Training Camp News

dll2000

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Would you say this was the second most puzzling of a play you've ever seen in any sport at any level?

Reporters: This was probably Mitch’s best practice as a Bear.

Fans: What about that 2 yard loss?

Perspective. Who gives a crap about a 2 yard loss when he is playing well.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Reporters: This was probably Mitch’s best practice as a Bear.

Fans: What about that 2 yard loss?

Perspective. Who gives a crap about a 2 yard loss when he is playing well.

He has no chance if people expect perfection. And they do, no matter how irrational or unrealistic it is. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He has no chance if people expect perfection. And they do, no matter how irrational or unrealistic it is. 

I don’t think Mitch is going to be good. I would love it for the Bears sake.

But the people who jumped all over Foles jock like he was going to save the Bears was sad. Twitter was just a flame with “the Bears are 10-6 easy with Foles“. 

Now that he isn’t crushing Mitch in this competition it has rattled them.

16 hours ago, dafreak said:

Agree, and at least 10-15, he looks thicker...

Could be.  We had him over 250lbs at one point in 2018 then it seems he went back to playing at 235-240lbs again.

Some talk about adding weight before camp knowing they'll lose it as the season progresses.  Floyd could be one of them.

Edited by soulman

On 8/19/2020 at 7:53 PM, soulman said:

Sounds like Pace's investment if TE's is paying off.  Graham is having a great camp so far.

JG to Packers........"I'll be back".

Kevin Tolliver was asked how Jimmy Graham looks. His answer: "Like The Terminator ... he looks like him, he walks like him and everything."
11:38 AM · Aug 20, 2020·TweetDeck

Also from Adam Hoge: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-qb-competition-mitch-trubiskys-late-mistake-overshadows-superb-practice

Bears QB Competition: Mitch Trubisky’s late mistake overshadows superb practice

To the naked eye, Mitch Trubisky had one of his best training camp practices in a Bears uniform Thursday.

But his head coach wasn’t waiting to hand him a trophy afterward.

“I thought there were some good decisions that he made with throws. There were a few where he was late on a couple routes, as well,” Matt Nagy said. “Nick (Foles), the same thing.”

RELATED: Day 3 Takeaways: Akiem Hicks – And Rest Of D-Line – Win The Day

There’s no doubt there’s been a shift in public accountability with Trubisky. The fourth-year pro, who celebrated his 26th birthday Thursday, may have had a good practice, but he also committed a critical error on his last dropback of the day. On first-and-goal at the 1-yard-line, Trubisky rolled to his right and couldn’t find an open receiver. Instead of throwing the ball away, he simply ran out of bounds for a loss, something he’s done multiple times during his career.

“Those are critical errors that we can’t have. He’s not going to do that again. He’s going to fix it and move on,” Nagy said. “That’s a situational play that we need to be 2nd-and-goal at the 1 and not 2-and-goal at the 3. He’ll fix that problem and move on and he’ll do better tomorrow.”

When training camp started, Nagy vowed to be honest about how both Trubisky and Foles perform and he wasn’t afraid to hold Trubisky accountable Thursday.

“What did I tell you a few weeks ago? We’re going to tell them when they played crappy and we’re going to tell them when they play well,” Nagy said. “Whether that’s the accuracy of a throw or whether that’s a decision.”

RELATED: Great Defense No Excuse If Trubisky, Foles Struggle 

With that, it’s my turn to do the same with observations on the quarterback beat from Thursday:

Mitch Trubisky

Here’s the thing. Despite the mistake at the end of practice, Trubisky looked great. Nagy emphasized the need for both quarterbacks to improve their accuracy in 7-on-7 drills and Trubisky only had one incompletion the entire session. In fairness, the difficultly level of some of the throws can be debated and Nagy admitted Trubisky was late on some his passes. Without the benefit of coaches’ tape, it’s usually never as good as it looks live or as bad as it looks. Still, Trubisky has improved in each practice this week. In particular, a tight-window throw to Riley Ridley up the middle and a great throw to tight end Eric Saubert for a touchdown stood out Thursday. 

