Alcohol Thread!

Glen

3 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

I'm seeing some really good reviews on the Cedar. Might have to order some.

http://leespirits.com/products/

That's the local one that we go to when we go out that the tasting room is a speakeasy. They also have a Coco Gin that sounds really weird, but it just works. They make some random ones in house for the bar like a pink peppercorn, a wood staved, and right now they have an allspice. They told me how to make the wood staved, and the pink peppercorn with their dry gin, so I'm going to give those a whirl. The wood staved finishes like a whiskey. 

Man, all of those sound really good. You'll have to let us know how to make those wood staved/pink peppercorn if they turn out well.

13 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Man, all of those sound really good. You'll have to let us know how to make those wood staved/pink peppercorn if they turn out well.

pHH681l.jpg

The Saucy Lady is the reason I wanted to make the peppercorn. It was my wife's favorite drink, and it was only for an anniversary weekend. The Says You might be the best cocktail I've ever had, and I'd never seen a bartender so happy to make a drink as when I ordered it. I will definitely let you know if they turn out even half as good as those guys made it. 

On 8/11/2017 at 7:36 AM, skywindO2 said:

Same, for beer at least. For liquor I'm mostly a rum drinker and don't know of any local rums, don't expect to find many either. Our beer scene is fantastic though. 

Try Plantation Pineapple. At the mid $30's, it is a great sipper...or just squeeze a 1/2 Clementine or Mandarin in it. Absolute heaven. 

On 8/9/2017 at 2:19 PM, MrDrew said:

So what is everybody's go-to gin? 

I've been buying one from a local distillery, but they only have local distribution right now. If I can't get theirs, I'll buy Big Gin.  

I can only get my favorite from Florida, and shipping isn't cheap. New World Gin from St Augustine Distillery is great if you ever get the chance. 

Desert Juniper. Made in Oregon. About  $38.00. 

On 12/18/2017 at 7:24 PM, Heimdallr said:

I just can't do scotch. I've tried it so many times, but I just hate it.

I'll drink bourbon or rye or Canadian or Irish neat all day, but it is an awful experience to try to choke down scotch. 

I will never understand why people would ruin good whisky with that horrendous peat flavor. 

I kinda get that.  But also, don't get that at all.

I feel that way about a quite a few Scotches tbh, whenever they start venturing into that extra smokey territory...it just becomes so hard to appreciate anything else about it.  The much ballyhooed Islay's paramount among them.  Like trying to drink an ashtray or something.  But there are also plenty of Scotches that aren't just overwhelmed by peaty qualities, which are absolutely fantastic.  Way broader range of palettes than Bourbon/Rye/Irish whiskeys.  Like...i grab a small batch bourbon an i have a pretty decent idea what to expect.  Still haven't found one i didn't at least enjoy a bit.  But a blind grab of a scotch may be amazing, or barely drinkable for me.  Kind of a risk/reward thing for the price, until you start refining down to the sorts of scotch you actually enjoy.  Not that hard a thing to do though imo.

I'm not a fan of most bars, but I like the new speakeasy movement. They're definitely more my speed. Since we've been finding them, we've also been learning some about the history, prohibition era, and the drinks from that time. My wife is pretty smart, and bought me this book

CeK6lrL.jpg

It a history lesson on the dry times, how they got around the laws, the history of the drinks during that time, and recipes. Definitely worth a read if any of that sounds interesting.