What movie are you watching?

Forge

Bones and All isn't anything special.  An 18 year old girl who was born a cannibal goes on a journey to find her birth mother.  She meets two other people, both cannibals, one who she develops a friendship with and the other ends up being the villain.  While this movie feels like it wants to be more of a character study, it also feels like you only know what you need to know about the characters.  Also, this movie isn't very re watchable(for me anyway)  It's an ok movie, I wish it was better.  5/10

Is there a franchise that screwed up worse than Terminator?

Terminator 3 turns an epic, brutally violent and bloody sci fi action with some humor into a joke fest mockery of itself. John Connor turned himself into a PAB who doesn’t want to fight and is emasculated multiple times.

Terminator Salvation feels the need to separate the hero role between not two, but three male characters only to kill John Connor and have his resurrection depend completely on that new character you just made up. John Connor plays second fiddle to this loser the whole movie.

Not to be outdone, Terminator Genisys (the second worst in the franchise) decides to turn John Connor into a villain.

The absolute worst in the series was Dark Fate. Just completely eviscerate John Connor by shooting him dead as a dang kid.

What… What about following the progression of the first two and turning John Connor into the focal point of the movie? How did that pass the pitch stage for four straight attempts to make a legitimate sequel to Judgment Day?

10 hours ago, MacReady said:

Is there a franchise that screwed up worse than Terminator?

Terminator 3 turns an epic, brutally violent and bloody sci fi action with some humor into a joke fest mockery of itself. John Connor turned himself into a PAB who doesn’t want to fight and is emasculated multiple times.

Terminator Salvation feels the need to separate the hero role between not two, but three male characters only to kill John Connor and have his resurrection depend completely on that new character you just made up. John Connor plays second fiddle to this loser the whole movie.

Not to be outdone, Terminator Genisys (the second worst in the franchise) decides to turn John Connor into a villain.

The absolute worst in the series was Dark Fate. Just completely eviscerate John Connor by shooting him dead as a dang kid.

What… What about following the progression of the first two and turning John Connor into the focal point of the movie? How did that pass the pitch stage for four straight attempts to make a legitimate sequel to Judgment Day?

The first two are among my favorite movies, but 3 is the most recent one I saw. The rest sound bad. What a waste.

12 hours ago, MacReady said:

Terminator Salvation ....

I have a different take on that installment. Remember the main theme in the franchise is the skynet plot to kill JC. As the multi episode story line progressed skynet had to create increasingly humanistic terminators that could infiltrate JC's inner circle. In T4 skynet went too far.  That final terminator ended up being more man than machine which explains how skynet ultimately destroyed itself.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 3:42 PM, Tetsujin said:

I just watched Chinatown. Fantastic 

I also watched that movie again today.

Honestly I think it sucks.  

Some consider it a Neo Noir film and I love those, well really any detective films and to me these are all way better as a detective film than Chinatown and there are many more after that.

Blade Runner
The Fugitive
Mississippi Burning
Silence of the Lambs

Blood Simple
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Se7en
Psycho
True Romance
The Pelican Brief
Cape Fear (1991)
Dark City
Devil in a Blue Dress
Brick

Faye Dunaway as the lead female actress in the film is pretty lame and not interesting at all honestly.  And Jack, he was good and the only reason the movie totally did not totally suck.  But even his performance was pretty standard Jack Nicholson, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Shinning are way better performances by Jack but also way better movies visually and in terms of story.

The story of Chinatown sucked and was pretty boring I thought. Sure a few twists and turns and sure maybe was exotic at the time but not now a days.  Not an exciting detective film at all and visually was not artistically done well at all and not very creative or unique.

2 hours ago, D82 said:

Sometimes I forget Russell Crowe won an Academy Award. 

In a film where he barely speaks no less lol. 

Good movie but not a Best Actor worthy performance compared to the other nominees in the category imo. Funny how that works tho.  I’d argue that Crowe should’ve won for A Beautiful Mind the following year when Denzel won for Training Day.  Denzel should’ve won in 1999 forThe Hurricane instead of Kevin Spacey (American Beauty). 

10 hours ago, TVScout said:

I have a different take on that installment. Remember the main theme in the franchise is the skynet plot to kill JC. As the multi episode story line progressed skynet had to create increasingly humanistic terminators that could infiltrate JC's inner circle. In T4 skynet went too far.  That final terminator ended up being more man than machine which explains how skynet ultimately destroyed itself.

I don’t understand the hatred for this movie.  The entire concept of this franchise is preventing this dystopian future where humans face extinction from Skynet.  Heaven forbid we finally got to see a film that takes place in said future.  It’s the clear 3rd best film in the franchise by a mile iyam. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I don’t understand the hatred for this movie.  The entire concept of this franchise is preventing this dystopian future where humans face extinction from Skynet.  Heaven forbid we finally got to see a film that takes place in said future.  It’s the clear 3rd best film in the franchise by a mile iyam. 

It's the 3rd best, I agree. Maybe not a mile though.

T2

Terminator

Salvation

Rise of the Machines

Dark Fate

Genysis

Count me in the group of being really underwhelmed by Chinatown.  Same with The French Connection.  I love Gene Hackman, I just don't get it with that movie and the love it gets.

Unrelated....

Recently rewatched The Fast and the Furious while I was building something for one of my sons, it's a good "have on in the background" type of movie.  The story holds up, but man are there some terrible lines of dialogue in that movie.  Still fun and at least somewhat grounded before the franchise went off the rails stupid.

• Like 1