What movie are you watching?

Forge

Finished The Irishman and I just felt like, “Alright...”

It was good, but nothing really all that amazing.  Goodfellas is still better.  By a lot.  

If you watch it over a couple nights and you like crime dramas give it a go for sure, but it’s not worth sitting down and watching for 3.5 hours straight, and don’t expect to be amazed.  

Just now, BroncosFan2010 said:

I loved The Irishman, the political ramifications of the entire mafia / union scene was new and unbelievable to me. Loved seeing those old guys give excellent performances as their swan songs. And to me, Pacino stood out the most. This was his best work in decades.

Yeah, that's the only thing it had for it though.  There was literally nothing memorable or groundbreaking or all that impressive EXCEPT for De Niro and Pacino trying again guest starring Joe Pesci. 

I've always felt Pesci was the best of the three of them, so seeing him again was the highlight of the movie for me. 

There was literally nothing memorable or groundbreaking or all that impressive

Maybe nothing groundbreaking, but it told an extremely detailed, interesting story in a way that kept your attention for 3.5 hours (Or, at least kept mine). I am biased as the mafia / cuba / union / political intermingling of the 50's - 60's is something that fascinates me. 

On 12/2/2019 at 10:11 AM, Outpost31 said:

Finished The Irishman and I just felt like, “Alright...”

It was good, but nothing really all that amazing.  Goodfellas is still better.  By a lot.  

If you watch it over a couple nights and you like crime dramas give it a go for sure, but it’s not worth sitting down and watching for 3.5 hours straight, and don’t expect to be amazed.  

I haven't seen it yet and am considering skipping it altogether just because I'm so disgusted with Deniro's absurd political statements recently.  I won't elaborate on that due to the rules of FF, but in any case, it's good to know I'm not missing much if I do skip it.  I always love Pesci in a mobster role though, and I should probably take advantage of seeing anything that Al Pacino does at this stage of his career, especially in this genre.

For those of you who haven't seen it, I would HIGHLY recommend checking out Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jimmy Hoffa in the movie "Hoffa."  IMO, it's one the best movies of Jack's career, and in his case, that is a bold statement.  It was an awesome movie.

Speaking of DeNiro and mob movies, another movie that I highly recommend is "A Bronx Tale", which was directed by Robert DeNiro.  It is a very underrated movie, that is almost as good as Goodfellas, IMHO.  It has a terrific soundtrack of music from the 60's, and has a lot more depth than just a typical shoot-em-up with nothing going for it besides an ever increasing body count.  If you like mob movies, do yourself a favor and check it out.  You'll be glad you did.