What movie are you watching?

Forge

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

The Midnight Sky is the boringest pretentiousest movie ever and George Clooney is the most pretentious hack there is.  Except unlike a lot of pretentious hacks (Lynch, Cronenberg, Arronofsky, etc), Clooney doesn’t have any actual talent.  So watching one of his movies is like watching an Arronofsky movie if Arronofsky just recently had a brain aneurysm.  No, watching a George Clooney movie is like watching an Arronofsky movie, but Arronofsky is a 16 year old clone of Arronofsky who was told he’s a clone of Arronofsky and was given 50 million dollars to make a movie and a bunch of actors who have serious talent were contractually obligated to star in it.

Most entertaining scene was Sweet Caroline.  And not because of the directing, but just because of being able to listen to Sweet Caroline while watching the most boring ****ing movie ever.

Have you ever seen Michael Clayton? or are you talking about him as a director?

On 1/9/2021 at 10:30 PM, Outpost31 said:

I really, really, really, really, really loved Love and Monsters.

It created a fantastically fun world. 

I really, really, really hope there's a sequel.

I feel like this would have been a surprise hit if it hadn't been for covid. 

Very enjoyable movie.  Might be the best of 2020 for me, but I'd have to look at that because I don't even know what came out when anymore. 

Where is that streaming? 

On 1/10/2021 at 8:39 PM, Outpost31 said:

The Midnight Sky is the boringest pretentiousest movie ever and George Clooney is the most pretentious hack there is.  Except unlike a lot of pretentious hacks (Lynch, Cronenberg, Arronofsky, etc), Clooney doesn’t have any actual talent.  So watching one of his movies is like watching an Arronofsky movie if Arronofsky just recently had a brain aneurysm.  No, watching a George Clooney movie is like watching an Arronofsky movie, but Arronofsky is a 16 year old clone of Arronofsky who was told he’s a clone of Arronofsky and was given 50 million dollars to make a movie and a bunch of actors who have serious talent were contractually obligated to star in it.

Most entertaining scene was Sweet Caroline.  And not because of the directing, but just because of being able to listen to Sweet Caroline while watching the most boring ****ing movie ever.

I'm 3/4 of the way through it. Fell asleep watching last night (I've read spoilers on the ending so I'm aware of the "twist" at the end). I'm on the fence because I think it's lazy when movies have these cataclysmic apocalyptic "events" but leave us viewers in the dark as to what the event actually was. They give subtle clues in the air quality readings and radiation spread. It's really just leaving it up to our imagination, because nothing scares us more then our own fears. When reality really is they just want to avoid plot holes, inconsistencies, and the criticism that follows. It's all to common in these post apocalyptic movies. But to be fair I've read that the book didn't explain these things either so it's not really a knock on Clooney.

His acting for the most part was on par. I thought the scene with the peas was well done, the Sweet Caroline scene as you said. The special effects and CGI were kind of meh, but for a Netflix movie that's forgivable to me. However the little girl who played Iris was so cute and I was quite impressed with her ability to express her feelings with only facial expressions.

For a Netflix movie it was ok. I was entertained for a couple hours.

Edited by Shockwave

Prior to Midnight Sky I had watched Greenland which I think was a much better done apocalyptic movie that actually took the time to delve into the event. Showed the news reporting, the science behind it, and how humanity would realistically react to such an event. Although the ending kind of turned me off.

Edited by Shockwave

On 1/10/2021 at 7:39 PM, Outpost31 said:

you didnt see burn after reading i take it.

best clooney performance.

edit: oh i see clooney directed it, so you meant Director.

it was a competent movie though. you gotta give him that. the issue was that it was a movie with no payoffs. 

Edited by Malfatron

Watched Color out of Space last night. I'm not a huge Lovecraft fan but being he's one of the most famous people from my little state of Rhode Island I've read some of his books. It's been a good 25 years since I read this book but from what I remember the movie makes some drastic changes to the story. Director opted for more gory The Thing like practical special effects. Like body melding due to radiation, mutation etc...those poor Alpacas ...

Anyway it was a decent watch. Quite a mix up from the other movies I've been watching recently. Nick Cage was his usual entertaining self. Loved him in Mandy and he was just as good in this.

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr0uR81tc-pB14rrXq41J

Was a family movie night so the kids picked The Kid Who Would Be King, and while it had a few redeeming parts, it was pretty rough.  The guy who played young Merlin was pretty entertaining and invested in the role, and provided pretty much all of the entertainment value.  The main kids weren't much as actors, and the entire premise is downright silly the more you think about it.  That said, my kids enjoyed it for the most part, and it at least told an entire story that wasn't 100% predictable the entire time, although nothing too shocking happens.

C-