College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

17 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d also be down for trading for future picks as well.

@NateDawg you're probably surprised to hear this.

(For the record, I agree...I know...big surprise there too)

17 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Almost universally I’d rather have a pick a round higher next year than this year.

It's just good business no matter what your line of work is. Delayed gratification and maximizing your value/profit is the way to go, unless you're a team like the Packers with Aaron Rodgers who could use a very specific player/position to get them over that hump and vault them into Super Bowl contender status.

We have holes at 2 of the 3 LB spots even if we re-sign Goodson (who is actually not terrible and probably average), the opposite DE spot, the 2022 and beyond DT spot, especially if we don't re-sign Ogunjobi, both safety spots (and even 1 if Delpit comes back 100% and balls out), the opposite CB spot of Ward (and we need depth too because even if Greedy comes back and manages to stay healthy, both him and Ward have injury issues), and we need another WR after we likely trade OBJ, whether that guy is a burner or a big bodied outside guy. We could probably use another swing interior OL as well. Hubbard has been fantastic as a swing OG/RT, but we need to hope Harris is our future center, and we also have to consider Bitonio's age, contract status, etc.

So, that makes, by my calculation:

5-6 major defensive needs where we have guys starting who are not NFL caliber starters

2 defensive needs pending contracts and the next 2 years for starting replacement/depth

1-2 offensive needs to take us to "the next level".

Obviously, we can't address all of these in a single off-season, but it would make sense to address 4-5 of these in 2021 via both free agency and the draft, and the other 3-4 in the following year.

By then, we'll have some tough decisions to make with Baker's contract and having to decide whether or not to pay guys like Ward, Wyatt Teller, Nick Chubb, etc.

Some here are going to hate me for saying this, but I'd consider trading Hunt while his value is high and signing Chubb to a nice 4-5 year deal and drafting another RB in the 2nd/3rd if I could get good value from Kareem. While I LOVE Kareem and he's been outstanding, with all of those other areas to address from a dollars/cents and position standpoint, in light of what we're going to likely pay Baker and are paying Myles, not to mention likely Ward, it would give us a decent draft pick and free up some money elsewhere.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

1-2 offensive needs to take us to "the next level".

I don't think we really have offensive needs. Maybe another WR, but the ancillary pieces are playing balls to the wall recently. Between DPJ, Hodge, and Higgins, I don't know if we have a need at WR. The only way we would have to bolster the offense, IMO, is if we decided to trade OBJ, which I hope we don't.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Some here are going to hate me for saying this, but I'd consider trading Hunt while his value is high

I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I highly doubt that happens. Our current front office just signed him to an extension. If he wasn't in the long-term plans, he wouldn't have ever been re-signed. Plus, for the talent he is, that contract is extremely team-friendly. 

2 minutes ago, QBIso said:

I don't think we really have offensive needs. Maybe another WR, but the ancillary pieces are playing balls to the wall recently. Between DPJ, Hodge, and Higgins, I don't know if we have a need at WR. The only way we would have to bolster the offense, IMO, is if we decided to trade OBJ, which I hope we don't.

IMO I think OBJ is gone. If we trade him, we still need a major vertical/consistent deep threat or another legitimate WR1/2 on the outside. I love Higgins on the outside as a #2 with Landry in the slot, but if DPJ isn't a viable #1/#2, then he's probably a good #3/#4 deep threat guy. If DPJ ends up balling out and making the jump people thought he would do at UM, then that's absolutely fantastic, but until that happens, I'd still try to get someone else on the outside and for Red Zone situations.

2 minutes ago, QBIso said:

I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I highly doubt that happens. Our current front office just signed him to an extension. If he wasn't in the long-term plans, he wouldn't have ever been re-signed. Plus, for the talent he is, that contract is extremely team-friendly. 

Oh yeah, no doubt. I really don't care either way, but I don't see us not paying Nick Chubb or signing him at least to a 2-4 year extension. I know positional value and all of that, but the dude is legit and this team is built for running the ball.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d move on from OBJ, spend a mid rounder on a vertical threat, and keep Hunt and Chubb.

I’ll worry about making tough decisions for salary purposes when the time comes, but we’re not there yet.

I'd like to see them trade OBJ and save a ton of money and recoup some value, which also gives us major flexibility going forward for those cap issues as well. I'd love to keep both Chubb and Hunt, but I'd also be curious to see what Hunt fetches in a trade. I'm ALL IN on "Team Re-sign Nick Chubb".

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd like to see them trade OBJ and save a ton of money and recoup some value, which also gives us major flexibility going forward for those cap issues as well. I'd love to keep both Chubb and Hunt, but I'd also be curious to see what Hunt fetches in a trade. I'm ALL IN on "Team Re-sign Nick Chubb".

I just like the idea of keeping Hunt as we’re trying to be a run first team as our identity and having two legitimately elite backs to rotate in is an amazing luxury.

Hunt adds far more to this offense than OBJ imo.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not...the next 2 seasons we are designed to be a running team.......

tumblr_owk89o5P9i1vwrm9ao4_400.gifv

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just like the idea of keeping Hunt as we’re trying to be a run first team as our identity and having two legitimately elite backs to rotate in is an amazing luxury.

Hunt adds far more to this offense than OBJ imo.

Make no mistake, I'm not "all in" on trading Hunt, but given his past indiscretions (likely/hopefully behind him), the luxury we have with Chubb, the positional value of RB's in general, I can't help but wonder if we could trade him for a nice return, then get a guy cheap like Mike Davis, Chris Carson, or Marlon Mack as that 2nd guy, and then consider drafting a mid round guy every year (very ZBS Mike Shanahan thing to do).

Don't get me wrong, if Kareem stays put the next two years, I'd love to have him. I'm more or less just brainstorming.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I would give Nick Chubb an empty checkbook and re-sign him long-term and I would also keep Kareem around, keep your strength and strength.

I think you bring both Baker and Chubb in during the off season and have a real discussion about where the team is heading and how the cap structure will work for the team. 

When you sign for this, we can only spend this at these positions. If both take a decent hometown discount we should be ok for the next couple years. Mostly worried that Baker will want top dollar and we go through what Dallas is going through with Dak.