What movie are you watching?

Forge

Jujitsu wasnt good at all.

I did enjoy the clumsy Abbott and Costello type routine with the translator in the beginning scene.

by the time nic cage shows up though, its far too late. and this isnt one of his memorable characters either.

Worth a watch though if you have the platform, if you are doing other stuff as the same time

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Grinding through the Snyder Cut.  Some genuinely good parts, but man is Snyder so style over substance, and it is definitely bloated.

Over 10% of the movie is in slow motion lol 

12 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Why tf is this rated 90% on rotten tomatoes lol

It's been a while since i've seen it, but I remember really liking that movie.  More so for Clooney and Farmiga, but I don't remember Kendrick being particularly awful.

16 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Over 10% of the movie is in slow motion lol 

It's ridiculous how much slow motion is in this movie.

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It's been a while since i've seen it, but I remember really liking that movie.  More so for Clooney and Farmiga, but I don't remember Kendrick being particularly awful.

It feels like that cringy Tom Hanks movie Larry Crowne

For a long time I had a lot of indifference for "American History X", but watching it again recently... it's just not a good or even decent movie. I think the overall theme and message of not letting rage/hatred dictate, influence, and corrupt your life is incredibly important and beautiful. Overall though, the movie is full of simply 'cornball' material on it's journey towards establishing that ultimate conclusion.

Every aspect of Derek's life is so deliberately forced that it renders the movie a joke. To start his crime isn't just a crime, it's a theatric slaughter. He isn't just a routine AB dolt, he's some skinhead soldier messiah. His best friend is an over the top neo nazi buffoon, his sister is a firecracker leftist, his favorite teacher/principal is an AA hero like educator who believes no child is beyond help, his little brother's history teacher is a zen Jewish Man and love interest for their mother(Who brings the man around their house despite knowing her son is an unashamed and capable/potentially violent neo nazi), then there's the exaggerated and clearly mentally ill girlfriend.....I mean, are you starting to see my point?

Once in prison, of course the group he's expecting to 'ally' with turns out to not hold him or his beliefs in high regard. And instead he finds himself befriending an AA prisoner he works with- of course. They bond over comedy and sports discussions. Disarming his intense and extreme racial animus quickly, all leading up to the eventual assault carried out on him by members of his own 'group/gang'- another of course. The sympathetic prisoner he befriends happens to carry enough weight to pardon a now unprotected/unallied and famous op of other gangs within the prison system as well- once more... of course.

Nothing feels organic about the characters or plot for me, and the motivations that move the story are needlessly dramatized. Having lived in multiple diverse cities around California, little to nothing about the race relations depicted rings true either. 

A handful of the scenes within the movie are borderline shameful with how truly ham-handed they are, so much so that I'm scared to even look up scenes that were deleted. I haven't seen "Blow" or "Swat", David McKenna's other screenplays that he has co credits on, but it's not a shock to see him now totally faded from industry relevance with his latest film being a 2020 picture staring Stephen Dorff 🤮.

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

For a long time I had a lot of indifference for "American History X", but watching it again recently... it's just not a good or even decent movie. I think the overall theme and message of not letting rage/hatred dictate, influence, and corrupt your life is incredibly important and beautiful. Overall though, the movie is full of simply 'cornball' material on it's journey towards establishing that ultimate conclusion.

Every aspect of Derek's life is so deliberately forced that it renders the movie a joke. To start his crime isn't just a crime, it's a theatric slaughter. He isn't just a routine AB dolt, he's some skinhead soldier messiah. His best friend is an over the top neo nazi buffoon, his sister is a firecracker leftist, his favorite teacher/principal is an AA hero like educator who believes no child is beyond help, his little brother's history teacher is a zen Jewish Man and love interest for their mother(Who brings the man around their house despite knowing her son is an unashamed and capable/potentially violent neo nazi), then there's the exaggerated and clearly mentally ill girlfriend.....I mean, are you starting to see my point?

Once in prison, of course the group he's expecting to 'ally' with turns out to not hold him or his beliefs in high regard. And instead he finds himself befriending an AA prisoner he works with- of course. They bond over comedy and sports discussions. Disarming his intense and extreme racial animus quickly, all leading up to the eventual assault carried out on him by members of his own 'group/gang'- another of course. The sympathetic prisoner he befriends happens to carry enough weight to pardon a now unprotected/unallied and famous op of other gangs within the prison system as well- once more... of course.

Nothing feels organic about the characters or plot for me, and the motivations that move the story are needlessly dramatized. Having lived in multiple diverse cities around California, little to nothing about the race relations depicted rings true either. 

A handful of the scenes within the movie are borderline shameful with how truly ham-handed they are, so much so that I'm scared to even look up scenes that were deleted. I haven't seen "Blow" or "Swat", David McKenna's other screenplays that he has co credits on, but it's not a shock to see him now totally faded from industry relevance with his latest film being a 2020 picture staring Stephen Dorff 🤮.

Blow is a great movie. I'd pass on Swat though.

• Like 2

Gotta finish up Justice League today. It is so much better than it was! Kind of a grind, but I would rather this than the one that got messed up. Especially loving all the backstory they dedicated to the characters and even to Steppenwolf and Darkseid. This version basically saves the Cyborg too.