Bears at Lions - Week 1

dll2000

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We are the worst screen team to ever exist.

You can’t run screens if teams aren’t afraid of deep ball.

You can’t run anything if teams aren’t afraid of deep ball.

You have to be able to attack any area of field with your offense or the defense has too big an advantage.

This is the problem with the Bears at moment.  They have to show they can attack downfield.  They have to show they can attack downfield left or away from A Rob.

If they can’t they aren’t going to be able run the ball, run RPOs or throw screens.

Oline giving protection, Mooney/Ginn or Miller getting open and MT hitting them are going to be key whether Bears have an effective offense or not.

I guarantee defensive game plan is stop the run and A Rob.  Make MT beat you deep.   

You can’t line up in single back sets and just slam ball down people’s throat when they are geared to stop it and coming downhill.  Against any NFL defense no matter how bad.   The run game in that offense is all about backing defense off, keeping LBs from being aggressive and running with even numbers.   

On 9/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, dll2000 said:

it will be interesting to see what they come up with for running game in game 1.  Especially if Monty doesn’t play.  

Inside zone with Cohen? 😁

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Bears win 45-2 (the offense is backed up in their own 5 and Cohen gets tackled in the end zone from a screen pass from Mitch). 

tenor.gif?itemid=4783226

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, dll2000 said:

I can guarantee Lions game plan will be focused on stopping run and mid range passing game.   

I think that's a good take. I also think we'll see more long range stuff in the Bears' offense this season. So that plan may backfire on the Lions...

Edited by Heinz D.

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Inside zone with Cohen? 😁

tenor.gif?itemid=4783226

I know this a joke , but IZ with Cohen isn’t that bad IMO.  But it has to be set up as a keep you honest play.    I think Cohen did not come to play last year and I think the experiment with him at slot receiver with Monty at RB was a failure.  As teams simply used a DB and treated him as a slot receiver.  There was no match up advantage    

Cohen at RB and at his best is a match up threat.  LBs can’t cover him.  Especially Detroit’s LBs.   Plus when he isn’t overly dancing he can find lanes inside.  There was nothing last year.  No room because TEs and OL were missing blocks left and right and Bears had no downfield passing threat.  

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

20 - 17 Bears

We win with another uninspiring offensive performance, AP gets both of their TDs. Passrush and surprisingly good coverage smother their passing attack but Goldman's absence is immediately felt with their converting of 3rd and 2 or less. 

I really doubt we'll see many offensive gems from anybody for the first two or three weeks. Also, Goldman will surely be missed, but I'm not sure the Lions will be good enough that his absence will be glaring. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People have been hating on Cohen all offseason.  I think that is recency bias.  He had a crappy year, but previous two years he has been a dynamic playmaker.  

I think you're overstating his performance in his first two years. But I'm not going to argue that he wasn't better. Nagy needs to use him more intelligently, for one thing. As you pointed out, the whole slot receiver package with Cohen wasn't very productive. 

• Like 1

ya feels like nagy is going to get very creative w TEs and play calling  ALL of which geared toward  Mitch's REAL (NOT PERCEIVED OR HOPED FOR) strengths .... unlike last yr when Pace and Nagy set MT up as some big arm pocket pocket passer  ! play to his strengths and MT is good enough to win games  !

he is not good enough to carry a team to SB and win it, but good enough to start and win SB on a well balanced team, which we are  !

Edited by SLCbear