NFL General Discussion

candyman93

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'd start with not going 5 wide and exposing those tackles. Pass out of run formations. Even when we were down RBs the replacement RBs did well.

I know we couldn't just run all game but when you don't have receivers who can win 1 v 1 or tackles who can pass protect you put yourself in a bad situation especially with a QB who is hobbled and can't move well. The shoulder thing you had to just play through but the foot injury hurt mobility and poor pass pro from the outside made for some ugly plays and some gray skies before the ball was even snapped.

I'd agree we went 5 wide too often, but that was partly because defenses were basically daring us to pass with their defensive formations. They were going all out to stop the run. And that's partly because Baker was injured and struggling, and they knew our receivers would struggle to win 1v1 matchups.

So again, Stefanski didn't have much to work with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I'd agree we went 5 wide too often, but that was partly because defenses were basically daring us to pass with their defensive formations. They were going all out to stop the run. And that's partly because Baker was injured and struggling, and they knew our receivers would struggle to win 1v1 matchups.

We basically let the opposing team's defense dictate our offense instead of playing to our strengths.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, DawgX said:

Yeah but there are other things you can do to counter that. Like throwing slip screens to WRs. If you have that many guys in the box, the match ups are there for the WR. Stefanski refused to run those type of plays.  You can always fight fire with fire and bring in more blockers and force bad rush defenses to defend another gap. We saw Steelers and GB struggled at defending 6 running gaps and being disciplined, what happens to those defenses when you add 2 or 3 more gaps. Force them to bring another guy in the box and potentially cause some big homerun plays cause now they have less 3rd level defenders

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, DawgX said:

We did this all the time though.  Idgaf if they’re trying to stop the run, make them actually stop it before you adjust.  I don’t care if they don’t pass the ball for a whole drive/quarter/half/game/whatever.  Play your game until they force you to change.

I look at that Packers game and while Baker played like dog ish, why tf was he even throwing the ball?

We had 219 yards rushing on 25 carries.  Why tf did we throw it 36 times?  We should have had 45 rushing attempts that game.

Stefanski got way too cute too often this season.  Run the ball, use PA and move the pocket until you can’t any longer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We did this all the time though.  Idgaf if they’re trying to stop the run, make them actually stop it before you adjust.  I don’t care if they don’t pass the ball for a whole drive/quarter/half/game/whatever.  Play your game until they force you to change.

I look at that Packers game and while Baker played like dog ish, why tf was he even throwing the ball?

We had 219 yards rushing on 25 carries.  Why tf did we throw it 36 times?  We should have had 45 rushing attempts that game.

Stefanski got way too cute too often this season.  Run the ball, use PA and move the pocket until you can’t any longer.

This, IMO, is what separates the good coaches/players from the great ones, which is understanding EARLY in games when you need to discard a gameplan. In 2020, we didn't really need to do that very often because they worked to perfection.

This year, that wasn't the case. Somewhere in the first half is when they should have thrown that out the window instead of realizing it towards the end of Quarter 3 and then getting stuck. I mean, we even should have just kept running it in the 2 minute drill and settled for a FG attempt for the win instead of going "Air Baker" 4 times in a row.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This, IMO, is what separates the good coaches/players from the great ones, which is understanding EARLY in games when you need to discard a gameplan. In 2020, we didn't really need to do that very often because they worked to perfection.

This year, that wasn't the case. Somewhere in the first half is when they should have thrown that out the window instead of realizing it towards the end of Quarter 3 and then getting stuck. I mean, we even should have just kept running it in the 2 minute drill and settled for a FG attempt for the win instead of going "Air Baker" 4 times in a row.

I agree, but for me the game plan should be as follows

1. run the damned ball

2. see #1

3. Run PA and hope they think it’s a run

Do that until it stops working.  If you do that we win more than 7 games or whatever it was this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Pittsburgh is our opposite in so many ways: in addition to being a division arch-rival, they are constantly making smart decisions at the ownership & front office level. What a nightmare.

I would agree with this BEFORE we actually our last string of GM's......Sashi Brown, has some of the smartest moves to tear down and reset a roster and salary cap in 2 years....he was just not that great at picking players, but not a ton of Dysfunction there IMO....making moves like getting a 4th for a Punter, and trading salary cap space for a 2nd that became Nick Chubb, and "Forgetting" to send the paperwork in so Bengals could FLEECE us outta 2 2nd picks for AJ McCarron).......coaches were a little dysfunctional....but not front office

Dorsey was pretty good at picking players.....just not good at taking chances on too many Players and unproven Coaches......he also didn't give a damn about the salary cap..but that's not dysfunction......look at the Saints GM, and the Rams GM....they don't care too much about Salary Cap either....

