TABT: Around the NFL

JAF-N72EX

On 1/24/2021 at 8:02 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Watching the Packers squander another year of Rodgers is a beautiful thing to see. 

The Packers have had two consecutive HOF QBs in the last 27 years and only have 2 rings to show for it. 

I'll say it again, defense + special teams wins championships! 

^^ This is still a proven fact!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

It’s so sad that our team sucks so much that I have to depend on other teams to beat up our bullies 

Yeah it does suck that us watching the Packers lose every year is the highlight of the playoffs. But I take solace in knowing that the reason they never win a title with 2 HOF QBs is because of their inept ability to build a solid defense and special teams around said HOF Qbs.

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ll believe he’s not in GB once he’s officially gone. They’re gonna lose a lot off that roster though if they keep he and Adams. 

Assuming that GB intends to franchise tag Adams, they’ll need to trim about $60M off their cap in the next 7 weeks just to get cap compliant, and even that won’t allow any room for signing any FA or even signing their draft class. Cutting Za’Darius and Preston Smith nets them about $28M, and a mega extension for Rodgers probably saves them $20-25M against the 2022 cap. A few restructures from there gets them compliant but only barely. If they can get a long term deal for Adams then there’s more savings there, but he wants to be the highest paid WR in the league and they don’t seem to want to do that so the tag seems to be most likely. All of that gets them only to compliant. Quite the mess. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming that GB intends to franchise tag Adams, they’ll need to trim about $60M off their cap in the next 7 weeks just to get cap compliant, and even that won’t allow any room for signing any FA or even signing their draft class. Cutting Za’Darius and Preston Smith nets them about $28M, and a mega extension for Rodgers probably saves them $20-25M against the 2022 cap. A few restructures from there gets them compliant but only barely. If they can get a long term deal for Adams then there’s more savings there, but he wants to be the highest paid WR in the league and they don’t seem to want to do that so the tag seems to be most likely. All of that gets them only to compliant. Quite the mess. 

At this point we need to just start the rebuild and get it over with. I want to see Rodgers get another ring before he retires and at this point I'm confident it wont be in GB. Gute and Lafleur have proven they have no idea what it takes to put a team over the top. 2020 and 2021 were the best opportunities we had at a ring and they squandered it completely by standing pat and refusing to take any risks. I can already see their firing on the horizon 2 years after Rodgers leaves. Packers fans love out front office for now, I highly doubt they'll feel the same after 2 straight losing seasons. Its just something we arent used too.

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah it does suck that us watching the Packers lose every year is the highlight of the playoffs. But I take solace in knowing that the reason they never win a title with 2 HOF QBs is because of their inept ability to build a solid defense and special teams around said HOF Qbs.

Eh their defense was stout yesterday. Unfortunately so was the 9ers’

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

In order to keep both, or even one really, they’d have to gut their defense which was finally okay this year after being abysmal for so long. Meaning I’d they retained them, they wouldn’t have the players to put them at a contender level. So the Packers here are effectively neutered. I think Lafleur is a good coach but he’s effectively sunk here if Love sucks as bad as he appears to. 

Aaron Rodgers was given the same gift Tom Brady was given in New England: a cakewalk division full of crap quarterbacks for two decades.

Brady rode that gift to 9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 wins.

Rodgers has been to one Super Bowl and is 7-9 in the postseason since that title.

He's not wrong.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

In order to keep both, or even one really, they’d have to gut their defense which was finally okay this year after being abysmal for so long. Meaning I’d they retained them, they wouldn’t have the players to put them at a contender level. So the Packers here are effectively neutered. I think Lafleur is a good coach but he’s effectively sunk here if Love sucks as bad as he appears to. 

Agreed. If they move on from Rodgers I can’t see Adams wanting to stay, and if they keep Rodgers I don’t see how they can keep Adams without gutting basically everything else. If they’re keeping Rodgers they almost need to tag/trade Adams and go heavy WR in the draft early and hope they hit IMO.

35 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:
Aaron Rodgers was given the same gift Tom Brady was given in New England: a cakewalk division full of crap quarterbacks for two decades.

Brady rode that gift to 9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 wins.

Rodgers has been to one Super Bowl and is 7-9 in the postseason since that title.

He's not wrong.

Bring in Aaron Rodgers. Go 13-4 in the regular season. Start Nick Foles in the playoffs. Profit. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. If they move on from Rodgers I can’t see Adams wanting to stay, and if they keep Rodgers I don’t see how they can keep Adams without gutting basically everything else. If they’re keeping Rodgers they almost need to tag/trade Adams and go heavy WR in the draft early and hope they hit IMO.

Eh I think it’s over for them. I think it’s over for Rodgers there. He proved naysayers wrong with his performance this year outside of the playoffs but the writing is on the wall for him. Maybe he can put in two phenomenal years playing for his former favorite team the 9ers. That would be a scary roster 

5 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Eh I think it’s over for them. I think it’s over for Rodgers there. He proved naysayers wrong with his performance this year outside of the playoffs but the writing is on the wall for him. Maybe he can put in two phenomenal years playing for his former favorite team the 9ers. That would be a scary roster 

I think Rodgers would love that, but a) they don’t have nearly the capital to trade for him having already traded away their 2022 and 2023 1st rounders in the deal to get Trey Lance; and b) even if they did I don’t think GB would trade him to an NFC team. If they do move him I think the smart money is on Denver or Pittsburgh. Both are ready made rosters to contend with a QB. If you’re either of those two teams I think you could completely justify giving away the farm in draft capital to get him. 

Aaron Rodgers, asked about the Packers' salary cap challenges and possibility of tough roster decisions, rattles a few of them off and says, "There's a lot of decisions to be made, and I don't want to be part of a rebuild if I'm going to keep playing."

With their cap issues he can't stay in GB if he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding team.