What movie are you watching?

Forge

I loved the kingdom of the planet of the apes the visuals are the best ones in the series imo, the story is very good for the first one in the new trilogy.  Honestly, I didn't see it in theaters because I was so disappointed in war of the planet of the apes. That was a mistake 4/5 for me.

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It's a fun, fine movie. It falls into a category of movie though for me I call "You might as well just watch ****** again". If you're going to put on a fun, easily watchable crime movie, might as well just watch the best one ever made again.

Oh c'mon. This forum has been around forever now and we are still censoring the name of one of the greatest movies ever made. I'm talking about the Guy Ritchie movie from 2000 starring Jason Statham and Brad Pitt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Oh c'mon. This forum has been around forever now and we are still censoring the name of one of the greatest movies ever made. I'm talking about the Guy Ritchie movie from 2000 starring Jason Statham and Brad Pitt.

B*tches?

I put on That Thing You Do! the other night. It's a classic movie to me. The star is Adam Schlesinger (RIP), who wrote and performed one of the best, most fitting original songs for a movie of all-time. Great movie.

I put on Palm Springs for a re-watch last night with the wife. That is such a good movie. It is very funny, super fresh in its take on relationships, and very adult in its approach to emotions. All that, and it is wrapped up in a science fiction plot. Also love that it features Conner O'Malley. He has some of the best little moments in the film. Another great movie. Tight 90 minutes, very funny, great performances, easy watch, and the perfect bit touching.

• Like 1

Oh I forgot to post I did go and see Maxxxine the day it came out had a free ticket. I loved the 80s vibes, extremely well shot, pays homage to Giallo horror which I didn't know about until I saw it, Kevin Bacon is also awesome in it. My negative is there was probably one too many sub plots that took away from the other things And the final reveal is very predictable.  

It's a 7 to  7.5/10  for me 

MV5BMTM3NDU1MTc5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM4

Body of Lies was better than what I was expecting since most everything I ever heard about this movie crapped all over it, but I thought it worked.  Was a little chaotic towards the start, but about half way through the puzzle pieces started matching up and it both kept me guessing and worked once we got there in the end.  It had a few issues in terms development, the biggest being I wish we got a little more info on Crowe's character, but he, Dicaprio, and Mark Strong were all very good.

B

• Like 1

I really enjoyed longlegs I will say a couple of things about it though to give context. If you expect a horror movie and the scariest movie of the decade you're going to be really disappointed wasn't really scary at all. What I would expect is a good 90s style serial killer movie that's unsettling, has a great atmosphere, tone, and is eerie. I predicted most of the twists and turns 30 to 40 min into the movie and it was still satisfying.  The build up is better than the payoff and Nic Cages performance is great never saw him in a role like that. 4.25/5.

Watched this in full again, granted it is a little long and about 30 minutes to an hour could easily be cut out of it.  But visually that movie is really something and the overall story is so cool.  The only thing keeping it from being considered and all time classic of any genre is one the length of the film and the very odd sound editing, which at times can be right on but the voice audio can be strange and harmonica honestly does not sound like a harmonica always.  Very cool camera work in the film and the intro to the movie is arguably one of the best introductions in film history.  Those first 10-15 minutes are lights out awesome and barely a word is said.  

Also watched Old Henry recently, super cool film and Stephen Dorff was great casting, he is super bad to the bone in this one.  For Tim Blake Nelson easily the best film role he has ever been in.  Easily top 10 Western all time.

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Watched this in full again, granted it is a little long and about 30 minutes to an hour could easily be cut out of it.  But visually that movie is really something and the overall story is so cool.  The only thing keeping it from being considered and all time classic of any genre is one the length of the film and the very odd sound editing, which at times can be right on but the voice audio can be strange and harmonica honestly does not sound like a harmonica always.  Very cool camera work in the film and the intro to the movie is arguably one of the best introductions in film history.  Those first 10-15 minutes are lights out awesome and barely a word is said.  

Also watched Old Henry recently, super cool film and Stephen Dorff was great casting, he is super bad to the bone in this one.  For Tim Blake Nelson easily the best film role he has ever been in.  Easily top 10 Western all time.

Old Henry is great. It’s not easily top 10 imo though. That kid was horrible. 

I enjoyed Longlegs, but anyone expecting it to be as scary as it was hyped up to be might be disappointed.  I don't know how to feel about Nicholas Cage's character either.  At times it felt weird for the sake of being weird.  

To be fair it did take a second viewing for me to really appreciate Midsommar and Hereditary (something about these movies make for better viewing at home than in theater), but I don't see that happening with this movie.

13 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Old Henry is great. It’s not easily top 10 imo though. That kid was horrible. 

Maybe but honestly there are not a ton of great Westerns, and I think Old Henry easily makes it top 10 in terms of quality films.  There are a lot of older Westerns that are so cheesy it kind of takes them out of the running.  For sure Old Henry is really solid considering it was made in 2021 which is not long ago at all.  

That kid sure was not great but he was supposed to be not great and kind of a dork type character I feel, sheepish, shy, defiant etc.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but honestly there are not a ton of great Westerns, and I think Old Henry easily makes it top 10 in terms of quality films.  There are a lot of older Westerns that are so cheesy it kind of takes them out of the running.  For sure Old Henry is really solid considering it was made in 2021 which is not long ago at all.  

That kid sure was not great but he was supposed to be not great and kind of a dork type character I feel, sheepish, shy, defiant etc.

There isn’t. But top 10 is littered with classics that added something to the story of the west and have held up in one way or another for decades. Movies like Shane, High Noon, some of the spaghetti westerns, I’d argue the shootist, Unforgiven, the proposition, a few of the Randolph Scott westerns, some say the Searchers, John Wayne’s Calvary westerns, 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit, maybe McCabe and Mrs miller, and others like Josey Wales and the wild bunch, the Kevin Costner one that I always forget the name of, Liberty Valance etc.  Then there’s those modern westerns like ncfom and hell or high water types that should not be ignored. I’d just say it’s a solid top 20-25 western but not top 10. Definitely not ‘easily’ top 10. Now if Old Henry nailed that kid’s role I could see top 10. He just drops it a letter grade or so for me. Couldn’t stand him. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike