What movie are you watching?

Forge

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Spenser Confidential was not a terrible movie.

Netflix is great at making not terrible movies.  

Have they hit a home run on any of their original movies?  I think the best one I've seen is Outlaw King, or maybe The King, but neither is a movie I really love.

They do have some damn good series though. 

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Have they hit a home run on any of their original movies?  I think the best one I've seen is Outlaw King, or maybe The King, but neither is a movie I really love.

The Highwaymen
Roma
Always Be My Maybe (for me anyways)
Beasts of No Nation

Then you have The Two Popes and The Irishman that got critical praise for performances.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Spenser Confidential was not a terrible movie.

Netflix is great at making not terrible movies.  

It's a great tagline for their brand, and totally spot on. 

"Netflix: great at making not terrible movies" 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

They've had quite a few get some critical acclaim..and like Outpost said, they have a lot of "not terrible" movies. 

I enjoyed the Old Guard. 6 underground was a "not terrible" action flick. I have liked some of the romcoms; always be my maybe as well as the set up and all the boys I've loved. I enjoyed Okja a few years back. 

No, Netflix has not made a truly great film.  At least not one I've seen.  Beasts of No Nation is great, maybe Roma is great.

My bet is both are pretentious drivel that just got way overhyped  like at least 9 out of the last 10 best picture winners. 

Sooner or later Netflix is going to make a truly great movie with wide appeal that's not pretentious drivel. 

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No, Netflix has not made a truly great film.  At least not one I've seen.  Beasts of No Nation is great, maybe Roma is great.

My bet is both are pretentious drivel that just got way overhyped  like at least 9 out of the last 10 best picture winners. 

Sooner or later Netflix is going to make a truly great movie with wide appeal that's not pretentious drivel. 

I thought Hold the Dark was pretty good. Probably the only Netflix original I'd watch multiple times. Mostly has to do with Riley Keough though 😁

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The Highwaymen
Roma
Always Be My Maybe (for me anyways)
Beasts of No Nation

Then you have The Two Popes and The Irishman that got critical praise for performances.

I forgot about The Highwaymen, that might be the best one I've seen.  Roma didn't catch my attention in the trailer at all, so I haven't seen it.  I heard good things about Beast of No Nation, but haven't seen that either.  I've never even heard of Always Be My Maybe, but I do enjoy a good rom com, so maybe i'll suggest that the next time the wife wants to watch a movie.

I’m trying to watch only movies I’ve never seen before, but I saw The Relic on Hulu and I had to watch it again.  I used to watch this anytime I could and loved it as a kid.

So far it’s a little dated, but not terrible.  

And lol.  Two kids stuck in the museum:

You farted!

No, not lately.

Legit had me loling.  

OMG I hate everyone. 

I recommended Love and Monsters to someone.  I loved the movie.  Like it's one of my favorites over the past 5 years.  I'll be the first to admit it is not a great movie.  Nothing profound.  Nothing deep.  Nothing remotely progressive as far as film and not some technical, story, script, acting or any masterpiece on any level.  It's just a highly enjoyable movie. 

So I recommended it to someone.  They watched it.  They took issue with how smart the dog was.  How it was able to do this and that.  And I just...

You're talking about a movie where rocket spice (chemicals, spice just sounded better) came back to the Earth after destroying an asteroid and turned all cold-blooded animals into something different.  Not just different, but astronomically different.  Ten thousand times their normal size, completely different physiology, like it turned a ****ing snail the size of an elephant.  This movie did all that and you can't suspend disbelief enough to assume that maybe the same rocket chemicals that did that to cold blooded animals couldn't have heightened the intelligence of a mammal? 

I am done recommending movies to people.  When they ask me for a movie suggestion, I am recommending Leonard Part 6 and The Crying Game. 

Those are the only two movies I will ever recommend to anybody who ever ******* about a movie suggestion I give them. 

It's one and done for me from now on. 

It's always the same people who always ask for movie recommendations who **** on your movie recommendations.  I still get **** from my dad about recommending Moonrise Kingdom to him.  He literally asked for something cute, funny, recent that him, his wife and his sister would all enjoy.  Like WTF?  

And the same person who complained about Love and Monsters complained about Interstellar being impossible because they're too ****ing stupid to understand the concept of time being non-linear.  So I recommended Arrival to them out of spite and they watched it and they still don't understand the concept.

Leonard Part 6 and The Crying Game. 

• Like 1