2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Personality wise yes but Bowles was/is a better defensive coach. Its tbd on how Saleh will be as a Head Coach. 

A legit worry with me regarding Saleh is not having the talent he had in SF here in NY. Its true with a lot of coaches... but it worries me with him. Much like Bienamy without his guys.

This is an added reason I like Daboll.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A legit worry with me regarding Saleh is not having the talent he had in SF here in NY. Its true with a lot of coaches... but it worries me with him. Much like Bienamy without his guys.

Saleh has shown the ability to adapt to in game situations.  He'll adjust to his talent.  We have a great DL and if we can find a CB opposite Hall could have a solid secondary too.  

If Mosley comes back at full strength that only strengthens our run D.  Our D played pretty well with 0 offensive support.  There should be enough here with some tweaks to be a middle of the pack D.

Really need to get the offense to catch up to the defense now.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I can def see the parallel between the two. 

How would you feel if they didn't even meet with Daboll again before hiring someone?

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Saleh has shown the ability to adapt to in game situations.  He'll adjust to his talent.  We have a great DL and if we can find a CB opposite Hall could have a solid secondary too.  

If Mosley comes back at full strength that only strengthens our run D.  Our D played pretty well with 0 offensive support.  There should be enough here with some tweaks to be a middle of the pack D.

Really need to get the offense to catch up to the defense now.

Agreed. But we have no clue what he will do on offense. And as you said... the offense is what needs nearly all the work this offseason. Scary to go into a rebuild of the offense with a defensive guy as the HC. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I can def see the parallel between the two. 

How would you feel if they didn't even meet with Daboll again before hiring someone?

I wouldn't be happy. I don't dislike Saleh. So I wouldn't be pissed. But I think Daboll should get another interview before making a quick decision. Patience I think can help us. Could all be smoke regarding other teams ready to possibly offer Saleh a job. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I wouldn't be happy. I don't dislike Saleh. So I wouldn't be pissed. But I think Daboll should get another interview before making a quick decision. Patience I think can help us. Could all be smoke regarding other teams ready to possibly offer Saleh a job. 

Just seems to be out of the norm from what Douglas said the search would be like. This isn't thorough at all unless every other candidate bombed and Saleh had an amazing interview it just doesn't make sense. Like I'd be happy with Saleh too but I'd feel like we rushed. 

• Like 1

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Just seems to be out of the norm from what Douglas said the search would be like. This isn't thorough at all unless every other candidate bombed and Saleh had an amazing interview it just doesn't make sense. Like I'd be happy with Saleh too but I'd feel like we rushed. 

Exactly. Doesn't fit with the way JD conducts business. 

Still missing the Daboll love.

What makes him different as a head coaching prospect than like...Brian Schottenheimer? Tons of mediocre-bad years in the NFL, some time at college, back to the NFL and has one productive year on offense.

When the Bills hired him a few years ago I remember people legit laughing at the hire. Was this season really enough to propel him from laughable to can't miss head coach prospect?

1 minute ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Still missing the Daboll love.

What makes him different as a head coaching prospect than like...Brian Schottenheimer? Tons of mediocre-bad years in the NFL, some time at college, back to the NFL and has one productive year on offense.

When the Bills hired him a few years ago I remember people legit laughing at the hire. Was this season really enough to propel him from laughable to can't miss head coach prospect?

The best thing about him IMO is going to be his knowledge of the Pats/Dolphins and Bills defensive schemes due to his years working with them. That can give us a lot of advantages in divisional matchups which are vital in making the post season. 

• Like 1

Also just a general conversation I'd like to have on QB development. We're giving all this credit to Daboll for Josh Allen's improvement but does he necessarily deserve that? I wish I could remember who said it years ago, but I remember a well respected coach basically saying "mechanics" or "fundamentals" or whatever are basically up the player to fix largely. Coaches are definitely there to teach players stuff but they're also spending a lot of their time implementing offenses and schemes and trying to work with how good players are. Josh Allen fixed a lot over the off-season when he wasn't even in contact with Daboll.

55 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How do you guys feel about Saleh only coaching one above average defense in his 4 years as a coordinator?

Not being argumentative but can you explain this?

2017: 25th in points, 24th in yards

2018: 28th in points, 13th in yards

2019: 8th in points, 2nd in yards

2020: 17th in points, 5th in yards

Seems like more than just one "above average" defense.  The Jets would kill to have those numbers.  You figure the 49ers defense was atrocious when he got there, (legit 32nd in both categories in 2016) and it took a season or two to get his guys there.  They jumped to 13th in yards in Year 2, fielded an elite unit in Year 3, and then with a slew of injuries still fielded a great defense this season.  

If you're holding 2017 against him where he literally took over the NFL's worst defense I think that's a bit un-fair.  He turned the league's worst into an elite unit in a matter of two seasons.  

1 minute ago, Fort4242 said:

Not being argumentative but can you explain this?

2017: 25th in points, 24th in yards

2018: 28th in points, 13th in yards

2019: 8th in points, 2nd in yards

2020: 17th in points, 5th in yards

Seems like more than just one "above average" defense.  The Jets would kill to have those numbers.  You figure the 49ers defense was atrocious when he got there, (legit 32nd in both categories in 2016) and it took a season or two to get his guys there.  They jumped to 13th in yards in Year 2, fielded an elite unit in Year 3, and then with a slew of injuries still fielded a great defense this season.  

If you're holding 2017 against him where he literally took over the NFL's worst defense I think that's a bit un-fair.  He turned the league's worst into an elite unit in a matter of two seasons.  

25th and 28th are literally bottom of the pit

17th is average.

Less points your opponent scores the better.