Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

What parts being overestimated? The elite NT? The solid safety pairing. A couple very good EDGE players? Or is it the good-great CB duo?

People assume every other defense is loaded with talent.  

They’re not.

Ravens are #1 in the league and they’ve got virtually no talent on the front seven compared to our defense.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

They’re not.

Ravens are #1 in the league and they’ve got virtually no talent on the front seven compared to our defense.

Pretty disappointing, this D has some pieces to make it formidable, while the offense has enough capability to erase a few errors but it's just not the way it's being played.  Dislike.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:34 AM, incognito_man said:

I use the following algorithm to remember how:

Step 1: Type the "@" key

Whoa! Slow down, Coach. You're going too fast!

Requiring mazes of bizarre procedures for embedding images has been a very unfair obstacle to full participation from us older people. I roll back the VCR, pause the video, and I take pictures of really bad mistakes Pettine has made in his defensive schemes. I have a whole stack of photographs to share because the nice young man with the pink hair developed them at Walgreens for me. His name is Tamara. By the way, you don't actually throw away the disposable cameras. Tamara taught me that one after I went in to complain.

And if I ever figure out how to make that funny "a" instead of a 2, I might finally get a chance to post them.

If I don’t see blitzes today and the Texans score 30 or more I’m finding out how to use Twitter to make #FirePettine the number one trending topic in the world.

I don’t know how Twitter works, but I’ll do what I have to do to make this more popular than the election, than COVID, than the Estes Park fires and more popular than Twitter itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

If I don’t see blitzes today and the Texans score 30 or more I’m finding out how to use Twitter to make #FirePettine the number one trending topic in the world.

I don’t know how Twitter works, but I’ll do what I have to do to make this more popular than the election, than COVID, than the Estes Park fires and more popular than Twitter itself.

Given who we're playing, I think it's more important to stay in our rush lanes and make Watson beat us with his arm. if Pettine is going to blitz, he better put a spy on Watson. 

I'm unable to watch the Packers game live - only relying on the slow drip of news on the red zone channel. As a result I was able to find time to go back and look for my list of potential defensive coordinators I made earlier this year when there was a possibility of moving on from Pettine after the playoff loss to the 49ers. This was what I came up with:

Wade Phillips - on same staff with LaFleur at Rams.  However at 72 years old it would go against LaFleur's youth movement if his coaching hires is anything to go by.

Kris Richard - coached in Seattle with LaFleur's old boss Dan Quinn and Robert Saleh. He's a big name candidate and is very available. He will definitely be on the radar.

Joe Woods - naturally because of his connection to Shanahan, Saleh and Morris. Has previous coordinating experience - definitely one to keep an eye on.

Raheem Morris - unless he is fired by the Falcons he's currently not an option for LaFleur but has strong history with LaFleur at Redskins and Falcons, and with Shanahan at Tampa.

Jim Leonard - Only because he is familiar with Pettine's scheme and he might be able to build upon the foundations laid down by Pettine.

Jeff Ulbrich - Another Falcons connection with LaFleur. Currently Assistant Head coach/Linebackers coach for Falcons. Dark Horse candidate.

Richard Smith - Was coordinator at Houston when LaFleur was there as assistant. Coordinator again at Falcons when LaFleur was QB coach. Currently Chargers LB coach.

Greg Manusky- vast coordinating experience, worked with McVay. No direct connection to LaFleur.

Joe Barry - LB coach at Rams with LaFleur, currently assistant head coach/LB coach. Worked with Shanahan at Tampa way back in 2004. Had 2 previous coordinator gigs at Lions and Redskins.

Frank Bush - another name that keeps popping up. Worked with both LaFleur and Shanahan. Was coordinator at Houston. Been assistant head coach/LB coach for the last 3 years with Miami and Jets.

Lou Spanos - currently coordinator at UConn. On staff with LaFleur at Redskins. Was at Titans but missed each other by a year.

Perry Fewell - Experienced coach with coordinating experience at Bills and Giants. Worked with McVay at Redskins but no direct connection to LaFleur.

Aubrey Pleasant - DB coach at Rams, knows LaFleur from Rams and Redskins.

Marquand Manuel - Former Packer. He was on same staff as LaFleur at Atlanta in 2015. Was coordinator at Falcons before being fired in 2018. Unlikely candidate for coordinator though.

Johnny Holland - a name older Packers fans should recognise. Worked alongside both LaFleur and Shanahan. Now 54 years old, not sure if he has the chops to be coordinator.

DeMeco Ryans - Was playing at Houston when LaFleur and Shanahan was there. Shanahan brought him to 49ers as ILB coach. Now completing his 2nd season as ILB coach it might be too soon for him to step up to coordinator. Still only 35.

Tyrone McKenzie - very familar with LaFleur from Rams and Titans but probably too early for him to take the next step up to coordinator.

Jim Haslett - was Redkins coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach. I suspect he's retired otherwise he would've joined McCarthy at Cowboys.

If the defensive coordinator we hire has a prior connection to LaFleur then names such as  Morris, Ulbrich, Barry makes some sense. He's also friends with Saleh so there may be a guy on the 49ers defensive staff he might like.

We know that LaFleur is open to hiring someone who he never worked with as he has done so several times with his staff.  Someone on teams with good performing defences such as Chris Hewitt (Baltimore), Eric Washington (Buffalo),  Teryl Austin (Pittsburgh),  Alan Williams (Indianapolis), Larry Foote (Tampa) are possible candiates.

Whoever we hire it needs to be someone who has the connections to build a good coaching staff. Am I correct in thinking the vast majority of names I listed play 4-3 defence?

Edited by Chili

20 points is progress.  Second lowest of the season, and to a pretty good offense.  Also down Savage, King and one other player.  Maybe. 

If we can go back-to-back weeks giving up less than 23 points I'll have faith that the defense can click at some point. 

Still not a fan of a lot of things Pettine did this game, but loved seeing the blitzes.  It's about ****ing time Pettine reminded teams and put out some tape showing he's willing to send a blitz. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

20 points is progress.  Second lowest of the season, and to a pretty good offense.  Also down Savage, King and one other player.  Maybe. 

If we can go back-to-back weeks giving up less than 23 points I'll have faith that the defense can click at some point. 

Still not a fan of a lot of things Pettine did this game, but loved seeing the blitzes.  It's about ****ing time Pettine reminded teams and put out some tape showing he's willing to send a blitz. 

I really want to see this defense full strength with Barnes and Martin in there. Packers may, for the first time in a long time, have a really solid combo there. Could help our unit tremendously.

Also, I've dogged him a lot and I own it, but M. Adams is showing up a little. Hope it continues. Actually think Lowry may currently be our worst DL on the 53. Less of him and more of Adams/Keke/Lancaster with Clark. 

On 10/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, Outpost31 said:

They’re not.

Wow, that's just crazy wrong.

If you're confusing talent with draft status, then you must have really hated Sam Shields & Tramon Williams at CB for the Packers. And, you can't think much of Barnes & Martin at ILB moving forward.

But, there is a lot of draft capital on the Ravens' D. A couple 1st rounders at CB. I think a 1st, 2nd & a couple 3rds at LB. Then there's trades & FA's. The Ravens spent a fortune on FA safeties and a bunch of money & assets on a very talented DL.

So, yeah, even for your standards, you really missed on this one.