Potential Trades

xrade

The trade deadline is in October after week 8, I believe.  Now that OTC has adjusted the 2021 cap space, there are several teams we may want to contact about trade options due to the dire nature of their cap situation.  I think we can trade for some players at a discount in terms of value if teams feel they are NOT SB bound.

New Orleans - projected to be $74M over the cap.  One player that stood out was Marshawn Lattimore.  A good CB at a position of need.  NO will have to do some serious restructuring and flat out releases to get under the cap.  They tried to get cute with using the Browns to complete a deal with Clowney, but the NFL said  Nay-Nay.  They are all in it for this year.  If things do not look overly promising bu October, a fire sale may occur.  Lattimore has a $10M base salary next year and will only be 25.  Trade for him and sign him to an extension to lower that number.

Atlanta - projected to be $37M over the cap.  Same situation as NO.  Dante Fowler has a high cap number next year that ends in 2022 and will be 27.  He is a little dicier because we would have to extend him to get the numbers down and will be entering the twilight of his effective career.  But he is an edge rusher that we could trade for cheaply.

Green Bay - projected to be $3M over.  Davante Adams is a potential target.  Adams will be 29 with a $16M hit.  Again an extension would be needed.  Like Fowler, he would certainly fill a need, but we run the risk of having a player on the downside towards the end of his contract.

There are plenty of other teams like Pit, Minn, KC, LVR that are in the red next year.  It may be a really good time to get some established talent for minimal trade value before the deadline.  We could wait until after the season for good players to be released, but those I mentioned will leave huge dead money.  A trade may be the only way to acquire them.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the fore site, I would trade a first for Marshawn Lattimore, and I think NO might go for that if they were out of the playoffs, but they won't be sure by Oct 8, so I dont think it would happen.  I don't think GB would trade Adams.  I think they would try and trade Rogers first since they drafted an early round QB this year.  I would not trade for Dante Fowler unless it was a very late(6 or7 round) draft pick.  I think if anything, he would be cut by Atlanta and we could sign him next year without parting with a pick.

You guys do know that the Jets will not trade for guys in their primes and looking for big contracts. This Jets team is a dumpster fire. The Jets will be trading away players for picks not the other way around. You will see guys like Crowder, Bell, and maybe Q being moved for draft picks. NO WAY WE TRADE FOR PLAYERS.

10 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

You guys do know that the Jets will not trade for guys in their primes and looking for big contracts. This Jets team is a dumpster fire. The Jets will be trading away players for picks not the other way around. You will see guys like Crowder, Bell, and maybe Q being moved for draft picks. NO WAY WE TRADE FOR PLAYERS.

The NFL, is not like MLB, or the NHL where they make trades all the time. It is tough to make trades in the NFL for one reason or another. When  the Viking  traded and got Herschel Walker from the Cowboys they gave up several first round picks, and one of those picks was Troy Aikman, the Viking lost big on that trade, even worst was when the Giants traded for a older Fran Tarkenton, and give up two first round picks, and a second round pick. Giants were the big loser on that trade. The best non trade is when the Jets did not trade for Kurt Cousins, remember when some people on this board where hot for Cousins, but to be honest we were very desperate to get a real QB. One of the craziest trades of all times was when the LA Rams sent nine players to the Cards for one player Ollie Matson who was a great player in those days.in the early fifties. Like they say the best trades are the ones you don't make.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The NFL, is not like MLB, or the NHL where they make trades all the time. It is tough to make trades in the NFL for one reason or another. When  the Viking  traded and got Herschel Walker from the Cowboys they gave up several first round picks, and one of those picks was Troy Aikman, the Viking lost big on that trade, even worst was when the Giants traded for a older Fran Tarkenton, and give up two first round picks, and a second round pick. Giants were the big loser on that trade. The best non trade is when the Jets did not trade for Kurt Cousins, remember when some people on this board where hot for Cousins, but to be honest we were very desperate to get a real QB. One of the craziest trades of all times was when the LA Rams sent nine players to the Cards for one player Ollie Matson who was a great player in those days.in the early fifties. Like they say the best trades are the ones you don't make.

This is also not like any other year in recent history.

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

This also could all be a part of JD's plan.  Save money for the lowered cap, accrue draft picks, take advantage of teams that will be in cap hell next year.

The only guy I’d really like to see us look into at this stage is Golladay. Odds are DET won’t be in a playoff race. So they might be tempted to get something for him. He’s been injured so he hasn’t been showing he’s this great WRs for them recently. So they might take less in a trade. Doubt it happens. Just a guy to think ahout

3 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Honestly rather just let this roster run its course, let the next HC build it the way he wants

This is what we should do. There’s no move we can make that will turn this into a winning season. The only exception would be to maybe get a WR to help Darnold progress, but under Gase who knows if that will even make a difference. And if the Jets even cared about that they wouldn’t be fielding this roster of WRs anyway.

we are Sanchezing the hell out of the kid unfortunately 

I doubt we make any significant additions but definitely worth exploring.  It would have to be a bad team with a bad cap situation.  No, ATL, and GB all seem like buyers more so then sellers.

My guess is we look to move Bell, Anderson, maybe Crowder, and maybe Mosley (but I doubt that is possible).

Anyone not with a long term tie to this front office is fair game to move.  Obviously a guy like Crowder would be a good idea to keep to help Sam but if we are going into week 8 with zero wins and someone offers a 4th why not.  Pretty easy to find a slot replacement in the mid rounds.

Bigger question is who on this roster is long term?

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I doubt we make any significant additions but definitely worth exploring.  It would have to be a bad team with a bad cap situation.  No, ATL, and GB all seem like buyers more so then sellers.

My guess is we look to move Bell, Anderson, maybe Crowder, and maybe Mosley (but I doubt that is possible).

Anyone not with a long term tie to this front office is fair game to move.  Obviously a guy like Crowder would be a good idea to keep to help Sam but if we are going into week 8 with zero wins and someone offers a 4th why not.  Pretty easy to find a slot replacement in the mid rounds.

Bigger question is who on this roster is long term?

Pretty bad when the best player on your team through 2 games is your rookie LT.

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

This is what we should do. There’s no move we can make that will turn this into a winning season. The only exception would be to maybe get a WR to help Darnold progress, but under Gase who knows if that will even make a difference. And if the Jets even cared about that they wouldn’t be fielding this roster of WRs anyway.

we are Sanchezing the hell out of the kid unfortunately 

My thoughts were more on targeting good, young players like 25 yr. old Lattimore at a position of need (CB).  One less thing to concern ourselves with in round one or two next year.  The idea is to go after teams that are not playoff or SB bound to try and get a bargain deal for a good player.  I would rather do that than wait for cuts and get into a bidding war with other teams that will also be in a good cap position next year.  Just so I am clear, I would NOT trade a first or second in 2021 for anyone.  Almost anyone.

Edited by xrade