2020: Week 1 - @ Buffalo Bills

Bianconero

51 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

A lot of people forget that was our game last year, yes they won but we had chances. Missed kicks, Sam overthrowing Robby deep late, Mosley going down. They simply made plays when they needed and we didn't. It's not like we were thoroughly outplayed and outcoached. 

But they got better. We can’t say that we have for sure yet. The defense might not be as good. The WRs are a bunch of unknowns. It’s a brand new OL that is expected to have a learning curve. We are trending in the right direction. But IMO we just aren’t good enough to beat good football teams early in the season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But they got better. We can’t say that we have for sure yet. The defense might not be as good. The WRs are a bunch of unknowns. It’s a brand new OL that is expected to have a learning curve. We are trending in the right direction. But IMO we just aren’t good enough to beat good football teams early in the season. 

You're right but as you said we cant say for sure one way or the other so its tough to assume whether or not we'll be good. Remember before Buffalo become this "juggernaut"(not saying you feel that way but people think they're going to steamroll us) they were a laughing stock just like us. Same with many teams. Eventually a team just breaks through and it happens when no one sees it coming. 

I dont see why we cant beat them personally but that's me. Go Jets.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Hard to say we didn't given our CB and OL situations in that game plus a fully healthy Sam and his favorite target Herndon back.  Sure they added Diggs but we added a lot too.

27 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Hard to say we didn't given our CB and OL situations in that game plus a fully healthy Sam and his favorite target Herndon back.  Sure they added Diggs but we added a lot too.

On the surface it would appear correct. But as I said... do we really think this OL with 5 new starters in game 1 is going to look great? I don't. And I hope I'm wrong. Same at CB. WE have Poole back at CB who plays good, but Austin can blow several coverages just as easy as he can look good. Desir is new here and battled injuries a lot in camp and every CB after that is new as well. So the CB situation to start out is a lot like OL. Where it's trending up. But expect a learning curve.

As for Herndon... I like the guy a lot, But let's be real. We act like him coming back is like we are getting Kelce back. The guy hasn't done nearly enough to warrant this praise IMO. I hope he does have a breakout year. But a rookie year of 500yds and 4tds doesn't warrant me calling him this great weapon we are getting back. He needs to prove A LOT more for me than he does for others it seems.

What is going to be the starting O line for game one? The O line line  is the key to our offensive whether we succeed or fail this year. Sam Darnold is in his third year,  and  it is time he shows us why we drafted  him so high, His first two year he had to play behind the worst O line in the NFL. I love to see him throwing for a bunch of three hundred yard games. not sure we have the receivers to do that. 

Edited by doumeyer

29 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

What is going to be the starting O line for game one? The O line line  is the key to our offensive whether we succeed or fail this year. Sam Darnold is in his third year,  and  it is time he shows us why we drafted  him so high, His first two year he had to play behind the worst O line in the NFL. I love to see him throwing for a bunch of three hundred yard games. not sure we have the receivers to do that. 

Becton-Lewis-McGovern-Van Roten-Fant

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

On the surface it would appear correct. But as I said... do we really think this OL with 5 new starters in game 1 is going to look great? I don't. And I hope I'm wrong. Same at CB. WE have Poole back at CB who plays good, but Austin can blow several coverages just as easy as he can look good. Desir is new here and battled injuries a lot in camp and every CB after that is new as well. So the CB situation to start out is a lot like OL. Where it's trending up. But expect a learning curve.

As for Herndon... I like the guy a lot, But let's be real. We act like him coming back is like we are getting Kelce back. The guy hasn't done nearly enough to warrant this praise IMO. I hope he does have a breakout year. But a rookie year of 500yds and 4tds doesn't warrant me calling him this great weapon we are getting back. He needs to prove A LOT more for me than he does for others it seems.

Austin is in year 2 and had a good camp. I expect him to be fine. Desir will definitely be a case to watch. Poole and Maye are good, McDougald will be similar to Poole. Everyone else on the defense will be playing fast.

Herndon did go for 502 and 4 TDs but Kittle went for 515 and 2 TDS his rookie year then exploded for 88/1377/5. In terms of ability Herndon has got it(or maybe it’s the U bias in me lol) but I don’t expect him to get better as the year progresses and he’ll likely split time with Griffin, Wesco and Brown

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Austin is in year 2 and had a good camp. I expect him to be fine. Desir will definitely be a case to watch. Poole and Maye are good, McDougald will be similar to Poole. Everyone else on the defense will be playing fast.

Herndon did go for 502 and 4 TDs but Kittle went for 515 and 2 TDS his rookie year then exploded for 88/1377/5. In terms of ability Herndon has got it(or maybe it’s the U bias in me lol) but I don’t expect him to get better as the year progresses and he’ll likely split time with Griffin, Wesco and Brown

To play the other side Amaro went for 350 and 2 as a rookie not even starting and then fell off the map. But your point is exactly what I’m saying. He’s not a star TE until he proves it. So we can’t act like he’s this established great weapon when there’s very little to support that.

I hope like everyone else he does become that. But we can’t act like he’s that already. He is being floated around with guys on our offense like Bell and Crowder who have proven themselves so they at least warrant the label as weapon. Where Herndon hasn’t proven enough for me yet.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

To play the other side Amaro went for 350 and 2 as a rookie not even starting and then fell off the map. But your point is exactly what I’m saying. He’s not a star TE until he proves it. So we can’t act like he’s this established great weapon when there’s very little to support that.

I hope like everyone else he does become that. But we can’t act like he’s that already. He is being floated around with guys on our offense like Bell and Crowder who have proven themselves so they at least warrant the label as weapon. Where Herndon hasn’t proven enough for me yet.

Jace Amaro, ugh. Good point. 

The Jace Amaro comparison is scary. Nearly identical targets and receptions but Herndon did outproduce Amaro quite a bit with 150 more yards and double the TDs.

However...both essentially missing in year 2 and Jace was out of football the next year. Herndon has seemed to of had a great camp and has recovered from injury. We need him to be what all think hes capable of and maybe the offense wont completely suck.