What movie are you watching?

Forge

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s like Liam Neeson challenged himself to not make great movies anymore, but also not make bad movies and instead make the most obnoxiously OKAY movies imaginable for a decade.  Honest Thief was 100% the okayest movie possible.

Now I’m watching Judge Dredd.  Not Dredd.  Judge Dredd, the one that’s enjoyably bad,not enjoyably magnificent.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched it all the way through from start to finish.

I’ve probably seen it all in bits.

That one used to come on TV a lot when I was a kid (HBO or a similar channel), and I thought it was entertaining back then. Then again, I was a kid. The 2012 movie didn’t interest me at all when it came out. So it’s actually magnificent?

1 hour ago, JohnChimpo said:

That one used to come on TV a lot when I was a kid (HBO or a similar channel), and I thought it was entertaining back then. Then again, I was a kid. The 2012 movie didn’t interest me at all when it came out. So it’s actually magnificent?

The 2012 version of Dredd is inarguably a top 5 action movie since at least 1990.

• Like 6

Has anybody watched Monster Hunter?

Typically I just buy those types of movies since they’re creature features and you can’t really **** those up, but it’s got a 5.2 on IMDB.

That is way too low for that type of movie.  Even the last Resident Evil movie had a 5.5

Usually a blockbuster major budget movie has to be a 5.6 or higher to even be enjoyable.

I was anxiously waiting for Coming to America 2 and watched it ASAP when it came out.  Unfortunately, I came away fairly disappointed.  I know it's hard for a sequel to live up to the originality and freshness of the original, but this one was really pretty "meh."  The guys in the barbershop were my favorite in the first one and I couldn't wait to see them again.  Sadly, it seemed like they just kind of created some dialogue for them without putting too much energy into things.  \

Overall, it was nice to see all the old, familiar faces but I came away from it all pretty unimpressed. 

I'd give it 2.5 stars out of 5.

I loved the original Coming to America, but when was the last time Eddie Murphy was truly funny. Dude lost his mojo years ago. The sequel doesn’t interest me.

I’ve been on a classic movie kick lately. Chinatown was great and North By Northwest was even better. Now I’m watching A Face in the Crowd because a friend recommended it, but it’s not great so far. It’s hard to watch Andy Griffith play a jerk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The 2012 version of Dredd is inarguably a top 5 action movie since at least 1990.

Just finished watching it.  I don't know about top 5 since 1990, but you're right, Outpost31, it's definitely up there.  It was a pretty cool movie.  Light years better than Stallone's version! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Just finished watching it.  I don't know about top 5 since 1990, but you're right, Outpost31, it's definitely up there.  It was a pretty cool movie.  Light years better than Stallone's version! 

It and one other movie since I’d say ‘95 are the closest to the golden age of 80’s action.  Dialogue, not holding back on gratuitous violence, pacing...

I won’t say which other one was my favorite because a lot of people disagree with me, but Dredd is much easier to defend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It and one other movie since I’d say ‘95 are the closest to the golden age of 80’s action.  Dialogue, not holding back on gratuitous violence, pacing...

I won’t say which other one was my favorite because a lot of people disagree with me, but Dredd is much easier to defend.

Yeah, it was very good.  Thanks for the recommendation!

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

This scene alone (and everything after it) is enough for Dredd to be about as badass as you could ever want.

Here's the Stallone version of Judge Dredd's "I am the law" speech (try not to laugh):

ROFLMAO, kinda hard not to laugh at Sly's line delivery. 

Anyways, I finally got around to watching the first How to Train Your Dragon movie. I don't watch a lot of animated films and even fewer that aren't based on comic book properties, but I had a blast watching it. I'm here to tell you, it's as great as everyone says it is, a treat for viewers of all ages. The animation is top notch, which looked even more dazzling in 4K, but the story is what really grabbed me from start to finish. This film grows in a lot of different places, you almost feel like you're right there with Hiccup, from his devolving father-son relationship to his finding and befriending Night Fury. Any pet lover will instantly feel warm inside watching his scenes with Night Fury.

This is all topped off with some great action, an amazing ending and creature designs that look straight out of a Monster Hunter game, which now that I mention it, this is a lot more Monster Hunter than the actual Monster Hunter movie we got, thanks once again, Paul. 🙄😠 I still haven't even watched it yet and don't know when or if I plan to subject my eyes to that sure torture (everyone says it's dreadful, shocked Pikachu face).

dogsjourney1-superJumbo-v2.jpg

After watching A Dog's Purpose with the family a few weeks ago, we got around to watching A Dog's Journey and like the first one, it's Emotional Manipulation: The Movie, but in the best sense possible.  Outside of a few pacing issues, you couldn't ask for a better follow up given the premise.  I think I enjoyed this one more than the first, but both seem like they are better than they have any right being.  I'm not the biggest Josh Gad fan, but his voice work in these is right on point.  He brings what he usually brings, but he actually tones it down to the level it needs to be and doesn't go over the top.  If you are looking for a family movie your young ones can watch and your older ones can still enjoy, I can definitely recommend.

B+