Tracking the Seattle Seahawks

NewAge

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I disagreed.   There is a history of NFL teams taking G in top 10 prior to Nelson but as for Center, Fat Chance.

Yes, there is no history but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t. It just means it has not happened yet. It used to be iOL was never taken in round one. It used to be that several RB were taken in round one. Things change. With that said, I’d rather pass on a 285 lb OC in the top 10 and get our OC early in round 2.

There is also a game played on draft day by all GM’s. Why draft a guy a higher if you think you can draft him or a reasonable like player a bit later?  This does not pertain to Linderbaum as he isn’t gettin past 15, but in general, GM’s love playing that gamble. I, for one, would make a bad GM because I would draft a guy I liked regardless of draft position. Successful GM’s can play the game well and get a good prospect as well as their guy later.  Would I take Mangold tip 10 knowing what I know now? Absolutely. But a good GM would take another good prospect and land Mangold later. 

51 minutes ago, xrade said:

Yes, there is no history but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t. It just means it has not happened yet. It used to be iOL was never taken in round one. It used to be that several RB were taken in round one. Things change. With that said, I’d rather pass on a 285 lb OC in the top 10 and get our OC early in round 2.

There is also a game played on draft day by all GM’s. Why draft a guy a higher if you think you can draft him or a reasonable like player a bit later?  This does not pertain to Linderbaum as he isn’t gettin past 15, but in general, GM’s love playing that gamble. I, for one, would make a bad GM because I would draft a guy I liked regardless of draft position. Successful GM’s can play the game well and get a good prospect as well as their guy later.  Would I take Mangold tip 10 knowing what I know now? Absolutely. But a good GM would take another good prospect and land Mangold later. 

I didn't recheck everything but I absolutely think Mangold had best athletic test for Center. He went to 29. Not to mention he had a whopping high wonderlic score, 33 or 38 something.   Ryan Kelly may be next best in that regard and was taken at 16.  Both had solid 40 times like sub 5.05 and 40 yard.

Linderbaum could topple that as I think he will manage to run 4.85 something at 40 yard.  Size and strength will need to be confirmed. Anyway, many NFL teams care about Center handling IQ, pairing up with G and holding the fort on front so 4.85 doesn't improve those areas at all.

However, I can see he may be taken in top 10 to play G at first before shifting back to C or whatever. Athleticism can be beneficial there.  I don't know.

Ah...  Bruce Arians and his Cardinals drafted G Jonathan Cooper in top 10 but Arians projected Cooper as C. lol. What a muck up!

Edited by JetsandI

27 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

The only argument against Linderbaum top 10 is we can land a great Center round 2.  If we take Neal and then want to trade back and see how the board goes for defense (Ojabo, Lloyd, Gardener) I'm cool with that then getting the next Center in round 2.

But there certainly is a difference between choosing him at 6 and choosing him at 9. Can we honestly look at our team say McGovern is one of our biggest weakness’? I don’t think so. There’s countless other areas that need addressed more. Let’s say we choose Neal at 8… while OT wasn’t a huge weakness for us… RG was. And he can play 4 spots on the OL. Make Becton earn that LT spot over Neal. We decide to keep Fant… move Neal to RG as a rookie. 

You don't use high pick to flip prospect around.

Becton was drafted to play LT but he screwed it up physically. Lucky for JD that we still have Fant on the roster.

LT checked whether or not Becton earns back LT spot.

Vera-Tucker was drafted to play LG and likely stay there.

LG checked.

C is covered by a veteran with one year left on contract.

C checked but possibly take Linderbaum after trade down to slide the veteran to RG.

RG and RT (Fant) are unchecked but will JD spend top pick to fill those out?  I don't know but I doubt it.

If Jets plan to flip around to see whoever sticks well then they should use non 1st round picks on OL. 

Edited by JetsandI

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

Am I the only one to think it is stupid to remove a top 5 LT and replace him with Becton?  Just keep Fant at LT and make Becton earn the RT spot. Why **** with the LT spot that is working ATM?

I think Jets continue having Fant and Vera Tucker at leftside next season but you never know.

I hope some team in the 5-10 range tries moving up to 4 (assuming that’s when the Jets first pick) for a QB and toss in a second rounder. Ojabo + Linderbaum + three of the first ~10 picks of the second round (maybe grab a TE, WR, and DB there if the board falls that way). 

This is probably more realistic if the Texans win again and the Jets end up with the third pick. Someone might want to jump Houston for Pickett or whatever QB hopefully ends up getting buzz. Of course, it’s also possible in that scenario that Detroit goes QB and one of Thibs/Hutchinson falls to the Jets. 

Edited by NewAge

If you’re picking 7 and say I won’t draft that guy at 7, maybe at 15 but not 7 then you’re doing your franchise a disservice especially if he’s high on your overall board. 

I remember campaigning for TJ Watt at 6 the year we drafted Adams but that was “too early” for him but if we were picking in the 20s no one had a problem with it. 

This isn’t a kicker or punter. This is a guy who will grow with our young pieces on offense and anchor the line for the next 10+ years.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If you’re picking 7 and say I won’t draft that guy at 7, maybe at 15 but not 7 then you’re doing your franchise a disservice especially if he’s high on your overall board. 

I remember campaigning for TJ Watt at 6 the year we drafted Adams but that was “too early” for him but if we were picking in the 20s no one had a problem with it. 

This isn’t a kicker or punter. This is a guy who will grow with our young pieces on offense and anchor the line for the next 10+ years.

That is why I am altering my opinion daily. lol.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I don’t disagree with you… but you yourself have countless times have said certain positions you just don’t think are 1st round worthy. So that’s kinda contradicting. For example, Ive got eaten alive every time I’ve brought up a 1st round WR. Reason is bc people say there’s so much talent at WR later in the draft. Well I’d love for everyone to list me the star Centers drafted top 10. So if people are going to take the side of “you can get starting talent at that spot later in the draft”… it can’t only apply when you want it to. So either the stance of choosing Lindy top 10 is correct but therefore you’ve been wrong in the past about saying WR you can wait. Or stick to what you’ve said. And say C isn’t worth a top 10 pick. Bc history 100% shows you don’t need a top 10 C to win.