What movie are you watching?

Forge

10 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

In what way is Dunkirk bad? Genuinely curious. I thought it was great.

Yeah Dunkirk was not bad at all, visually it was very good and I would say Dunkirk is better than All Quiet on the Western front and easily is better than The Thin Red Line which I did not think was awful.  

Speaking of good war films, Platoon is awesome and this scene is easily one of the most dramatically intense of all time.  

The Flash wasn't anything special.  The multiverse thing has already been done, and much better in Spider-Man: No Way Home.  Thew whole 'going back in time to save a loved one from being murdered but by doing so there's a huge threat to destroy the world'  plot has been done before.  I know that because an idea has been done before, it can be done well again.  Seeing Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman is the highlight of this movie.  Growing up watching his Batman  movies had some nostalgia for me.  And it was interesting how the Flash and Batman end up fighting a Superman villain(although he's only in a few scenes and not memorable)  The Flash is just something to watch.  6/10

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah Dunkirk was not bad at all, visually it was very good and I would say Dunkirk is better than All Quiet on the Western front and easily is better than The Thin Red Line which I did not think was awful.  

Speaking of good war films, Platoon is awesome and this scene is easily one of the most dramatically intense of all time.  

I differ slightly. 

All Quiet on the Western Front was great because of what it was able to portray so accurately with mediocre actors in it. Young patriotic men volunteering to fight for their country just finding out how brutal war is the effect it has on all those involved. Not to mention there is barely anything out there of note for WWI.

Blue-Beetle-Jaime.jpg?quality=50&strip=a

It was a national $4 movie day for participating theaters, of which my local Cinemark was one, so took the family to see Blue Beetle.  Very up and down. It was enjoyable, but it feels like they lost the thread of what they wanted to do and devolved into a very generic super hero origin movie after a promising start.  One dimensional villains didn't help, and while I was ready for a heavy helping of suspending belief, Jaime's family being able to do pretty much anything that was required with tech/weapons instantly did feel a little too far.  The strength of the movie was the father/son relationship and the drama that surrounded it.  Less zany family and more emotional connection would have gone a long way.  Home run casting with Xolo Maridueña, I do think he was the best part of the movie, but there was a lot wrong done with this movie as well.  Despite it's flaws, I did have fun with this and would at least be interested in a sequel if they cleaned up the narrative.

B-

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

90s chesse?  What parts of The Fugitive had 90s cheese outside of that fat guy saying some stupid line about where Richard was hiding out at then taking a bite of that sandwich, then cut scene....  The Fugitive to me does not have much 90s cheese at all in it, not compared to other films.

Hoop Dreams is outstanding considering the age of the film and it was a true story that was flat outstanding and still holds true today it almost everything that was discussed!  That is an amazing film and to me is easily the best documentary made all time. 

Free Solo, A Man Named Pearl and My Octopus Teacher are the next but Hoop Dreams for the true meaning has it beat. 

Just watched Rabbit Hole again, outstanding film!   Still have "The Thing' on my Netflix queue before they shut it down forever, not sure I will make watching that again....haha

I had hoop dreams confused with above the rim 

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Coming To America:  one of the top 15 comedies made all time, no doubt about it!

AdvancedPolishedGodwit-size_restricted.g

absolutely.. add Harlem Knights to that top 15.. I have watched both of them so many times and still laugh every time... Eddie was king then

On 8/27/2023 at 8:30 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

An extreme side of little/no dialog. Great cinematography I will admit. It was boring. 

The lack of dialogue never bothered me, but I get it.

I haven’t seen The Thin Red Line. I’m not a big war movie guy, so after seeing Saving Private Ryan around that time, I never felt the urge to watch that one. I just watched Dunkirk recently after having very little interest in it when it first came out.