2020 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

The Jets were scheduled to visit the Raiders in Oakland in 2008, Brett Favre's first game there since a memorable MNF performance in 2003.

It should have been played Monday night, November 17, which marked the 40th anniversary of the Heidi Game.

To this day, the thought of watching Heidi makes me wretch.  That and too much Bourbon.  

I can't believe Kyle Sloter is not with NFL team right now.   Jets should sign him and waive Flacco.  Jets are at the point where no experienced qb is required.  Darnold crashes and burns. Jets are nowhere in playoff race.  He is a wasted spot.

Same for Frank Gore's spot.  There are a several young RB sweeping sidewalks.

Edited by JetsandI

We need to change our Defense to get with the times.  And it sucks because what I think would work, Jamal would work out perfectly.  But the Bills are doing it right.

Standard 4 down linemen-----2 rangy LBs-----5 DBs

I don't think 3 down linemen/3-4 sets are going to work anymore.  You have 2 rangy LBs that can cover RBs and TEs.  4 linemen to generate pressure.  Then 3 CB/2 S as base then you can have 2 CB/3 S on run downs.  Throw in some 3-3,4-3,3-4 fronts to confuse them with blitzes but run a 4-2 base.  IDK just a thought.

10 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

We need to change our Defense to get with the times.  And it sucks because what I think would work, Jamal would work out perfectly.  But the Bills are doing it right.

I don't think 3 down linemen/3-4 sets are going to work anymore.  You have 2 rangy LBs that can cover RBs and TEs.  4 linemen to generate pressure.  Then 3 CB/2 S as base then you can have 2 CB/3 S on run downs.  Throw in some 3-3,4-3,3-4 fronts to confuse them with blitzes but run a 4-2 base.  IDK just a thought.

More talents is only a way.  

10 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

For that to work you need starting caliber CB's.  We do not have any, yet.  Hence my reasoning that CB is just a big a need as WR and iOL, but QB needs to be addressed first and foremost.  The Bills starting 5 DB are head and shoulder above ours.  Trying to play a Bills style D with the Jets personnel would be even more of a dumpster fire than it already is.

51 minutes ago, xrade said:

For that to work you need starting caliber CB's.  We do not have any, yet.  Hence my reasoning that CB is just a big a need as WR and iOL, but QB needs to be addressed first and foremost.  The Bills starting 5 DB are head and shoulder above ours.  Trying to play a Bills style D with the Jets personnel would be even more of a dumpster fire than it already is.

Well yes definitely need the personnel to run it, but I'm saying we should target guys so that can eventually work.  We've been running a 3-4 (which I used to love) for what 15 years now? And have never had an edge rusher.  We need to change something.

59 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Well yes definitely need the personnel to run it, but I'm saying we should target guys so that can eventually work.  We've been running a 3-4 (which I used to love) for what 15 years now? And have never had an edge rusher.  We need to change something.

Actually, the CB's have little impact on whether a base 3-4 or 4-3 is run and since we need at least 2 perimeter CB's (maybe we already have one), a press/man CB is a big must.  I am a bigger fan of a base 4-3.  You have two DT's playing the B gap or A/B, 2 DE's playing the C/B gap, 2 OLB playing the D gap (base), and the MLB.  I think finding personnel is a little easier with that base D.  In a 3-4, you need that big NT and an EDGE.  As we know, that EDGE is hard to find.

Our current players are better suited to a base 4-3.  In fact, from a personnel perspective, we do not really need anything.  Now before everyone begins to laugh, I mean we have the players just not very good ones.  Getting an EDGE would not really be needed as long as we are able to get decent DE's and OLB's.  Q, Shep, and Fats at DT (not too bad).  JFM, Huff, Bash, Phillips at DE (meh to OK).  Jenks, Cashman, Hewitt, and Langi at OLB (pure meh).  Mosely and Williamson at MLB (good).  With that lineup we could go into the 2021 draft without NEEDING to find that Day 1 or 2 EDGE.  We certainly need to upgrade, but it would not be as big a necessity as it is now, IMO.  The pass rush would come from the front 4 up the middle with a blitzing LB off the edge or up the middle.  In fact, I think a player like Clowney would be great at DE, just not for $18M per year.

