What movie are you watching?

Forge

42 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

movies-the-equalizer-superJumbo.jpg

The Equalizer has one of the better bad *** lines in recent memory.  "He's not asking for help, he's asking for permission".  Haven't seen this for a while but remembered liking it.  Pretty sure I've seen the second, but know I haven't seen the third.  Will probably go through the next couple.

the third I didn't care for the bad guy and literally everything happens off screen other than that it's solid. 

Edited by thebestever6

12 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I forgot to add Mandy, robocop, starship troopers, and Bone Tomhawk to my favorite movies list

I haven't seen Mandy but the others are all great.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:19 PM, Malfatron said:

I recently rewatched freddy got fingered and while good still, it definitely isnt in my top 20 anymore. 

Heres my current top 20

1 Return of The Living Dead

2. Burn After Reading

3. seven psychopaths

4. The Toxic Avenger

5 cannibal: the musical

6  in bruges

7. vampire kiss

8 cabin in the woods

9 the menu

10 one cut of the dead

11 turbo kid

12 better off dead

13 tremors

14. wet hot american summer

15 fargo

16 inglourious basterds

17  kill bill 1/2

18 the world's end

19 Terminator 2

20. Youre Next

So is this top 20 in a genre or overall?  So basically you really really like dark humor movies that may or may not have a lot of action or "horror" elements in them.

Where is Dr. Strangelove if you like "Dark comedies" as it seems...    Then again not all of them are real comedies of course just humorous at times, Burn After Ready is no question a comedy though in my book, same with The World's End.

I cannot really grasp how Return of the Living Dead is better than the The Evil Dead original which was amazing.  The Evil Dead in every way is a better film and was made well before Return of the Living Dead which to me was too cheesy to be all that scary compared to The Evil Dead.  Unless cheesy movies that are controversial is what you are going for.

At least you do not have Parasite on your list, ehhh  Surprised Ready or Not is not in your list though.  The Killing of a Sacred Deer, where is that on such a list, I absolutely love that film, really quite unique and outstanding antagonist.  Also where is The Gift which is a pretty dark movie but clearly not a comedy.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So is this top 20 in a genre or overall?  So basically you really really like dark humor movies that may or may not have a lot of action or "horror" elements in them.

Yes, overall.

But i keep missing movies and forgetting them so its a WIP

Dr. Strangelove i didnt watch it. Maybe i should but movies that old i usually dont jibe with

Return of the Living Dead is a much better comedy with horror elements. Everyone plays it completely straight though and its endlessly rewatchable

I thought about putting Evil Dead 2 in the list but it just missed out.

Ready or Not was on my list at first, and i just bumped up Youre Next, but RoN is awesome too

Killing of a Sacred Deer should be there but i forgot about it.

Never saw the Gift

Edited by Malfatron

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm gonna watch Citizen X next I hear great things about it and it's based on a true story.

I liked it a lot. It’s a real, early made for hbo movie, but has a good cast and it’s true crime so… if you like that sort of stuff…you’ll probably like it well enough. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Yes, overall.

But i keep missing movies and forgetting them so its a WIP

Dr. Strangelove i didnt watch it. Maybe i should but movies that old i usually dont jibe with

Return of the Living Dead is a much better comedy with horror elements. Everyone plays it completely straight though and its endlessly rewatchable

I thought about putting Evil Dead 2 in the list but it just missed out.

Ready or Not was on my list at first, and i just bumped up Youre Next, but RoN is awesome too

Killing of a Sacred Deer should be there but i forgot about it.

Never saw the Gift

I might need to watch Return of The Living Dead again, but that could be hard to do unless I literally buy it.  The Evil Dead 2, I guess it depends on what one is looking for.  Going into it I thought it was going to be as great as The Evil Dead and just as scary, it was not because of the cheesy but if one wants the cheesy then it is great.

Going into it if I expect that cheesy more out of Return of the Living Dead maybe it will be better than.  Then again to me Planet Terror was not great but just ok, but then again From Dusk to Dawn was totally awesome and could have been better in my opinion if the Vampire part was not as cheesy with a few key scenes they honestly could have done without.

Just saw The Hunt 2020, was not super impressed, sure people seem to love free random killing movies with creative death scenes but it is almost too played now a days.  

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb:  That is well worth the watch and really made the genre in some ways of a dark comedy.  Granted compared to today it is not all that dark, does not have extreme torture and gore but to me it is more impressive without, those parts are always easy to do.  Fun film and Peter Sellers playing three different characters is historic and outstanding and he is great with them all not to mention George C Scott who is outstanding, even James Earl Jones is in it.  

49 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb:  That is well worth the watch and really made the genre in some ways of a dark comedy.  Granted compared to today it is not all that dark, does not have extreme torture and gore but to me it is more impressive without, those parts are always easy to do.  Fun film and Peter Sellers playing three different characters is historic and outstanding and he is great with them all not to mention George C Scott who is outstanding, even James Earl Jones is in it.  

Dr Strangelove is great.  It's Kubrick at the height of his powers imo, and agreed on the tremendous performances.  Sterling Hayden is also outstanding in this talking about his precious bodily fluids, lol.

On 7/22/2024 at 9:14 PM, Malfatron said:

I forgot to add Mandy, robocop, starship troopers, and Bone Tomhawk to my favorite movies list

You dirty ***** 

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Dr Strangelove is great.  It's Kubrick at the height of his powers imo, and agreed on the tremendous performances.  Sterling Hayden is also outstanding in this talking about his precious bodily fluids, lol.

Easily one of the best scenes, especially when the Doctor is basically beating up his own arm that keeps wanting to Heil Hitler...

Probably the best line in the movie!  Granted this is not really a dark comedy at all, it is just a great comedy and a really good movie.  

As for Kubrick, he clearly made some outstanding films.  The Shinning is an all time classic and one of the best horror films all time.  Eyes Wide Shut is outstanding, Full Metal Jacket is also very good and Dr. Strangelove is easily in that top four Kubrick films all time and as good as any even though I would say The Shinning was his best.

The Killing, Lolita, Paths of Glory, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon, A Clock Work Orange and Spartacus are just ok films nothing too amazing I would say.  A Space Odyssey is visually really cool but really pretty boring honestly throughout.  

On 7/23/2024 at 11:33 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Longlegs was okay.

I felt the same way after I saw it. Maybe it had been hyped up too much that I was expecting to be blown away, but I wasn't at all. I found myself laughing at Nic Cage's performance more than I felt any fear at all watching him. Just watched Oddity last night and I loved that one so much. A little slow out the gate but once it hits it hits HARD for the rest of the movie

Edited by TNKnick463