Hall of Fame Coaches

Ninersfan1984

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I guess that also explains why he has Tomlin as a lock but Harbaugh needs to do more.

Yup. Steelers fans love to tout “he’s never had a losing season”, because when they miss the playoffs they usually go 8-8, but look at it this way...

Mike Tomlin has coached 13 seasons in Pittsburgh. In only - yes, of those seasons, has his team won a playoff game.

So in 9/13 seasons, Mike Tomlin’s teams have either failed to make the playoffs, or lost their first playoff game. That’s 69.2% of the seasons he’s been there.

The steelers essentially win a playoff game with Mike Tomlin at the helm 30% of the time.

Tomlin isn’t the lock and unanimous top-5 coach most people make him out to be. 

Absurd to say he’s a lock, and Harbaugh - who in 6/12 seasons (50%) has won at least one playoff game, and has an overall playoff record of 10-7 vs. Tomlin’s 8-7 - isn’t.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Archimedes said:

If McCarthy has success in Dallas the narrative will rapidly change.

We'll see how well he adapts to his new situation.

I think he's going to do very well in Dallas this year. The way MM handled the coaching tough spots was pretty cool to see. From the Favre-> Rodgers transition to Fail Mary; he was very much a CEO and strong leader. That bodes well for navigating through the COVID season ahead and for managing the Joneses.
There are blemishes of course, but 2nd time HC's have learned/grown so much from those blemishes that they're unlikely to repeat them.

As far as the HOF-  he's certainly not there yet, but with 125 wins + a Ring, he's on the path to get there 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I think he's going to do very well in Dallas this year. The way MM handled the coaching tough spots was pretty cool to see. From the Favre-> Rodgers transition to Fail Mary; he was very much a CEO and strong leader. That bodes well for navigating through the COVID season ahead and for managing the Joneses.
There are blemishes of course, but 2nd time HC's have learned/grown so much from those blemishes that they're unlikely to repeat them.

As far as the HOF-  he's certainly not there yet, but with 125 wins + a Ring, he's on the path to get there 

If he's as successful as, say, Holmgren was with Seattle - say MM gets 75 wins over 7-8 yrs, another SB appearance and maybe a win, I think he starts looking more impressive. 

6 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Where were we... Oh yeah.

AUTO: Belichick, Reid. Why is someone questioning Reid? He had some darn good teams for a long time in Philly.

MAYBE: Cowher (cuz I like him. Shoulda coached longer), Payton (he won a SB for that once sorry arse franchise) 

You can put Cowher as "AUTO" since he's getting inducted this year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Yup. Steelers fans love to tout “he’s never had a losing season”, because when they miss the playoffs they usually go 8-8, but look at it this way...

Mike Tomlin has coached 13 seasons in Pittsburgh. In only - yes, of those seasons, has his team won a playoff game.

So in 9/13 seasons, Mike Tomlin’s teams have either failed to make the playoffs, or lost their first playoff game. That’s 69.2% of the seasons he’s been there.

The steelers essentially win a playoff game with Mike Tomlin at the helm 30% of the time.

Tomlin isn’t the lock and unanimous top-5 coach most people make him out to be. 

Absurd to say he’s a lock, and Harbaugh - who in 6/12 seasons (50%) has won at least one playoff game, and has an overall playoff record of 10-7 vs. Tomlin’s 8-7 - isn’t.

They are both locks IMO, and are both generally underappreciated here on FF.

Your argument literally boils down to "he won 2 more playoff games" while ignoring the fact that Tomlin has won 15 more regular season games and has the same number of losses (and has been to two super bowls instead of one).

I mean they basically have the same resume, for all intents and purposes and I'm having trouble seeing either one out of the top 5 unless you are blinded by divisional hatred. 

• Like 3

On 8/14/2020 at 11:14 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Am I the only one questioning this?! Where did this even come from?

He told his entire locker room that he was glad that Big Ben got hurt after the game early in his career.    

He thinks Lamar is ahead of the rest of the team, and he's expressed that multiple times.  Granted, he's a genius for drafting him, but no head coach should ever act like that.  

33 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Man, it’s a travesty that Holmgren isn’t in the HOF. 

Holmgren is basically Bill Parcells, except he only rebuilt 2 franchises from complete disasters as opposed to 4 (although the Cowboys and Pats were in reasonable shape when Parcells took them over) and The Walrus is 1-2 in SBs whereas Parcells is 2-1. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

Your argument literally boils down to "he won 2 more playoff games" while ignoring the fact that Tomlin has won 15 more regular season games and has the same number of losses (and has been to two super bowls instead of one).

I mean they basically have the same resume, for all intents and purposes and I'm having trouble seeing either one out of the top 5 unless you are blinded by divisional hatred. 

Not to mention that those 2 coaches still have plenty of juice left to further build their HoF resumes. Harbaugh has several years left at 57. Tomlin isn't even 50. 

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

That’s not “literally what my argument boils down to”, lol, did you read it?

It has nothing to do with # of playoff wins, even though i acknowledged that later in my post.

My argument “literally boils down to” the fact that Tomlin has gone 9 of his 13 seasons in Pittsburgh either missing the playoffs or losing his first playoff game. All of 4 seasons in Tomlin’s Steelers career have amounted to a playoff win. 

He’s a good coach. My “he’s not the top 5 guy most people make him out to be” comment still stands.

Don’t warp the crux of my argument, thanks.

Edited by Ray Reed

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

He told his entire locker room that he was glad that Big Ben got hurt after the game early in his career.    

He thinks Lamar is ahead of the rest of the team, and he's expressed that multiple times.  Granted, he's a genius for drafting him, but no head coach should ever act like that.  

Yeah, no one believes you lol. Harbaugh never said either of those things. You just throwing crap at a wall saying he did doesn’t make it true.

• Like 1