College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

16 hours ago, brownie man said:

Yeah he’s always looked like a star. I’m not sure we can take him at 13 off a injury. Second round would be lovely. 

I think he could be the Tee Higgins to whoever we’d take round 1. 

Oh yeah I have Pickens as a Day 2 guy, maybe even falling to the 3rd Round.

17 hours ago, brownie man said:

In one offseason we could foreseeably turn our biggest weakness into a strength. 

I know a lot of guys on here want Dline and I get it. But the sooner we solve the receiver position the sooner Baker can either improve with them or the sooner we know he’s not the answer. 

I mean, I’m not saying a rookie can’t come in and be good, it’s certainly happened, but if your plan is to have a pair or rookies be the lynchpin of our season and Baker’s success, that’s a terrible effing plan imo.

As far as the draft, I think DE is a more valuable position than WR and based on our guardrails so does the team.

3b8ee44d2a7456b81fdc0c246f9da215-origina

There are 5 positions listed there and each of our firsts have come from those positions (albeit a small sample size).

I just think a long term high end starter at DE opposite Myles is a much harder thing to find later in the draft and a more important piece.

If Baker can’t show some level of decency year 5 with (presumably) a starting caliber WR in FA paired with a day 2 guy (or two?) and the returning youngsters, he’s probably not the guy moving forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’m not saying a rookie can’t come in and be good, it’s certainly happened, but if your plan is to have a pair or rookies be the lynchpin of our season and Baker’s success, that’s a terrible effing plan imo.

As far as the draft, I think DE is a more valuable position than WR and based on our guardrails so does the team.

3b8ee44d2a7456b81fdc0c246f9da215-origina

There are 5 positions listed there and each of our firsts have come from those positions (albeit a small sample size).

I just think a long term high end starter at DE opposite Myles is a much harder thing to find later in the draft and a more important piece.

If Baker can’t show some level of decency year 5 with (presumably) a starting caliber WR in FA paired with a day 2 guy (or two?) and the returning youngsters, he’s probably not the guy moving forward.

Even if we retain Clowney, I think it would be smart to pick a DE in the first 3 rounds.  As much as I would like to double dip at WR, I think it would be wise to use 2 of our first 3 picks on those positions (assuming they are best player available)  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Even if we retain Clowney, I think it would be smart to pick a DE in the first 3 rounds.  As much as I would like to double dip at WR, I think it would be wise to use 2 of our first 3 picks on those positions (assuming they are best player available)  

I think there are a lot of ways we can go and FA will play a role here.

If we can add a legit #1 type dude in FA I’m fine with waiting until R2/3 on another WR.

I think both is somewhat overkill considering how many targets they’re likely to see in this offense.

Now, if we can’t sign a decent receiver in FA I think it makes it hard to pass on a receiver R1 as we really do need someone we can lean on to beat good corners and make tough catches.

• Like 1

The WR vs. DE debate at 13 will almost certainly play out in FA. We need a vet and rookie for both positions in all likelihood. If we throw big money at a WR or DE then you can conclude that 13 will be wherever the least amount of money was spent. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

👆 

1st point it is going to be really hard to to trade a veteran wide receiver this crop of wide receivers is going to have starters drafted all the way down into the 3rd round.

Defensive lineman scary good can draft a defensive line that will last you for 10 years.

Free Agency there will not be alot of free agent wr signed 1st day people that are injured are going to have to wait or sell at a deep discount. 

23 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I like wildcards with elite measurables and athleticism Day 2 personally :) 

100%. The only problem is I'm starting to feel a final destination in the 20's or early 30's for him. So we'd have to be moving up. I could see it (especially if we went DT/DE with our 1st), but I think it's a longshot.

Just now, FGK said:

100%. The only problem is I'm starting to feel a final destination in the 20's or early 30's for him. So we'd have to be moving up. I could see it (especially if we went DT/DE with our 1st), but I think it's a longshot.

I'd like to see the sliding scale on some of these dudes, because I don't see 7 guys going R1 (but who knows).

Wilson

Olave

Burks

London

Williams

...then you have guys like

Dotson

Pickens

Watson

Ross

...then you have guys like

Metchie

Moore

Pierce

Bell

Velus Jones

Fryfogle

IMO, I'd love to have one of those Tier 1 or Tier 2 guys AND a tier 3 guy, while snagging an EDGE/DT in this deep class. I think it can be done, but who knows.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, I'd love to have one of those Tier 1 or Tier 2 guys AND a tier 3 guy, while snagging an EDGE/DT in this deep class. I think it can be done, but who knows.

I’m thinking EXACTLY the same thing

The tier two this year is literally tier 1 level but maybe with a question mark. But someone out that tier 2 is going to hit. And I need someone out that tier 3. 

there’s just too much talent in this draft at the position to not go heavy at it. Take advantage. I’d love something like 

Garrett Wilson / Treylon Burks 1st round 

George Pickens/ Jahan Dotson 2nd round 

Khalil Shakir / Wan’Dale Robinson - second third rounder  

Do that and bring Jarvis back on a restructured contract. We wouldn’t even need to sign someone in FA. 

and this is absolutely doable and probably the most cost effective option. We’d just have to hit on d line with that 3rd rounder. But I think getting a guy like Perrion Winfrey in the third is possible. 

If we’re bringing back Clowney and Jarvis this could all workout. 

On 3/5/2022 at 8:24 PM, cortes02 said:

Would Jordan Davis even be in consideration for the Browns?  Is he more a 3-4 NT them a 4-3 DT?

Peace!!!

He should be, the problem is, he probably just shot up too high for us to consider at 13, If he stayed where he was I would have loved to take him at 45. He definitely can be a even front 1 tech, with this size and explosiveness would be a problem inside, the first thought is in the mold of Cam Heyward but in an even front 

4 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

The WR vs. DE debate at 13 will almost certainly play out in FA. We need a vet and rookie for both positions in all likelihood. If we throw big money at a WR or DE then you can conclude that 13 will be wherever the least amount of money was spent. 

It all depends on how they grade these guys, the hope is for a lot of those OTs, LBs, QBs and DBs flood the top 10 so that be can have as many blue chip guys at WR and DE to choose from. I have a feeling if they are faced with Travon Walker vs Drake London/Treylon Burks, they would go Walker 

• Like 3

Y'all have jumped the shark IMO. Jordan Davis ALL DAY (and all night if we're talking Jordan Davis's cousin and @DaWg_LB.) over Trayvon Walker, even before the combine but holy moly after.

Say it with me: Jordan Davis can play all three downs.

He has the conditioning and you can just see it by looking at him.

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Y'all have jumped the shark IMO. Jordan Davis ALL DAY (and all night if we're talking Jordan Davis's cousin and @DaWg_LB.) over Trayvon Walker, even before the combine but holy moly after.

Say it with me: Jordan Davis can play all three downs.

He has the conditioning and you can just see it by looking at him.

The ghosts of Danny Shelton and Phil Taylor prevent me from ever getting excited about a NT prospect who is athletic

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

The ghosts of Danny Shelton and Phil Taylor prevent me from ever getting excited about a NT prospect who is athletic

David is different. He’s got the tape and the athleticism. 

Shelton was know for not being athletic 

Davis is known for being athletic

but I get the concern. I want him on the Browns too. I think we just have to go receiver.