What movie are you watching?

Forge

12 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Count me in the group of being really underwhelmed by Chinatown.  Same with The French Connection.  I love Gene Hackman, I just don't get it with that movie and the love it gets.

Unrelated....

Recently rewatched The Fast and the Furious while I was building something for one of my sons, it's a good "have on in the background" type of movie.  The story holds up, but man are there some terrible lines of dialogue in that movie.  Still fun and at least somewhat grounded before the franchise went off the rails stupid.

I was slightly underwhelmed by The French Connection.

While Chinatown wasn't "exciting" I thought there was a lot of good stuff in there. 

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Count me in the group of being really underwhelmed by Chinatown.  Same with The French Connection.  I love Gene Hackman, I just don't get it with that movie and the love it gets.

Unrelated....

Recently rewatched The Fast and the Furious while I was building something for one of my sons, it's a good "have on in the background" type of movie.  The story holds up, but man are there some terrible lines of dialogue in that movie.  Still fun and at least somewhat grounded before the franchise went off the rails stupid.

I agree, The French Connection is pretty lame as well.

Mississippi Burning is Gene Hackman's best crime drama he was ever in no question about it.  I would say Enemy of the State is better than Chinatown and The French Connection as well and I do not love Enemy of the State.  Night Moves which is cheesy at times still has better parts than Chinatown in my book in regards to Gene Hackman.  

The Pelican Brief and Devil in a Blue Dress are two very underrated detective films, at least The Pelican Brief they have shown a ton on TV recently which it totally deserves...  PS random comment, why basic cable has not made a horror movie channel I have no idea, all horror movies all the time good and bad, it would get a lot of views I would say.  

Edited by Ozzy

10 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I was slightly underwhelmed by The French Connection.

While Chinatown wasn't "exciting" I thought there was a lot of good stuff in there. 

You want to watch a super underrated detective film, you watch Wind River....Jeremy Renner is basass

Hot take: 

Nick Stahl was the best John Connor (I may be biased because I prefer the story telling of that time of John Connor's life as being the most interesting time to tell a story about John Connor). 

But I thought he did a really solid job (within the confines of what he was given in the movie) of making that character his own and selling me on the mental struggle. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's the 3rd best, I agree. Maybe not a mile though.

T2

Terminator

Salvation

Rise of the Machines

Dark Fate

Genysis

I think this is a the right order. I may have Salvation and Rise closer to one another just because I'm a sucker for the latter. 

Also, I thought the tv show was quite good for network tv. 

• Like 1

The beginning of T2 from the beginning to right after they escape with sarah connor is a perfect movie, and then definitely gets bogged down for about 30 minutes and comes to a screeching halt. It does pick up again, but that first stretch is flawless with its action, humor, and horror elements

Also, linda hamilton should have won Best Actress oscar over jodie foster

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 3:52 PM, THE DUKE said:

p10380018_p_v8_ab.jpg

The draft mechanics of this movie are laughably bad, but as a movie I enjoyed the hell out of this.  I could suspend disbelief enough to just enjoy the movie and have a good time.

Did you know that Tom Brady was the 199th pick?    I just wanted her to shut up so much..

I agree though... it's not great, but I didn't totally hate it... 

On 8/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, Ray Reed said:

Watched The Fugitive for the first time in years on a flight the other day and despite some 90s cheese elements it held up for me

90s chesse?  What parts of The Fugitive had 90s cheese outside of that fat guy saying some stupid line about where Richard was hiding out at then taking a bite of that sandwich, then cut scene....  The Fugitive to me does not have much 90s cheese at all in it, not compared to other films.

5 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Hoop Dreams isn’t that good either 

Hoop Dreams is outstanding considering the age of the film and it was a true story that was flat outstanding and still holds true today it almost everything that was discussed!  That is an amazing film and to me is easily the best documentary made all time. 

Free Solo, A Man Named Pearl and My Octopus Teacher are the next but Hoop Dreams for the true meaning has it beat. 

Just watched Rabbit Hole again, outstanding film!   Still have "The Thing' on my Netflix queue before they shut it down forever, not sure I will make watching that again....haha