But since A.B. and Paully D have been pulling the trigger, I like almost ALL the moves they have made LOL.......our front office has functioned SO WELL, that the Vikings just hired one of our assistants as their GM.......

So the day's of the Steelers or ANY franchise for that matter, making moves so much better and so much smarter than the Browns......those days are over my Friend...now we gotta win on the field Consistently....

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I would agree with this BEFORE we actually our last string of GM's......Sashi Brown, has some of the smartest moves to tear down and reset a roster and salary cap in 2 years....he was just not that great at picking players, but not a ton of Dysfunction there IMO....making moves like getting a 4th for a Punter, and trading salary cap space for a 2nd that became Nick Chubb, and "Forgetting" to send the paperwork in so Bengals could FLEECE us outta 2 2nd picks for AJ McCarron).......coaches were a little dysfunctional....but not front office

Dorsey was pretty good at picking players.....just not good at taking chances on too many Players and unproven Coaches......he also didn't give a damn about the salary cap..but that's not dysfunction......look at the Saints GM, and the Rams GM....they don't care too much about Salary Cap either....

But since A.B. and Paully D have been pulling the trigger, I like almost ALL the moves they have made LOL.......our front office has functioned SO WELL, that the Vikings just hired one of our assistants as their GM.......

So the day's of the Steelers or ANY franchise for that matter, making moves so much better and so much smarter than the Browns......those days are over my Friend...now we gotta win on the field Consistently....

I'm not only talking the GM/HC level, but the ownership level as well. For instance, I have a feeling that if the Rooneys installed an egghead GM like Sashi to tear it down to the studs, they'd have paired him with better personnel department. AB was ostensibly in charge of that, but he was still young and green and who knows where the reporting lines ran.

I agree with the optimism that we may have a good foundation there now (though AB's personnel moves like signing making Hooper top paid tight end and inability to build adequate special teams aren't exactly world class, and a lot of his mid-late round draft picks are question marks, so we'll see), but it's still a maybe, and I guarantee it wouldn't have taken a good owner nearly this long to get to this point (which I'll call competent and promising rather than the arrow definitively up).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I'm not only talking the GM/HC level, but the ownership level as well. For instance, I have a feeling that if the Rooneys installed an egghead GM like Sashi to tear it down to the studs, they'd have paired him with better personnel department. AB was ostensibly in charge of that, but he was still young and green and who knows where the reporting lines ran.

I agree with the optimism that we may have a good foundation there now (though AB's personnel moves like signing making Hooper top paid tight end and inability to build adequate special teams aren't exactly world class, and a lot of his mid-late round draft picks are question marks, so we'll see), but it's still a maybe, and I guarantee it wouldn't have taken a good owner nearly this long to get to this point (which I'll call competent and promising rather than the arrow definitively up).

I agree with your first statement 100% without question....the rooneys probably would have given Sahi, John Dorsey to help him draft players.

I respect your point of view....on those moves I, I wouldnt put on Par with like Signing Dewayne Bowe type of stuff, and I forget that RT that we decided to start for 16 games one year...I forget his name....possibly blocked it out....I literally said play with 2 G's on that side....But the deal for Hooper was not terrible...he was the top player at the position coming off 2 probowl years, and Berry knew his HC's preferred offense is built around TE's, did the move work out? Not yet..,...but at least there is a LOGIC to it....IMO building special teams is on the Coach....every team is going to have their last 11 vs Starters on the roster on Special teams, ST Coordinator has to fashion a cohesive unit that can be a credit to the team here......our luck has just SUCKED with Kickers....and last point, I would partially agree with you....AB has had 2 draft 20 and 21...IMO he's gotten First Round Talents in the 1rst and 2nd round of Both Drafts IMO, Wills and Delpit were both 1rst rounders IMO and Newsome was a 1rst rounder and JOK (All Rookie Team) was a top 15 pick IMO.....mid rounds have not been kind.....but later rounds Harrison Bryant, Nick Harris and DPJ was day 3 of 2020, and Fields, LeCount and Felton (all Rookie team KR/PR) were day 3 of 2021...if LeCount turns into a player, I think that's 2 pretty good day 3's.

• Like 3