What are you reading? V1

Forge

3 hours ago, Squanchy said:

I enjoyed the witcher stand-alone books as well.  I enjoy most sci fi and fantasy.  I really love the fall of reach by Eric Nylund so I tried tried his “signal” series.  I really couldn’t get into it for some reason.  

The Name of the Wind series if you're okay with the 3rd book possibly never coming out.

Dark Matter - Blake Crouch

Red Rising series - a little Dune a little Hunger Games

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

The Name of the Wind series if you're okay with the 3rd book possibly never coming out.

Dark Matter - Blake Crouch

Red Rising series - a little Dune a little Hunger Games

I’m not too into YA if they’re like that.  But it’s definitely something to put on my radar next.  

1 minute ago, Squanchy said:

I’m not too into YA if they’re like that.  But it’s definitely something to put on my radar next.  

Nah, I wouldn't call any of them overly YA even if they involve teenagers. Does that make sense? I could be wrong, but I wouldn't exactly group them in that way. 

Darm Matter definitely not YA. Just SciFi time travel stuff.

I quite liked the First Law trilogy. It was pretty grim through most of it, but it was all well written. #TeamGlokta for life. I didn't love Red Rising as much. Darrow is just too perfect and things fall in place perfectly for him too often. 

My wife is trying to convince me to read the Throne of Glass or A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas. 

15 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Recommendation on which of his books to start with?

I started with The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, which seems like a good one.  Just wrapped up Call for the Dead, which is also good.  I'm just gonna go ahead and read the other Smiley novels (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, etc.).  Either of the two I've read seems like a good place to start.  Call for the Dead is the first chronologically and introduces characters that are major in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, but reading it first didn't spoil anything for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I started with The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, which seems like a good one.  Just wrapped up Call for the Dead, which is also good.  I'm just gonna go ahead and read the other Smiley novels (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, etc.).  Either of the two I've read seems like a good place to start.  Call for the Dead is the first chronologically and introduces characters that are major in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, but reading it first didn't spoil anything for me.

Thanks. My favorite author, James Ellroy, raves about him, so I wanted to give him a try. I loved the Tinker Tailor (etc) movie.