The Raider Appreciation Thread 📈

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think Perryman was better against the run.  He was a true run stopper.  Spillane always get to the RB after they've gained 3+ yards.

Whilst I agree Perryman was better in that regard, I wouldn’t be too harsh on Spillane, our DTs are getting beaten up inside so the LBs are on the back foot pretty much every run.

If you watch the second Bears TD run he actually takes on the centre I think at the PoA but the DTs are washed 5 yards to the right and the RB waltzes into the end zone through the huge hole. He did a better job than the DTs that play of holding up.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 11:42 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Get the man some help damn it!

Imagine if they invested some resources into the DL, oh wait they did, they were just both terrible moves with Chandler and Tyree.

Imagine a base defensive line of: 

Crosby - Carter - Billings - Yannick 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Imagine if they invested some resources into the DL, oh wait they did, they were just both terrible moves with Chandler and Tyree.

Imagine a base defensive line of: 

Crosby - Carter - Billings - Yannick 

Tyree was a terrible pick? He's already terrible, 7 games into his career?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tyree was a terrible pick? He's already terrible, 7 games into his career?

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bad takes on bad takes

Tyree over Carter is and always will be a terrible pick unless he becomes a perennial first team All-Pro, which Carter already is as a rookie. It's just like when we took Ruggs over Lamb, one was clearly the better football player and it showed immediately. I'll leave this forum forever if at any point during their careers anyone views Tyree as a better player than Carter. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Tyree over Carter is and always will be a terrible pick unless he becomes a perennial first team All-Pro, which Carter already is as a rookie. It's just like when we took Ruggs over Lamb, one was clearly the better football player and it showed immediately. I'll leave this forum forever if at any point during their careers anyone views Tyree as a better player than Carter. 

Whilst I think Carter was possibly the most talented player in the draft, If we’d have drafted him, there’s certainly no guarantee, and I think it’s very likely, he’s not playing at nearly the same level. Now, I did like Carter as a player and mocked him to us early in the draft process but he’s in a near ideal position rotating in with an awesome DLine in Philadelphia and of course, he simply wouldn’t have that luxury with us. 

This FO have made many horrible decisions but I won’t fault them for not taking Carter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Whilst I think Carter was possibly the most talented player in the draft, If we’d have drafted him, there’s certainly no guarantee, and I think it’s very likely, he’s not playing at nearly the same level. Now, I did like Carter as a player and mocked him to us early in the draft process but he’s in a near ideal position rotating in with an awesome DLine in Philadelphia and of course, he simply wouldn’t have that luxury with us. 

This FO have made many horrible decisions but I won’t fault them for not taking Carter.

Good franchises don’t pass on transcendent talents 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Seattle is a good franchise, they passed on Carter. Only reason he was picked as high as he was is because the team that picked him had a luxury pick in that spot. 

Teams with something to lose were not going to gamble on him. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Well, they do at times.

The point I think that needs to be made is that the FO are trying to sell bringing in their guys as adding leadership, influence and discipline. Then they’ve brought in guys like Chandler Jones, Epps, Spillane and Bolden and pushed how good the locker room is and how much leadership you now have so you should in theory be able to take a character like Carter. If you’re still not taking kids like Carter because he’ll be a loose cannon then maybe you don’t have the right locker room still?

I’d probably not have taken him due to the obvious parallels with Ruggs and that horrible PR angle and how insensitive that would look, but I don’t know the reasons why our FO didn’t take him, have they eluded to that at all?

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 6:44 PM, big_palooka said:

Seattle is a good franchise, they passed on Carter. Only reason he was picked as high as he was is because the team that picked him had a luxury pick in that spot. 

Seattle also took what looks to be an elite player in Witherspoon at a bigger position of need considering they spent big money on DreMont Jones in free agency. You slurped up on the new regime all off-season, they've missed on every big move they've made outside of the Adams trade. Admit you were wrong, I was right, and cope harder. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 6:29 AM, Darbsk said:

Well, they do at times.

The point I think that needs to be made is that the FO are trying to sell bringing in their guys as adding leadership, influence and discipline. Then they’ve brought in guys like Chandler Jones, Epps, Spillane and Bolden and pushed how good the locker room is and how much leadership you now have so you should in theory be able to take a character like Carter. If you’re still not taking kids like Carter because he’ll be a loose cannon then maybe you don’t have the right locker room still?

I’d probably not have taken him due to the obvious parallels with Ruggs and that horrible PR angle and how insensitive that would look, but I don’t know the reasons why our FO didn’t take him, have they eluded to that at all?

This is one of the least talented teams in the league and we passed on the best player in the draft. You can justify it but that's why we are and will continue to be mediocre. Cope harder. 

On 10/26/2023 at 4:44 PM, big_palooka said:

they already had talent at DT LOL. we don't 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

This is one of the least talented teams in the league and we passed on the best player in the draft. You can justify it but that's why we are and will continue to be mediocre. Cope harder. 

Cope harder? No idea what that means sorry. You’ll have to enlighten me.

I don’t think we’re particularly one of the least talented teams, in fact I think on offence we’re talented, probably top 1/3 of the league;

All Pro WR1, one of the best #2 WRs in the league, Pro Bowl slot receiver (that we don’t use), deep threat in Tucker, All Pro RB, Pro bowl calibre LT, Super talented rookie TE and a solid vet TE2. OLine is pretty average I will admit (though I don’t think I’d bad) but we’re blessed with one of the best QBs of all time too 👍🏼. I’d say that’s very talented.

Defence, certainly lacking a little. But we have an elite DE, decent MLB and SS and Moehrig at FS is looking Pro Bowl calibre. Hobbs is a good slot CB. I’d say the defence has bottom 1/3 talent but overall we’re middle of the pack in terms of talent.

Now, yes we did pass on probably the best player in the draft. I think the issue might be that there were other very, very good defensive players available but we took a project. Let’s see what he looks like 18 months in, he’s starting to show flashes and he hasn’t got the support that Carter has. Personally, I don’t regret not taking Carter though if you know me at all, I always advocate taking a DT in round one 😁 so when the best player falls to us, he happens to be a DT and we can’t or don’t take him it is a bit gutting!!! Such is life………

• Like 3