What movie are you watching?

Forge

Just now, MacReady said:

Though insanely talented and visionary, Tarkovsky only made two movies tolerable enough to watch. This was one of them.

i've only seen this and solaris. solaris i rewatched pretty immediately, really loved it. taking a little break from him for a couple weeks, but was gonna watch andrei rublev next

theater tonight is doing a double feature of thousands of beavers and aggro drift, which i've been trying to find somewhere to watch for a while, so really excited. this is my barbenheimer 

18 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i've only seen this and solaris. solaris i rewatched pretty immediately, really loved it. taking a little break from him for a couple weeks, but was gonna watch andrei rublev next

theater tonight is doing a double feature of thousands of beavers and aggro drift, which i've been trying to find somewhere to watch for a while, so really excited. this is my barbenheimer 

If you’ve watched Solaris and Stalker, you need not waste your time on any other Tarkovsky.

Andrei Rublev was the single most boring, pretentious snore fest I’ve ever watched and if not, it’s in the top ten.

I know you still like to think you like pretentious drivel so you might dig it, but if I wanted to watch 97 hours of visual art with no substance I’d just set a Picasso in front of a treadmill and at least get some exercise out of it.

3 minutes ago, MacReady said:

If you’ve watched Solaris and Stalker, you need not waste your time on any other Tarkovsky.

Andrei Rublev was the single most boring, pretentious snore fest I’ve ever watched and if not, it’s in the top ten.

I know you still like to think you like pretentious drivel so you might dig it, but if I wanted to watch 97 hours of visual art with no substance I’d just set a Picasso in front of a treadmill and at least get some exercise out of it.

yeah i was holding off and never really rushing to watch his **** because i was expecting it to be really slow meditative **** that was more of mood piece (which is not my thing at all) than something actually exciting conceptually and with the dialogue. it's been surprising me that that hasn't been the case, but yeah i know those were his two big accessible movies. i know his later stuff gets that wrap from a lot of people, didn't think rublev really did

17 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Yeah definitely in the bottom half of van damme movies

My favorites are

1. Death Warrant

2. Bloodsport

3. Hard Target

4. Timecop

5. The double identity one where he plays the good and bad guy

6. Nowhere to Run

#5 is double impact. I watched that so many times as a kid. Hated timecop 

in no order my favorites are the quest, double impact, nowhere to run, bloodsport, universal solider

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

#5 is double impact. I watched that so many times as a kid. Hated timecop 

in no order my favorites are the quest, double impact, nowhere to run, bloodsport, universal solider

I FORGOT ABOUT UNIVERSAL SOLIDER

thats number 1 for me

23 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

The Birdcage was hilarious.  Robin Williams and Gene Hackman are both funny in this.  Nathan Lane was a scene stealer, he was great in it.  Williams and Lane are a gay couple who live above the drag club they run.  Williams son says he's getting married to the daughter of a conservative senator, who's coming to meet them.  The entire dinner scene is worth the price of admission.  Worth watching every year or two. 

Agreed, amazing film and one of the all time greats.  This scene to me is easily the best in the film, Robin Williams is amazing like he is in most films.  Super creative film and is a classic that should be shown more often honestly because it is ten times better than most crap coming out of Hollywood in the past 10 years in terms of comedy.  

Of the top 20 comedy films all time, The Birdcage is easily in the top 20.  

Greenland was not a terrible movie, but holy cow… In an industry rife with issues the one thing Hollywood has GOT to work on is obnoxious kids in movies.

Remove the stupid kid from this movie and it is instantly improved.

That’s true for virtually every movie ever made, but especially true with this one.

That kid was as useless as nipples on a turtle. All he did was cry. If I was his parent I’d just say lol, leave him, I’m getting on this plane.

On 5/13/2024 at 9:02 PM, Malfatron said:

Yeah definitely in the bottom half of van damme movies

My favorites are

1. Death Warrant

2. Bloodsport

3. Hard Target

4. Timecop

5. The double identity one where he plays the good and bad guy

6. Nowhere to Run

Universal Soldier and Cyborg were good. Well, tbh I haven’t seen either in years so I don’t know if they hold up lol.  Always preferred Steven Seagal to JCVD. 

Watching the Beatles 'Get Back' documentary again as it's a wonderful background noise while I work.  I seemingly come back to this every few months and enjoy it just as much each time.  John, Ringo and Hogg discussing sets and show while in the background McCartney is casually coming up with and working out Let it Be.  **** man, unreal.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:31 PM, MacReady said:

Greenland was not a terrible movie, but holy cow… In an industry rife with issues the one thing Hollywood has GOT to work on is obnoxious kids in movies.

Remove the stupid kid from this movie and it is instantly improved.

That’s true for virtually every movie ever made, but especially true with this one.

That kid was as useless as nipples on a turtle. All he did was cry. If I was his parent I’d just say lol, leave him, I’m getting on this plane.

The exception is Close Encounter of the Third Kind where kids act like dumb kids and just run around and say random dumb stuff in the background. Probably the most realistic movie in that respect

• Like 1

I lost my zeal for Wes Andersen after I could NOT get through Isle of Dogs for the life of me.

Rewatched Life Aquatic a bit ago. It’s still fine. Can’t really get into non sci fi/horror/fantasy as much as I used to be able to, but it was still fine.

Rewatching Bottle Rocket now though reminds me how I used to be able to be so high on Wes Andersen.

Just such a fantastic debut. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacReady said:

Rewatching Bottle Rocket now though reminds me how I used to be able to be so high on Wes Andersen.

Just such a fantastic debut. 

I don't think there will ever be a movie character I find funnier than dignan. every single ******* thing owen wilson does in that movie makes me laugh. every piece of dialogue, every microexpression, etc. it's the funniest performance of all time for me. and it just gets better every rewatch. have watched bottle rocket at least 12 times. 

life aquatic is also one of my favorite movies of all time. 

love

1) life aquatic
2) bottle rocket

like a lot 

3) asteroid city
4) darjeeling 

5) royal tenenbaums 

whatever/decent fun

6) rushmore
7) fantastic mr fox

kinda disliked

8)) moonrise kingdom

did not like

9) french dispatch (but the benicio/seydoux section I loved)
10) grand budapest
10) henry sugar anthology series
11) isle of dogs 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Personally Grand Budapest was my favorite of his. Not a fan of Life Aquatic. Darjeeling probably his most underrated. I always think it's interesting which movies of his people like best, opinions are very diverse. 

My top 5 would be

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Royal Tenenbaums
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. Rushmore

It took me a few sittings to get through Astroid City but I should give it another shot. I feel like I should have liked it more than I did.

He's definitely one of my favorite directors right now even if I don't like everything he does. 

Edited by skywindO2

Posted (edited)

From memory, Rushmore was my least favorite Anderson film.

I remember disliking Jason Schwartzman’s character so much that I couldn’t tolerate the movie.

I’m rewatching it now.

I love the way his movies look and I love his dialogue, but as a movie Rushmore is just not good for me.

Edit: Yep, it’s good, but definitely my least favorite of all Anderson films.

I think I’ll watch Moonrise Kingdom or Royal Tenenbaums tomorrow night Royal Tenenbaums has always been my favorite, but it’s been so so long since I’ve watched any of his movies. Grand Budapest Hotel’s release date was 2014 and I’m certain that was the last time I watched any of his movies.

Edited by MacReady