NFL General Discussion

candyman93

This strategy where we think trading three seasons of high draft capital for Deshaun Watson is going to continue to show its warts. Already talented Eagles team for instance adds Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith. Even hanging on to our second round pick would have given us some options with addressing some defensive needs, as there are still some good players out there. Yes, I know we still have like six or seven total draft picks, but there is such a dramatic drop off on impact talent. The Bengals got better with Myles Murphy to add as a pass rusher. Maybe we will be lucky and have up and down CB Keelee Ringo fall to us and we will make a move on him. Lots of good players went last night and will go early this evening. I don’t see this team building a championship roster the way we are doing it, is the short of it.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

This strategy where we think trading three seasons of high draft capital for Deshaun Watson is going to continue to show its warts. Already talented Eagles team for instance adds Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith. Even hanging on to our second round pick would have given us some options with addressing some defensive needs, as there are still some good players out there. Yes, I know we still have like six or seven total draft picks, but there is such a dramatic drop off on impact talent. The Bengals got better with Myles Murphy to add as a pass rusher. Maybe we will be lucky and have up and down CB Keelee Ringo fall to us and we will make a move on him. Lots of good players went last night and will go early this evening. I don’t see this team building a championship roster the way we are doing it, is the short of it.

I don’t think any team can stand to mortgage their whole future for 1 player. Not only did Watson kill our drafts, he killed our cap space.

I get why we did what we did, but this was a bad trade, even if Watson played well. In my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don’t think any team can stand to mortgage their whole future for 1 player. Not only did Watson kill our drafts, he killed our cap space.

I get why we did what we did, but this was a bad trade, even if Watson played well. In my opinion. 

Yeah, I think that kind of goes along with my point that while we lack draft capital, we also don’t have a luxury of salary cap able to add a bunch of studded free agents to fill the void. Three drafts losing that kind of assets really leaves a void in what you are able to do. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It all depends on what Watson does imo.

If he’s the same player he showed in Houston I think it’s worth it long term. If he’s not, it’s not.

We could have not traded for Watson and has more cap space and picks, sure, but who’s playing QB then? Other than mike and Thomas I don’t think Baker had any true believers left.  Will Levis?  Are we trading a slew of picks for an unproven guy?  

• Like 1

Big time run on EDGE and DT towards the back half of R1 last night.

Still a lot of C and TE talent out there to be had.

I do still like 2-3 of the S available as well.

There are a few CB's that would actually not suck for value picks if it lined up...and bonus points for me basking in that selection when it happens.

There are also a few RBs who we should target mid round, as Ford is a complete unknown and adding some talent to that room would be necessary IMO.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Big time run on EDGE and DT towards the back half of R1 last night.

Mazi Smith was really the only guy that wasn’t regularly mocked to go R1 who went though.  No big shockers other than that.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There are also a few RBs who we should target mid round, as Ford is a complete unknown and adding some talent to that room would be necessary IMO.

There’s also a lot of vets out there too, some big names even.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Mazi Smith was really the only guy that wasn’t regularly mocked to go R1 who went though.  No big shockers other than that.

There’s also a lot of vets out there too, some big names even.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/

This is the updated list I believe:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/running-back/available/

Looks pretty bleak to me

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, I think that kind of goes along with my point that while we lack draft capital, we also don’t have a luxury of salary cap able to add a bunch of studded free agents to fill the void. Three drafts losing that kind of assets really leaves a void in what you are able to do. 

To be fair, the Browns dont have a massive talent issue they are looking to fill so its not like we are in a rebuild and have no draft picks. They have a few small holes (as does every team) they are looking to fix with mid round picks and veteran cuts that can be had for cheap. The entire offense is completely set and the entire secondary is completely set. All they are looking for is more depth/additions to the Defensive front 7 for this upcoming year

This year is the worst of the Watson trade fallout, but we will be just fine after this season. We just....you know.....have to actually hit on a mid round pick here and there.

I know its analytic taboo, but maybe it would be smart this draft to prioritize seniors and guys who are more able to come in immediately and make more of a impact even if they dont have a massive ceiling

Edited by AkronsWitness