Make a case for any of the following teams being good this year

patriotsheatyan

Statistically, it's more likely than not that one of these 8 teams makes the playoffs. Especially with this 7th seed nonsense.

The most intriguing to me are the Giants and Bengals to bet on for that. I believe it's within the range of outcomes for their young QBs to excel with a couple excellent playmakers to lead them to 8-9 wins. The Washington football team could have a D-line that dominates. I don't believe in Haskins as franchise QB, but if the defense is good enough (and the line could be elite) then passable QB play will be enough to have a single playoff season like the 2018 Bears,

Edited by wackywabbit

7 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Redskins

Great DL pieces. Rivera is a great defensive mind. Rivera’s “situation” could inspire the team like Pagano and the Colts a few years ago. I see a team with a top 10 rushing attack and an emerging elite deep threat WR in Scary Terry. The NFCE has been known for its topsy turvy nature in years past. I see the Redskins as a better team than the Giants. If the Eagles struggle with a QB injury (not unlikely) that would give a path for the Redskins to have an easier time at it. Even without injury the 7th seed would be in play. They’re an obvious dark horse squad IMO.

7 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Dolphins

Culture seemed to be part of what has made the Dolphins struggle for such a long time. That and with better teams in the division they kept getting beat when down. Flores has shown plenty of heart and motivation in building up the culture of that team. He didn’t allow them to quit when the front office seemed to have other plans. They still got the QB that many thought they were tanking for at the beginning of the season.

They’ve got some nice DB talent to work with. They’ve got emerging offensive pieces both at WR and TE. Quality and proven RB options. I don’t expect a great offense, more likely a mediocre offense. But Gailey should be able to craft an offense that doesn’t “lose games” but just won’t be responsible for winning them. So I anticipate the defense being a major component to their potential success. If they can field a top 10-15 unit, they’ve got an shot at 8-9 wins and a 7th seed, especially considering the division. Beating the Jets and Bills isn’t an unthinkable task, nor the Patriots with a decent amount of talent opting out. They can get 4 wins from that division, which if the Jets fall as flat as I think, that’s very much within the realm of probable. I can also see competitive games against the Rams, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, and Bengals; splitting these games seems very reasonable. Throw in the tanking Jags for an easy dub and that’s a team I can see finishing anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7. On the more optimistic outlook, they’d be a good young team with plenty of promise.

8 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Bengals

They’ve got great offensive pieces. One of the top 5 offensive skill position teams in the league IMO. They also have Atkins as a defensive stud. I’m not much a believer in this team so my argument is thin. I don’t believe in the HC, the players didn’t seem to believe in him last season. They have enough talent to be a 7th seed squad for sure, if they don’t, I think it’s likely to be because of a lame duck HC. But talent has on rare occasions overcome bad coaching, perhaps this can be one of those situations. I doubt it. But it’s possible. The Bengals having a case would likely require Big Ben being done and the Browns HC also proving to be a lame duck, along with the quick emergence of Burrow. While I think the talent can overcome on a game by game basis, I don’t think it’ll be enough over an entire season, especially not a season like the one the players have in front of them with Covid-19, social justice initiatives, and what ever else 2020 decides to throw at us... I wouldn’t bet on the squad, but if Zac Taylor proves me wrong and proves he was simply too green last season and not actually bad, then they’ve certainly got the talent to compete within the division.

• Like 1

Dolphins are only a couple pieces (esp. pass rush) away from having a decent team. We already know Flores can get creative with pass rush to generate it from more creative ways. They're in the AFC E with a Pats team having a break, it's hard to play in their house of sweat......I'd go them more likely than the others I think

13 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Jaguars - um, can't be done. The best I can come up with is Gardner Minshew channels 1984-88 Marino, 99-01 Warner, and 09-16 Rodgers to carry the team to a respectable 8-8 record because Tennessee regresses, Indy is in transition, and Houston has had too much of a talent drain to stay competitive. 

Bengals - there is offensive talent here - AJ Green comes back at 100%, John Ross keeps on with his early-season success, and rookie Tee Higgins and solid possession guy Auden Tate make Cincy 4 deep for Impact Rookie QB Joe Burrow to throw to, and Joe Mixon gives a running threat. Cinci was terrible last year, but Zac Taylor is a rare coach who learns from his errors and is much better in year 2, and the Bengals go 8-8 in a tough division.  

Bears - Matt Nagy stops obsessing about the kicking game and gets back to what he does best, which is maximizing offense. And with a stud defense, the offense doesn't even have to be THAT good. Trubisky looks more like '18 Trubisky than '19 Trubisky. Everyone in the division has an argument for being good, and every team has serious question marks as well, so why NOT the Bears sneaking away with the NFC North? 

Dolphins - the cupboard isn't as bare as it was last year. Jordan Howard and Matt Breida provide a solid 1-2 punch in the run game, allowing Ryan Fitzpatrick to be his best self and finish with a 25-12 td/int ratio. Decent WR talent and Tua gets mixed in as a change-up so the offense is productive. Brian Flores is a VERY good coach (he got 5 wins from a roster that should have won like negative-2 games) and will maximize the talent on D. Miami just misses the playoffs with a surprising 9-7 record. 

Jets - n/a....nah, I'll give this a shot. Gase is 30-34 which isn't a terrible record. Whether you think he's a fraud or not probably depends on what you think of Tannehill, but during his tenure the Dolphins weren't exactly stuff with talent, so it appears he did OK. Same with the Jets last year - people early on were pointing out that the Dolphins were actively tanking yet might be better than the Jets. However, the Jets finished 7-9, ahead of their expected W/L record. As matter of fact, Gase's teams have finished ahead of their expected W/L record EVERY YEAR - if we credit that to coaching he's been good for over a win per year (I am as shocked as you are!).  Darnold was not-terrible despite missing a chunk of the season. So let's say he gets a bit better (and he had a winning record as a starter, which usually means nothing about anything but we're polishing the turd here), Le'Veon Bell looks more like Pittsburgh Le'Veon Bell and less like NY Le'Veon Bell, Gregg Williams is not a person I'd have a beer with but he is a competent DC, and in this season continuity means more than usual. So let's say NE collapses because of opt-outs and Newton is washed, and Miami does NOT live up to the scenario outlined above, there are 4 wins right there. Indy and LAC are in transtion to they take those games early in the season, we're at 6 wins. Steal one from Buff because division games get weird, 7 wins. So if they can get 2 or 3 wins out of their other games, that's a good season. If they get more than that, it's verging on a great season. 

Redskins - I don't believe there is an NFL team with this name. 

Giants - Their offense is FAST. Daniel Brown was surprisingly not-terrible in his rookie year. Joe Judge may secretly be a genius. 

Panthers - OK, there a bit talent-thin on defense. But Teddy Bridgewater showed he's at worst a competent QB, and he's got McCaffrey to take the heat off, and gets to throw to the decent-enough Curtis Samuel/DJ Moore tandem. They went straight D in the draft so if they hit on some of those guys that helps. The key here is innovative/smart coaches Matt Rhule and Joe Brady - the gap between college and the pros has never been narrower, and these 2 guys manage to steal a few by outscheming other coaches...let's say smart coaching gets them wins vs LV, Det, Den; they split with Atl and TB; beat Chi because Nagy is still obsessed with kickers, and are just better than Was; that's 7-9, not a bad season for a team that has changed over so much in a weird offseason. 

Also, before flaming me, this is "make a plausible case" not "bet the mortgage on this happening!" 

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1