College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Michael Gallup is my target #1 for a reason. He will want to go somewhere and get #1 WR targets.

I'm down for Gallup for sure. Just gotta be patient with that ACL. Godwin or Gallup would be my FA targets, but again you'll have to overpay to get them to want to play with Baker. 

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

In hindsight, Allen and Wirfs, for example, would have been much better picks in 2018 and 2020.

Which, now that I think about it, calls into question our FOs' abilities to evaluate players.

3 totally different situations. Allen would've probably sucked big time if would've had to go through the Hue Jackson fiasco. 

Wirfs is also playing RT for the GOAT who gets the ball out as efficiently as any qb in history as opposed to Wills playing LT for Baker Mayfield...

Long term Wills could still easily be as good or better than Wirfs, and he's playing a more valuable position. 

11 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Allen would've probably sucked big time if would've had to go through the Hue Jackson fiasco. 

But as the #1 overall pick he would have survived just like Mayfield did.

13 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Long term Wills could still easily be as good or better than Wirfs, and he's playing a more valuable position. 

He might end up back at RT and probably not better than Wirfs at it if his play doesn't improve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

But as the #1 overall pick he would have survived just like Mayfield did.

True

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

He might end up back at RT and probably not better than Wirfs at it if his play doesn't improve.

Fwiw, if his injury was enough to throw off his play, as was claimed, his play may be about to shoot through the roof this coming season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Wish this was a better QB class. Usually top 12 there’d at least be a few guys in play to bump elite position guys down to us. Or we’d have trade down capital.

I want WR1, Hamilton, Dean, etc. 

Nobody wants these loser QBs this season. 

I’m hopeful that pro days change this, it’s happened in the past

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hornbybrown said:

I’m hopeful that pro days change this, it’s happened in the past

I'm hoping the demand for the position in general forces some of them into the top 10. Gimme like 2 going top 10 at least.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well put me as on the record of having no interest in grabbing someone just because they looked good in shorts at a pro day. 

If you’re not a fan now, I’m not sure what changes at a pro day.

Pro days should just confirm what you see on film or give small school guys a chance to confirm their athleticism based upon the skewed level of inferior competition they faced IMO. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 3:15 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well put me as on the record of having no interest in grabbing someone just because they looked good in shorts at a pro day. 

If you’re not a fan now, I’m not sure what changes at a pro day.

I haven’t watched the QB’s so I don’t have an opinion on them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

What would you pay Devondre Campbell?

Being pessimistic, say we lose Clowney: I’d sign Barnett and Campbell. I doubt Barnett is expensive.

In the draft I’d go 3 WRs in a row.

I do not get this thinking.

I subscribe to building on strength.

We are a couple of high-ceiling/high-floor players (and maybe a better DC) away from being an elite D.

And a couple of depth pieces away from being an elite OL.

Finish building the D, fortify the OL and give Mayfield enough at WR to work with through FA and later in the draft.

We should not be building a team to learn if Mayfield should be retained.

We should be building a team that can win regardless of whether Mayfield is the long-term answer QB.