What are you reading? V1

Forge

Just now, JohnChimpo said:

Thanks. My favorite author, James Ellroy, raves about him, so I wanted to give him a try. I loved the Tinker Tailor (etc) movie.

Great movie.  I haven't read the book yet, but the tone of the movie seems spot on to the other two of his that I have read.  Everything is gray, nothing is pleasant, and all the good guys are bad.

It's not happy reading, but the books are well written, well paced, and generally quick reads too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Picked up Fire & Blood also, decided to read that first before I dive into the first law trilogy. GOT is such a great universe, really wish Martin would finish the series.

Thats one series I really look forward to starting, That and the Expanse series as well

Almost halfway through A Game of Thrones. Ned Stark just relinquished his title as hand of the king and is making his way to dragon stone and then winterfell. Glad to see him go, kings landing is a dangerous place for all the starks. 

22 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Almost halfway through A Game of Thrones. Ned Stark just relinquished his title as hand of the king and is making his way to dragon stone and then winterfell. Glad to see him go, kings landing is a dangerous place for all the starks. 

Ned was my favorite character in the entire series and he only lasted the one season

40 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Ned was my favorite character in the entire series and he only lasted the one season

He’s the only character of unquestionable mettle and honor, aside from maybe Jon Snow. 

I loved the American Psycho movie, so I decided to try the audiobook. Not quite finished yet. The gore is way more extreme than could have been put in a movie while keeping the R rating. That’s not my thing, and some of it is really hard to stomach. However, there aren’t that many of those scenes, and most of the rest of it is comedy with some really funny parts. Overall, really good so far.

5 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

I loved the American Psycho movie, so I decided to try the audiobook. Not quite finished yet. The gore is way more extreme than could have been put in a movie while keeping the R rating. That’s not my thing, and some of it is really hard to stomach. However, there aren’t that many of those scenes, and most of the rest of it is comedy with some really funny parts. Overall, really good so far.

The first 40 pages were so painful to read I didn’t make it beyond that 

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

The first 40 pages were so painful to read I didn’t make it beyond that 

I don’t blame you. Not much happens for about another 100 pages. The detailed descriptions of what everyone’s wearing got old quick, but after the violence started, they became funny to me. Also, I always loved the, “Do you like Phil Collins?” line in the movie. The genesis of that comes way later in the book and was a nice curveball to throw being extremely violent and sexual scenes. He also went into great detail on Whitney Houston’s career after committing some truly heinous acts. That stuff is comic relief from the brutality. He also returns a ton of videotapes, and I laughed out loud when he told the detective that he had to go because he had a meeting with Cliff Huxtable (from the Cosby Show).

EDIT: He just gave a 17 plus minute monologue (more like a journal entry) about Huey Lewis and the News after going on a killing spree while being chased by the cops. Lol

Edited by JohnChimpo
  • Like 1

Well so far all my fav picks in A Game of Thrones have been busts: Viserys died, King Robert died from a boar and Ned Stark seems to be heading in that direction too. Sansa is the most insufferable person so far. 

• Like 1