What are you reading? V1

Forge

Finished Kafka on the Shore. Interesting book, for sure. And a lot better than what I had read of Murakami before.

Started Beasts of No Nation yesterday. Short, but looks like it will be very, very, very dark, and it’s written in pidgin.

On 5/22/2022 at 8:07 PM, mattyice0401 said:

No but I put it on my wishlist after reading about it let us know how it is

So I’m more than 2/3s of the way through. My only small complaint would be that it would’ve been nice to have some of the story be when they were kids that they keep mentioned throughout the story, but doesn’t take away from the book at all.

Focuses on 3 characters each with their own unique personalities. Story does adding mixtures of comedy, action, drama and mystery. Story takes a turn you don’t expect but bei a adult version of scooby soo basically it makes sense. I’ve been really enjoying it and would say to give it a read.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

So I’m more than 2/3s of the way through. My only small complaint would be that it would’ve been nice to have some of the story be when they were kids that they keep mentioned throughout the story, but doesn’t take away from the book at all.

Focuses on 3 characters each with their own unique personalities. Story does adding mixtures of comedy, action, drama and mystery. Story takes a turn you don’t expect but bei a adult version of scooby soo basically it makes sense. I’ve been really enjoying it and would say to give it a read.

Wonder if the author could come out with a prequel to the book where he or she talks about their childhood

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Xenos said:

My friend wrote a sci fi book and just got it released for the first time. So I’m reading that now. 

Link? I read a couple of fantasy books by a friend of mine from college last year.

Beasts of No Nation was dark as ****. Pretty good, but difficult to read both because of the subject matter and the narration.

I’m halfway through Underworld now. I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I do. The prologue is a slog, and 60 pages long, difficult, and boring (narrating a Giants-Dodgers game in the 50s) but after that, it gets way better. Just wish he’d trimmed that first section, and maybe a few others. Could be a much shorter book than it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Link? I read a couple of fantasy books by a friend of mine from college last year.

Beasts of No Nation was dark as ****. Pretty good, but difficult to read both because of the subject matter and the narration.

I’m halfway through Underworld now. I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I do. The prologue is a slog, and 60 pages long, difficult, and boring (narrating a Giants-Dodgers game in the 50s) but after that, it gets way better. Just wish he’d trimmed that first section, and maybe a few others. Could be a much shorter book than it is.

Link below. But so far, it reminds me of those Deus Ex games and Blade Runner. Everything is also fast paced and easy to read. I think I’m actually surprised by how easy it is compared to other books. I did remember him telling me that his editor wanted him to make it as accessible as possible before he goes nuts with the world building in hopefully later books.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0578296519/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1655007493&sr=8-1&fbclid=IwAR2rJGSrgXcYi3k-b39UswG1c3JG_Xkw5MgrMMF2mqVT2t5m_RSadKB4NfY

Edited by Xenos

Bought the last kingdom the first book in the saxon series by Bernard Cornwell Look forward to this series as I really enjoyed the show can only imagine how much better the books are

Have been trying to get back into reading after taking like a 6-9 month hiatus form it and found out reading a book about the history of the beginnings of england wasnt exactly the best book to start out with I do look forward ot this read but I need something easier to get back into it again

Just finished reading - A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. It’s free on Prime, so I said why not. 

Wow! It was enjoyable and thrilling. Interested to see if they would turn this into a movie because I think they easily could. Pretty good twist, especially the ending.