PFF Rankings: Ranking all 32 offenses ahead of the 2020 NFL season

TecmoSuperJoe

The Browns at #19 despite Pro Bowlers at both WR spots, their TE spot, and having one of the best RB in the NFL, not to mention Hunt as a backup/rotational piece, and multiple Pro Bowl OL and a Top 10 rookie pick at LT, shows just how much faith everyone has in Baker Mayfield. Good times.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, MWil23 said:

The Browns at #19 despite Pro Bowlers at both WR spots, their TE spot, and having one of the best RB in the NFL, not to mention Hunt as a backup/rotational piece, and multiple Pro Bowl OL and a Top 10 rookie pick at LT, shows just how much faith everyone has in Baker Mayfield. Good times.

PFF tends to really like Baker as far as I can tell. I think it's more of a lower ranking until "proven otherwise" type of thing.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, MWil23 said:

But Mayfield was ahead of Tannehill on the QB rankings. What a joke

On 9/3/2020 at 10:35 AM, DoleINGout said:

PFF hating on the Bills offense too much. I agree with a lot of the rankings and conclusions based on this article but some of their projections I think are flat out wrong.

It's criminal the way they hate on the Bills

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Pretty ignorant on the Lions, but #7 seems a little rich.

Not to be a homer, but why?

Stafford before going down with injury was top 7 at QB last season. 

RB has Kerryon Johnson, rookie D’Andre Swift, Adrian Peterson (now), Bo Scarborough and Ty Johnson. That is solid running depth for the first time ever in Stafford’s career. 

WR showcases Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr and Danny Amendola. That’s a very solid trio. Marvin Hall produced a number of big plays for the Lions last season and they added Quintez Cephus who resembled Anquan Boldin when he played for the Lions. 

TE has TJ Hockenson and Jesse James. If Hockenson stays healthy, he’s a big target for Stafford. Rookie Hunter Bryant is a question mark off the bench. 

The OL is a question mark but they return LT Taylor Decker and C Frank Ragnow and added two promising rookie Gs in Jackson and Stenberg. If they can keep Stafford upright, I’m having a hard time seeing this shaky unit ruining a very stout plethora of playmakers. 

Detroit will continue to live and die by their defense/Special Teams. The offense is quit good however. 

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Not to be a homer, but why?

Stafford before going down with injury was top 7 at QB last season. 

RB has Kerryon Johnson, rookie D’Andre Swift, Adrian Peterson (now), Bo Scarborough and Ty Johnson. That is solid running depth for the first time ever in Stafford’s career. 

WR showcases Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr and Danny Amendola. That’s a very solid trio. Marvin Hall produced a number of big plays for the Lions last season and they added Quintez Cephus who resembled Anquan Boldin when he played for the Lions. 

TE has TJ Hockenson and Jesse James. If Hockenson stays healthy, he’s a big target for Stafford. Rookie Hunter Bryant is a question mark off the bench. 

The OL is a question mark but they return LT Taylor Decker and C Frank Ragnow and added two promising rookie Gs in Jackson and Stenberg. If they can keep Stafford upright, I’m having a hard time seeing this shaky unit ruining a very stout plethora of playmakers. 

Detroit will continue to live and die by their defense/Special Teams. The offense is quit good however. 

Not going to pretend to be an expert here, but that doesn’t really appear like a top 7 offense on paper. The running back group has some nice potential, but you’d probably put them around league average as a backfield (for now). Similar with that group at tight end, lots of potential in Hock but untapped so far. The receivers are for sure a good group, but again, not really sure I’d have them as a top 7 receiving core. Admittedly I couldn’t tell you much on the OL, but it appears to be a consensus that they leave some to be desired. And then there’s Stafford - was playing very well last season (against some pretty bad secondaries, let’s be honest) until breaking his back, but does anyone outside of Detroit really have faith that that’s the Stafford we’re going to be getting for the future? Almost across the board, it was pretty much an anomaly year for him. Would you say Stafford’s a top 7 QB? I’d be pretty hard pressed to call anyone but Golladay a playmaker right now for that team. Hock, KJ, and Swift likely show out this year, but for now you have to call em and you see em. 

So from my very uneducated POV, no aspect of that offense, even on their own, really constitutes a 7th rank. Not the running back group, not the tight ends, not the receivers (although they’re probably close if you really forced me to rank them), not the offensive line, and not the QB. Maybe the sum of it’s parts are better than the groups pieced out like that, but that’s just how I see it. I don’t expect it to stay this way as they have some young players who will likely exceed expectations (though I think Jones has lost a step, used to be a big fan of his, Danny too).