What movie are you watching?

Forge

Inglourious Basterds was a masterpiece and I really liked how there was balance to the sides. In a satirical kind of movie you’d kinda expect the nazis to all be doofuses but a few of the higher ups were intelligent and saw right through things. I think the alternate history ending where they wipe out all of nazi Germany was what made it eternally rewatchable (since a  more historically realistic ending would’ve taken away from the movie I think). Still think it’s hilarious how over the top the execution of hitler and everyone else was lol. This is one of a few movies I can watch over and over again and never grow tired of

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Man who shot Liberty Valance is such a dynamite film.  That line from the reporter at the end of the film still resonates so damned much in today's society.  

Jimmy Stewart AND John Wayne (and Lee Marvin).  Sign me up.  Not to mention, some of the greatest character actors from movies, old time radio and early tv.  

It was a real eye-opener for me. I had seen "The Searchers" quite some time ago, but had forgotten how good it was. And, until the recent binge on his films, had not realized what I'd been missing out on. I was under the impression that the Spaghetti Western era produced the best films of the genre, & that Clint was the quintessential Western icon. Upon reflection, if I'm honest, it simply has to be John Wayne. 

A good portion of movies on that list are all-time classics. Then, there's a few that are thoroughly enjoyable on the back of The Duke's ability to carry a film.

Wayne was undoubtedly the precursor to the successful careers that Eastwood, Schwarzenegger, & Johnson enjoyed/enjoy in Hollywood... "The Charismatic Man's Man." And, nobody does it better than John Wayne. I don't think I've ever seen a guy exude so much of that mysterious thing we call charisma. 

Edited by Marc MacGyver

14 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

It was a real eye-opener for me. I had seen "The Searchers" quite some time ago, but had forgotten how good it was. And, until the recent binge on his films, had not realized what I'd been missing out on. I was under the impression that the Spaghetti Western era produced the best films of the genre, & that Clint was the quintessential Western icon. Upon reflection, if I'm honest, it simply has to be John Wayne. 

A good portion of movies on that list are all-time classics. Then, there is few that are thoroughly enjoyable on the back of the Duke's ability to carry a film.

Wayne was undoubtedly the precursor to the successful careers that Eastwood, Schwarzenegger, & Johnson enjoyed in Hollywood... "The Charismatic Man's Man." And, nobody does it better than John Wayne. I don't think I've ever seen a guy exude so much of that mysterious thing we call charisma. 

Nobody tops The Duke.  Guy had more range than he gets credit for as well.  Sure, they are all similar type characters for the most part, but he shows plenty of emotions and range within that character archetype throughout his career.  The Quiet Man isn't a western, but it falls into the same category of Wayne being the Man's man, but also something more.  It's in my top 10-15 favorite movies.

McClintock is a great western comedy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyty said:

Inglourious Basterds was a masterpiece and I really liked how there was balance to the sides. In a satirical kind of movie you’d kinda expect the nazis to all be doofuses but a few of the higher ups were intelligent and saw right through things. I think the alternate history ending where they wipe out all of nazi Germany was what made it eternally rewatchable (since a  more historically realistic ending would’ve taken away from the movie I think). Still think it’s hilarious how over the top the execution of hitler and everyone else was lol. This is one of a few movies I can watch over and over again and never grow tired of

August Diehl should have gotten an Oscar for that basement scene. 

2 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

A good portion of movies on that list are all-time classics. Then, there's a few that are thoroughly enjoyable on the back of The Duke's ability to carry a film.

Wayne was undoubtedly the precursor to the successful careers that Eastwood, Schwarzenegger, & Johnson enjoyed/enjoy in Hollywood... "The Charismatic Man's Man." And, nobody does it better than John Wayne. I don't think I've ever seen a guy exude so much of that mysterious thing we call charisma. 

I'd recommend the film "Shane" as well.  Jimmy Stewart did some fantastic westerns as well.

Great site to see who is what film (different from IMDB)

• Like 2

Watched a bunch of movies the past few days:

Cockneys vs Zombies - A great small comedy about a zombie outbreak in London.

Super 8 - Hadn't watched it in a while, forgot how enjoyable it was. Has that underdog story and time period that I like.

Man from U.N.C.L.E. - Another one I can watch any time. I wish they had made a sequel, I could have watched a lot of those movies.

Sahara - Another really fun one, Steve Zahn definitely steals the show. Wish we'd gotten a second one.

I decided to dig through some of my old DVDs and popped in Terminator 1. Still a great movie to this day. Hope they do T6 justice (and with an R rating!) with James Cameron returning. 

Tim Miller (director of the first Deadpool) is directing, so it has potential and a good chance of returning to its R roots. 

Edited by KManX89

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

I decided to dig through some of my old DVDs and popped in Terminator 1. Still a great movie to this day. Hope they do T6 justice (and with an R rating!) with James Cameron returning. 

Tim Miller (director of the first Deadpool) is directing, so it has potential and a good chance of returning to its R roots. 

Arnie back to being a baddie in this one.