Im also a bigger fan of switching to a 4 man front, feel as though it’s a bit easier finding personnel, especially up front. JFM could be used as a big end in base and slide inside for Foley on passing downs. Still need to address Edge and CB though so it could just be a moot point

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Im also a bigger fan of switching to a 4 man front, feel as though it’s a bit easier finding personnel, especially up front. JFM could be used as a big end in base and slide inside for Foley on passing downs. Still need to address Edge and CB though so it could just be a moot point

I guess my definition of EDGE is different in a 4-3 vs a 3-4.  My definition of EDGE is a and larger OLB/DE lined up in the D gap or Wide 9 with the sole purpose of getting to the ball behind the LOS.  Usually used in a 3-4 alignment.  In a 4-3, the standup OLB would be used in a similar fashion but also have coverage and outside containment duties.  To me an EDGE in a 3-4 has only one job - make the opposing team alter their game plan because he is there and has the resume to back that up.  In a 4-3, getting pressure behind the LOS is more team oriented.  In other words, a 4-3 base D may have many team sacks or TFL but it would be spread out over the front 7 as opposed to one or two guys getting double digit sacks/TFL.

For comparison purposes, a great 4-3 OLB would be Von Miller, Bud Dupree etc.  A great 4-3 DE would be JJ, Cam Jordan etc. In a 3-4 a great EDGE would be Chandler Jones, Danielle Hunter, Fowler, etc.

This is all just my opinion, of course and I do not even know what base defenses those mentioned play in.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If GW is out as DC then Wade Phillips should fit there nicely.

Q-Foley-JFM

Zuniga -Cashman-Langei-Huff

Boom!

I think a 4 man front with Zuniga, Q, Foley, JFM, Huff, Jenkins and a pass rusher could work.  Zuniga, Huff, Jenkins all versatile enough to stand up on different fronts. Cashman and Mosely(but I want to cut him) at LB.  

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I guess my definition of EDGE is different in a 4-3 vs a 3-4.  My definition of EDGE is a and larger OLB/DE lined up in the D gap or Wide 9 with the sole purpose of getting to the ball behind the LOS.  Usually used in a 3-4 alignment.  In a 4-3, the standup OLB would be used in a similar fashion but also have coverage and outside containment duties.  To me an EDGE in a 3-4 has only one job - make the opposing team alter their game plan because he is there and has the resume to back that up.  In a 4-3, getting pressure behind the LOS is more team oriented.  In other words, a 4-3 base D may have many team sacks or TFL but it would be spread out over the front 7 as opposed to one or two guys getting double digit sacks/TFL.

For comparison purposes, a great 4-3 OLB would be Von Miller, Bud Dupree etc.  A great 4-3 DE would be JJ, Cam Jordan etc. In a 3-4 a great EDGE would be Chandler Jones, Danielle Hunter, Fowler, etc.

This is all just my opinion, of course and I do not even know what base defenses those mentioned play in.

Edge by definition is just really an edge alignment pass rusher your OLB in a 3-4 and your DE in a 4-3. Von actually started in a 4-3 in Denver playing a hybrid SLB/DE role for them Dupree is an edge in Pittsburgh all of the players you named were considered Edge rushers just in different schemes, JJ being the exception but he lines up everywhere 

Just now, Dr.O said:

Edge by definition is just really an edge alignment pass rusher your OLB in a 3-4 and your DE in a 4-3. Von actually started in a 4-3 in Denver playing a hybrid SLB/DE role for them Dupree is an edge in Pittsburgh all of the players you named were considered Edge rushers just in different schemes, JJ being the exception but he lines up everywhere 

I  guess that is what I was trying to say, but you said it much better.  The other point I was trying to make is that I would want an EDGE that has more responsibility than just rushing the passer.  I would rather we had a few 7-10 sack guys than one 14 sack guy.  I guess the other, other point I was trying to make, is that a 3-4 EDGE tends to be little bigger than an OLB.  Take a guy like Quincy Roche in Miami (Fla.) or Hamilcar Rashed (Oregon St.)  Those players are good at getting to the QB, but at 235 pounds, they may not hold up as a 3-4 EDGE.  Could they be used as a 4-3 OLB?  Not sure since I have not really paid attention.

Whatever, as long as we get someone who OC's have to account for.