College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 minute ago, QBIso said:

The 3rd? That’s way too high for him. He’d be a nice late round pickup. 

I can see him going late 3rd, which is where we are, but maybe I’m wrong. He reminds me of Schobert with his versatility. He will cover well at the next level for a LB. I guess I haven’t looked at mock projections on him so maybe 3rd is high. I think he’s the type that could surprise some people though and be better in the NFL then college. 

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I can see him going late 3rd, which is where we are, but maybe I’m wrong. He reminds me of Schobert with his versatility. He will cover well at the next level for a LB. I guess I haven’t looked at mock projections on him so maybe 3rd is high. I think he’s the type that could surprise some people though and be better in the NFL then college. 

He’s like a late 5th/6th. I think that’d be good value for him, but his testing numbers are gonna drive his value down. 

10 hours ago, NateDawg said:

10 hours ago, QBIso said:

He’s like a late 5th/6th. I think that’d be good value for him, but his testing numbers are gonna drive his value down. 

It'll come down to testing for him. He's 6'3 and 240-245, so his frame is ideal. He's also got experience playing both ILB and a hybrid slot/overhang, so he does provide a lot of versatility.

If he tests well, he's absolutely a D2 pick. If not, he'll fall to D3 sometime. He's a super smart player as well (ironically his brother goes to Harvard).

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What are his testing numbers?

White. So in other words, slow.

And the dude looks stiff out there. He's great in zone coverage ironically, which is something a lot of stiff guys are terrible at. But Werner knows how to cover ground. He's an ideal SLB because of his size and instincts in coverage, but I think teams will be scared away by his combine. I bet he runs in the 4.8 range and will have a pretty bleh 3-cone.

Edited by QBIso

2 minutes ago, QBIso said:

White. So slow.

And the dude looks stiff out there. He's great in zone coverage ironically, which is something a lot of stiff guys are terrible at. But Werner knows how to cover ground. He's an ideal SLB because of his size and instincts in coverage, but I think teams will be scared away by his combine. I bet he runs in the 4.8 range and will have a pretty bleh 3-cone.

So your view of where he will get picked is based on a number you’re making up?

ok I guess. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but using an unknown as your rationale for something seems less than ideal.

5 minutes ago, QBIso said:

White. So in other words, slow.

He's a lot of things, but stiff isn't one of them. Slow, perhaps, but he's pretty fluid. Laterally, he's as good as anyone on their roster, and he's a great coverage guy and solid at setting the edge.

As for the 3 cone, it's important, but it's not everything. Ask DK Metcalf.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He's a lot of things, but stiff isn't one of them. Slow, perhaps, but he's pretty fluid. Laterally, he's as good as anyone on their roster, and he's a great coverage guy and solid at setting the edge.

As for the 3 cone, it's important, but it's not everything. Ask DK Metcalf.

Outside linebacker and WR are completely different positions. You can play WR without lateral quickness when you’re 6’3 and run a 4.3. You can’t play LBer without having short area quicks and lateral mobility. 

@LETSGOBROWNIES, I’m willing to bet a lot that Werner tests poorly. You can just tell from watching these guys what their numbers are likely gonna be come combine time. Werner is not a good athlete. He’s a great player, but lacks burst and speed. 

1 hour ago, QBIso said:

Outside linebacker and WR are completely different positions. You can play WR without lateral quickness when you’re 6’3 and run a 4.3. You can’t play LBer without having short area quicks and lateral mobility. 

@LETSGOBROWNIES, I’m willing to bet a lot that Werner tests poorly. You can just tell from watching these guys what their numbers are likely gonna be come combine time. Werner is not a good athlete. He’s a great player, but lacks burst and speed. 

My entire point was that I think Werner has better lateral agility and movement then he does straight line speed. His footwork is good and his coverage ability is great.