Bills sign HC Sean McDermott to multi year extension.

Trentwannabe

16 hours ago, Danger said:

Eh he's alright. Good for Buffalo though, I know a lot of the past 2 decades has set the bar really low for them.

Bills and Dolphins in the '80s and '90s were six Super Bowl trips (a young Bills squad was also in the '88 AFC Championship game).

Bills and Dolphins since 2000...not so much. Two decades of being mostly forgotten.

Good to see Buffalo lock down a solid coach. 

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Not sure why some people are acting like he's some mediocre coach. As far as I can tell, he's one of the best coaches in the league.

He took a bad franchise and made it good (not great). His guys are well coached, well prepared every week. He has a limited number franchise players, maybe one elite player in Tre White, yet still gets a lot out of his team.

Maybe with a better team he gets more, but I can't fathom how people dislike the move - unless they're really clueless on how football works and expect extensions for only Belicheck-level coaches.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He took a bad franchise and made it good (not great). His guys are well coached, well prepared every week. He has a limited number franchise players, maybe one elite player in Tre White, yet still gets a lot out of his team.

Maybe with a better team he gets more, but I can't fathom how people dislike the move - unless they're really clueless on how football works and expect extensions for only Belicheck-level coaches.

To be fair, i think Edmunds, and Ed Oliver will be blue chip players, but i get what you’re saying that in current state this what he has. Obviously Diggs is a top 15 WR as well.

The most impressive thing is what he does with secondaries, Micah Hyde, and Jordan Poyer especially were cast offs that have become absolute studs for us, the #2 CB spot opposite of Tre has changed the last couple of years as well and still they are a top ranked secondary. Now that we have Oliver, and some better defensive line pieces i think the defense is about to go to a whole nother level which is scary.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think people have forgotten too that this Bills team is a rebuild. Making the playoffs year 1 was a happy accident. Everyone said the Bills were tanking after trading Watkins and Darby.

Going into year 4, there is only one player that has been with the Bills since before McDermott got here. That’s Jerry Hughes. They have completely flipped this roster over from what it was at the end of 2016. Heck even the 2017 playoff roster looks very different from last years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff said:

To be fair, i think Edmunds, and Ed Oliver will be blue chip players, but i get what you’re saying that in current state this what he has. Obviously Diggs is a top 15 WR as well.

Agreed, didn't think of these guys - I don't think they're Tre White level (White is in the "best player at their position" discussion) but they're absolutely core type guys you build around.

47 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Not sure why some people are acting like he's some mediocre coach. As far as I can tell, he's one of the best coaches in the league.

It is only the one guy who came in to troll on the forum he offered no reasoning other then benching a qb for one game who couldnt get over 150 yards passing and the offense couldnt post double digit points in a game. I have yet to see him discuss anything else on a bills thread before, so it isn't surprising that this guy is a hater. The bills defense was superb in 2017 and if they had any respectable qb on the team they could have done so much better but this guy continues to come in and push the tyrod benching and pretty much saying bills fans are delusional to think it is okay. Tyrod Taylor isn't a starting qb in this league for a reason. I liked the guy and still do thinking he is a great person but he just doesn't have the build or fit to be a starting caliber qb in this league. He will get his shot at the beginning of the year but herbert will be in come week 3. It was the right move to put a fire under Tyrod in order to get them through the season to even make the playoffs. Even then it wasn't because of Tyrod and more so to do with the Stout defense they have. It is what it is and this signing has to do with the overall takes he has done for the organization. When a HC who's specialty turns a Rex Ryan 26th ranked Defense in to a top 5 with in one season is tremendous work and that is something few coaches can do. Then he is continuing to build the offense in which I believe can be better and well enough to be a contender this year. 

The other key factor on this is continuity this is something the bills haven't had in over 2 decades and when a GM and/or HC get canned they want to scrap the previous regime's players and bring in their own. Thats why beane and mcdermott purged so much in 2017-2018 offseasons to get who they wanted in their locker room. By having this signing the players will make it to 2nd contracts with the bills and build a solid foundation in which they can then start upgrading their depth and finishing filling in the small holes. It will also show stability in the organization so when a Free Agent is looking at their options they may see Buffalo as a good spot as the front office and coaching staff is stable and players that are on the team will be able to reach out and say what it is like to play for this coach something we truly haven't had in years either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think people have forgotten too that this Bills team is a rebuild. Making the playoffs year 1 was a happy accident. Everyone said the Bills were tanking after trading Watkins and Darby.

You're right, this is huge. They're ahead of schedule, and with a division that will be without Tom Brady - that fast start is basically money in the bank for the AFCE post-Brady. 

Right now, the only team in that division with any sort of "big game" experience is Buffalo. That's going to pay dividends in the Regular Season, when there is a legitimate race to the title and not just the Brady and Belly show.

20 hours ago, Xmad said:

Oh bills fans 2.0.

Not a bills fan. But Tyrod was never more than a bridge QB. I think McDermott made the right decision given how awful Tyrod was previously to being benched.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

You're right, this is huge. They're ahead of schedule, and with a division that will be without Tom Brady - that fast start is basically money in the bank for the AFCE post-Brady. 

Right now, the only team in that division with any sort of "big game" experience is Buffalo. That's going to pay dividends in the Regular Season, when there is a legitimate race to the title and not just the Brady and Belly show.

Sky certainly seems like the limit for Buffalo. Really all comes down to Allen now. If he falters it at least looks like McDermott and Beane will get a chance to try again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I still have to give credit to the pats. Beli is still a big part of the reason they won too. Until the Bills beat them with starters in and on the road the AFCE is through NE. I do like where Buffalo is headed and they seem to be ahead of the Jets and Dolphins when it comes to the rebuild. I am confident that the Jets will be held back with Gase as HC. If you are a qb guy and an offensive mind HC yet your offenses still manage to be in the bottom half in rankings on all statistics, not to mention the issues he has with players current and past hasnt been so good. His only fame was when he had Peyton Manning as his qb in Denver. Chicago he was average, the plus was he did get Cutler to have a good season but nothing special. In Miami he flopped and caused a ton of issues. Not trying to offend anyone that is a Jet fan just explaining my reasoning as to why the jets will be held back. I think it is a make or break year for Gase. As for the Dolphins I am not sure how Flores will work out at times he looked like a smart HC but then at times he cost games which I will chalk up as rookie hc mistakes. I am curious how they will do with Tua and whether or not he can stay healthy at the pro level with his past injuries and if his play style transitions to the nfl level. Even with a questionable year I think the AFCE will be entertaining as there are several unknowns and we will be able to see how the future will be post brady, what Miami can do with a rookie qb, if the bills can become the contender they have been building over the past few years, and finally if the jets can get out of their own way on stuff. 3 young qbs to prove to their fans they are the franchise qb plus Stidham/Newton battle will be fun to watch.

• Like 1