Montgomery hurt

beardown3231

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

So...I go against the grain a little bit concerning RB's.  I'm not paying them top dollar on a second deal.  But I will give them an extension before the rookie deal is up and try to lock them in around 5-8M/year for 3 years.  That would give the team about 7 years of "control".  And it more or less gets around the rookie wage scale and rewards them early.  But if the cost goes to 10M or north?  Easy thing to pass on.

Early extensions like that are actually a really clever idea, and something that's occurred to me (and some others here) before. Why teams don't actually do that is beyond me. 

Just now, G08 said:

I'm not sure I agree:

6'2" 232 lbs

1.62/2.60/4.52 dash

10'02" broad

4.16 short shuttle

6.95 short shuttle

Why I don't look at numbers.  It has to show and translate on field.  It's not a track meet.

Granted I obviously haven't watched camp this year.  Maybe light has come on.   

Just now, dll2000 said:

Why I don't look at numbers.  It has to show and translate on field.  It's not a track meet.

Granted I obviously haven't watched camp this year.  Maybe light has come on.   

I liked him beforehand as well, look at his feet man:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Early extensions like that are actually a really clever idea, and something that's occurred to me (and some others here) before. Why teams don't actually do that is beyond me. 

It's a smart play for the team.  My guess is it doesn't happen often because agents are advising their clients about how lucrative free agency can be.  Or a franchise tagged year.

Guess I feel like a lot of players don't truly understand contracts and the "outs" that take money away from them.  Guaranteed/bonus money is what it is.  I think they get that.  But, when you tack on a few more years and inflate the base salary, there's little chance that a RB sees that entire thing.  Whereas the extension may show less overall money than a FA deal, but they would be much more likely to earn every cent on that contract.

What is interesting to me is next year.  There should be a slew of potential free agents that sign quick extensions now, load this year's number, take less next year when the cap is supposedly going down.  Then have a handshake deal that they will get extended to a new deal next year if the cap rises.  I have a hard time believing that many guys are going to get top dollar in free agency next year, so many may be wise to do those extensions this year.

But...we shall see.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It's a smart play for the team.  My guess is it doesn't happen often because agents are advising their clients about how lucrative free agency can be.  Or a franchise tagged year.

Guess I feel like a lot of players don't truly understand contracts and the "outs" that take money away from them.  Guaranteed/bonus money is what it is.  I think they get that.  But, when you tack on a few more years and inflate the base salary, there's little chance that a RB sees that entire thing.  Whereas the extension may show less overall money than a FA deal, but they would be much more likely to earn every cent on that contract.

What is interesting to me is next year.  There should be a slew of potential free agents that sign quick extensions now, load this year's number, take less next year when the cap is supposedly going down.  Then have a handshake deal that they will get extended to a new deal next year if the cap rises.  I have a hard time believing that many guys are going to get top dollar in free agency next year, so many may be wise to do those extensions this year.

But...we shall see.

Its hard to be in 20s and making rational financial decisions.   Especially if you grew up as best athlete in your area by far as 99% of these guys did.   Hurts your mental development and maturity.   

Just now, dll2000 said:

Its hard to be in 20s and making rational financial decisions.   Especially if you grew up as best athlete in your area by far as 99% of these guys did.   Hurts your mental development and maturity.   

Agents are there to advise their clients who may not understand those things.  Unfortunately, I don't think agents really convey truly what a the contract means as far as yearly payout and potential "outs".  Let alone relate that to the history of running backs.  To an agent, I feel like it is more about the guaranteed money and the total amount in the contract.  Gotta get the biggest contract you can, right?  Looks good on paper.  But my guess is that many of those guys would be better off financially doing that extension with a contract that is more likely to be completely honored.

Years ago, GB lost a DE named Gabe Wilkens.  Got like a 5 year $20 deal somewhere.  Maybe the 49ers.  I saw that thing and I think it was like all back loaded.  Anyone who saw that thing knew he was going to get his guaranteed cash, plus 2 years of low salary.  After that he needed to be playing at an All-Pro level to get any additional salary, and that additional salary in years 3-5 contained most of the money.  And?  He got injured and was cut after two years.  Not sure if he really played after that.

I don't blame the players, or their youth.  Guess I feel that there are many players that "get it" and some that simply do not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Agents are there to advise their clients who may not understand those things.  Unfortunately, I don't think agents really convey truly what a the contract means as far as yearly payout and potential "outs".  Let alone relate that to the history of running backs.  To an agent, I feel like it is more about the guaranteed money and the total amount in the contract.  Gotta get the biggest contract you can, right?  Looks good on paper.  But my guess is that many of those guys would be better off financially doing that extension with a contract that is more likely to be completely honored.

Years ago, GB lost a DE named Gabe Wilkens.  Got like a 5 year $20 deal somewhere.  Maybe the 49ers.  I saw that thing and I think it was like all back loaded.  Anyone who saw that thing knew he was going to get his guaranteed cash, plus 2 years of low salary.  After that he needed to be playing at an All-Pro level to get any additional salary, and that additional salary in years 3-5 contained most of the money.  And?  He got injured and was cut after two years.  Not sure if he really played after that.

I don't blame the players, or their youth.  Guess I feel that there are many players that "get it" and some that simply do not.

I agree except for last part.  Obviously you are smarter or wiser at 40 than 21.

Not all agents are created equal.  Just like anything.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I agree except for last part.  Obviously you are smarter or wiser at 40 than 21.

Not all agents are created equal.  Just like anything.  

I don't know about the bolded part.  When I was 21, I knew EVERYTHING!  :)

Very much agree about agents.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, G08 said:

I liked him beforehand as well, look at his feet man:

Nall is kind of a "freight train" RB.  If the OL can create some daylight and he can get his speed and momentum up he can be an effective RB but he's not what I would call "nifty" or a guy whose gonna make NFL tackler miss.  Poor man's John Riggins would be a comparison.