Alcohol Thread!

Glen

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I just can't do scotch. I've tried it so many times, but I just hate it.

I'll drink bourbon or rye or Canadian or Irish neat all day, but it is an awful experience to try to choke down scotch. 

I will never understand why people would ruin good whisky with that horrendous peat flavor. 

*as he sips from a dram of scotch he says to himself* self “I guess not everyone can have good taste”. 

• Like 2

There is a small distillery in Eden Prairie, MN called Flying Dutchman, and they make the best gin I have ever had. Very floral and very smooth.

Are there any widely available gins that have a nice floral flavor? Generally I would go with Bombay but it just isn't the same.

@skywindO2 - you should check them out if you've never been there.

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

There is a small distillery in Eden Prairie, MN called Flying Dutchman, and they make the best gin I have ever had. Very floral and very smooth.

Are there any widely available gins that have a nice floral flavor? Generally I would go with Bombay but it just isn't the same.

@skywindO2 - you should check them out if you've never been there.

I've heard good things about the place from friends. Would love to a good gin drink, especially gin rickeys. Bombay is my go-to gin too so I think I'd like it there.

I bought a bottle of Pisco when I was in Peru and I've been trying to make a Pisco Sour as good as the ones I drank there but I'm going to use up the bottle before I get there I think. :( 

On 12/18/2017 at 8:24 PM, Heimdallr said:

I just can't do scotch. I've tried it so many times, but I just hate it.

I'll drink bourbon or rye or Canadian or Irish neat all day, but it is an awful experience to try to choke down scotch. 

I will never understand why people would ruin good whisky with that horrendous peat flavor. 

Same. I'm a rye guy. Never liked a scotch I've tried. I feel like it must be a status thing or something :)

20 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

There is a small distillery in Eden Prairie, MN called Flying Dutchman, and they make the best gin I have ever had. Very floral and very smooth

12 hours ago, The Gnat said:

How did I not know about this place? I'm always looking for good gin and the new distilleries.

Might have to work out a trade for some gin. We have a really good gin distillery in town that does some flavored stuff that works really well in different drinks.

I don't know of any widely available gins that are floral forward. Big Gin has pretty broad distribution, and is well balanced. If you was a juniper forward gin, online order some St Augustine Distillery New World Gin (Unless you live in that part of FL). It's my favorite, and I've had a lot of people tell me it's the best they've ever tried.

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

Might have to work out a trade for some gin. We have a really good gin distillery in town that does some flavored stuff that works really well in different drinks.

I don't know of any widely available gins that are floral forward. Big Gin has pretty broad distribution, and is well balanced. If you was a juniper forward gin, online order some St Augustine Distillery New World Gin (Unless you live in that part of FL). It's my favorite, and I've had a lot of people tell me it's the best they've ever tried.

Are you in Colorado? I go out there a couple times a year for work. Anything good I should pick up?

18 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

@MrDrew I either stay in Boulder or Longmont, but could obviously stop anywhere in Denver on my way to/from the airport too. I'm also planning on driving up to Fort Collins one of these times to check out New Belgium

Don't waste your time with New Belgium. It's always packed, with a wait, and you have to be there first thing when they open to get a ticket for a tour. Fort Collins is a cool town that has a lot of other good breweries in it.

If you're staying in Longmont/Boulder, you're around the best beer in the state, and some of the best int the country. The breweries I would definitely go to are Oskar Blues, Avery, Left Hand, Big Choice, Upslope, Boulder, and if you can get in Mountain Sun. If you make your way into Denver, there's a lot of other good ones, but I really like Strange Craft.

As far as distilleries go, Stranahan's is good whiskey. Leopald Bros is supposed to be good gin, but I haven't had it yet.

If you make your way into Colorado Springs, Lee Sprits is my #2 gin. Their tasting room is a speakeasy called Brooklyn's on Boulder.

If you want a cool speakeasy experience, there's a really cool one in Denver call B&GC. Google how to get in before going because they won't let you in if you don't do it right. 

10 hours ago, MrDrew said:

If you was a juniper forward gin, online order some St Augustine Distillery New World Gin (Unless you live in that part of FL).

That does sound really good. 

http://www.vikredistillery.com/products

Vikre does a really solid Juniper gin, the Cedar is also good. One of my preferred spots to get Gin from here in Minnesota.

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Same. I'm a rye guy. Never liked a scotch I've tried. I feel like it must be a status thing or something :)

I used to be the same way, but scotches can vary so much in their taste that you may want to try a few others.

I tried a half dozen different scotches and always wondered how folks could pretend to enjoy drinking the stuff.

Then I went to visit family and arrived at my dad's house late one evening and wanted a drink before calling it a night after a few hours of driving and all he had was Glenmorangie.  I thought I'd knock back a shot or two and call it a night but after I tasted the first shot I was kind of impressed.  Instead of another shot I poured some over ice and sipped it and found I really liked it. Now it's one of my favorite liquors.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I used to be the same way, but scotches can vary so much in their taste that you may want to try a few others.

I tried a half dozen different scotches and always wondered how folks could pretend to enjoy drinking the stuff.

Then I went to visit family and arrived at my dad's house late one evening and wanted a drink before calling it a night after a few hours of driving and all he had was Glenmorangie.  I thought I'd knock back a shot or two and call it a night but after I tasted the first shot I was kind of impressed.  Instead of another shot I poured some over ice and sipped it and found I really liked it. Now it's one of my favorite liquors.

I believe you. I was mostly kidding, i can see how people enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

That does sound really good. 

http://www.vikredistillery.com/products

Vikre does a really solid Juniper gin, the Cedar is also good. One of my preferred spots to get Gin from here in Minnesota.

I'm seeing some really good reviews on the Cedar. Might have to order some.

http://leespirits.com/products/

That's the local one that we go to when we go out that the tasting room is a speakeasy. They also have a Coco Gin that sounds really weird, but it just works. They make some random ones in house for the bar like a pink peppercorn, a wood staved, and right now they have an allspice. They told me how to make the wood staved, and the pink peppercorn with their dry gin, so I'm going to give those a whirl. The wood staved finishes like a whiskey.