What are you reading? V1

Forge

7 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Will let you know when I read 1Q84.  I'd be interested in your theory.    Funny you should mention Bulgakov.  I'm just finishing The Master and Margarita.  It is a trip of a book.  Like The Twilight Zone meets Soviet Moscow.  

Just bought Master and margarita will start it like Friday I think 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 10:27 AM, The Gnat said:

Yeah, that is my biggest knock on the second book, it starts to become segmented, which kind of makes sense in terms of the narrator that it set-up for the book, but it does feel quite different from the first book and not as strong. It's been said that the second book kind of feels like a D&D campaign where you hop around from quest to quest.

Almost done now (re: Kingkiller Chronicles). Page 800 or so. Nothing's changed. It's amazing how different it is where he hops around from different segment to segment.

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Almost done now (re: Kingkiller Chronicles). Page 800 or so. Nothing's changed. It's amazing how different it is where he hops around from different segment to segment.

It's been a while since I read it but anything after he left the university in the second book I completely lost interest in. I guess the Ctheah chapter was cool but anything in Adem or dealing with the problems in that town he went to just dragged on so much for me. There's a lot of world building and history, and plenty to make theories from, but the "present" time events just fell flat for me. Still eagerly awaiting the third book, but it's like ASOIAF and I have my doubts we'll ever get it. 

The second half of the book can be summarized as 

Harry Potter takes a semester off to commit mass murder and credit card fraud

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Have the Stormlight Archives to get started on but can't bring myself to read, recently.

They are a bit of work to get through, they aren't short books that's for sure. If you like epic fantasy, I would say that they are definitely worth it.

Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari

Basically it's about how humans pretty much solved the three most pressing issues of our past (famine, plague, war) for the most part and focuses on our agenda in the future; looking from history, technological advances and changes in thinking. 

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Wrapping up the first Mistborn book. Brandon Sanderson is a really good writer.

I love the Mistborn series. The second one, Well of Ascension, is easily my favorite of his. 

Since you read Stormlight Archive, you should read Warbreaker too. I haven't finished Oathbringer yet but found it interesting that a character from another book is called out by name. I know he has his Cosmere thing but usually when characters show up in other books/series, they usually have different names. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1