Nick Foles

By contrast, Foles wasn’t nearly as accurate during the early 7-on-7 session. He did bounce back with a nice deep ball to Javon Wims for a touchdown though. A lot of Thursday’s practice focused on the running game with high-percentage throws mixed in. Not surprisingly, Foles excelled with those. If not for a drop late, he would have been perfect in the final period.

The winner

The nod goes to Trubisky for the second straight practice. He looked confident and got in a groove early, while Foles struggled to connect during the same period. Both quarterbacks finished strong and Trubisky’s mental blunder at the end of practice – while frustrating – wasn’t enough to spoil a good birthday. The important question is, will the coaching staff be as forgiving?

Final word

Nagy on what’s coming up in the quarterback competition: “A lot of it is going to be more of game-like situations. Maybe some live, situational stuff. Similar-type scrimmages, that sort of thing, as we start putting together the scripts. So some of that stuff will be coming up here, which I think you guys will see.”

To this point, most of what we’ve seen has resembled normal training camp practices. With no preseason games, the coaching staff will need to find a way to simulate live pressure as much as possible. The Bears were supposed to be in Denver this week practicing against the Broncos before playing them Saturday in their second preseason game. That would have provided a great, week-long test for Trubisky and Foles. Instead, the Bears simulate what they can at Halas Hall. No one is going to let the quarterbacks get hit, but some scrimmaging shouldn’t be too far away. 

Podcast:  https://art19.com/shows/under-center-podcast/episodes/55d28e85-a0cc-449b-bf78-8c674bec416f/embed#

11 hours ago, G08 said:

Would you say this was the second most puzzling of a play you've ever seen in any sport at any level?

I was actually going to say that if he continues to do this it'll become the norm and not so puzzling anymore 😅

To be fair, this is training camp and throwing a ball into the ground for no reason in a regular season game is much dumber, but like it's year 4. How does he continue to do this?

I will say: the offseason rumors of his mechanics being tighter do look to be the case. He seems to be getting the ball out quicker and his arm is close to his body. The motion resembles Romo's

Edited by beardown3231

2 hours ago, malagabears said:

OK, I am back after a small hiatus. @soulman get the coffee brewing. 😝

Been up since 2:00 AM but then you already knew that.  You're the only friend I have who knows there's a good chance I'll answer the phone in the wee hours of the day. LOL

I'm coffee'd out by now and filled in on all of yesterdays news.  Time to work on my guitars.  🙃

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I will say: the offseason rumors of his mechanics being tighter do look to be the case. He seems to be getting the ball out quicker and his arm is close to his body. The motion resembles Romo's

I thought the same thing when I watched the Training Camp Highlights, over and over again, at 0.25% speed on YouTube.

I'm not embarrassed.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think Mitch is going to be good. I would love it for the Bears sake.

But the people who jumped all over Foles jock like he was going to save the Bears was sad. Twitter was just a flame with “the Bears are 10-6 easy with Foles“. 

Now that he isn’t crushing Mitch in this competition it has rattled them.

My point was that in the eyes of most fans him simply being good wouldn’t be enough anyway. To many (and maybe most), if he’s not great he’s not good enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Hoge and Finley are saying Mitch won today as well.

That is 4-1 for Mitch.

Positive news. He is the one that gives us some upside.

I'm curbing my excitement here for a few reasons. 

1) Non-contact practices

2) Very little of actual footage to base it on. 

3) Mitch playing against a defense without Mack, Hicks, and Quinn on the field at the same time. 

4) Have heard very little about OL. 

58 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm curbing my excitement here for a few reasons. 

1) Non-contact practices

2) Very little of actual footage to base it on. 

3) Mitch playing against a defense without Mack, Hicks, and Quinn on the field at the same time. 

4) Have heard very little about OL. 

100%. But beats him showing up and sucking.