What are you reading? V1

Forge

The Red Wedding was the most startling part of the show for me I think. But reading it was even worse even though I obviously know what happens. Experiencing it through Catelyn’s perspective after getting to know her and Robb better in the books was roughhhh. I’m chapters beyond it now but I’m still reeling. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

The Red Wedding was the most startling part of the show for me I think. But reading it was even worse even though I obviously know what happens. Experiencing it through Catelyn’s perspective after getting to know her and Robb better in the books was roughhhh. I’m chapters beyond it now but I’m still reeling. 

Red Wedding in the show is what started me to read the books.

So is pet sementary worth the read? Of kings books so far I’ve read the shinning, IT, salems lot. 

1 minute ago, Fresh Prince said:

So is pet sementary worth the read? Of kings books so far I’ve read the shinning, IT, salems lot. 

It was pretty good. I read it quite a while ago. The shinin’ book is infinitely better than the **** soulless movie. I thought salems lot missed the mark. It is a classic but it has the incoherent rambling I mentioned. 

On 10/4/2022 at 3:43 PM, Daniel said:

Cormac McCarthy is probably my favorite writer.

Blood Meridian is the quintessential American novel imo.  Western expansion and genocide, a riff on the western genre, and strong literary ties to Paradise Lost (England's national epic).  The Judge, imo, is a straight 1 for 1 insert of Milton's Lucifer.

BM definitely operates best though, as a precursor to the Border Trilogy, with No Country as an epilogue.

Also would highly, highly recommend the entire Border trilogy to anyone that likes westerns.  All the Pretty Horses is a classical romantic western put through a modern realist writer.  The Crossing is a great deconstruction of the genre.  And Cities of the Plain combines and contrasts those two in a really, really thematically bleak way, but it's my favorite one.

Crossing does require a working knowledge of really archaic Spanish to get through without some translation material though, which is pretty annoying.

Tommorrow im going to Barnes and Noble just to go right for the new one: The Passenger

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:09 PM, Ty21 said:

I read the book before the shows but I vaguely heard of The Red Wedding through osmosis but i thought at this point in the book, it  was talking about Joeffreys upcoming wedding. Then they mentioned that the wedding musicians were playing badly and im like oh crap its this one

Edited by Malfatron

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

I read the book before the shows but I vaguely heard of The Red Wedding through osmosis but i thought at this point in the book, it  was talking about Joeffreys upcoming wedding. Then they mentioned that the wedding musicians were playing badly and im like oh crap its this one

Ultimate troll move that your guests just assume your musicians suck because you’re insulting your guests and not because the musicians are soldiers planted in to kill the guests 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Finished up all of Andrew K. Rowe's books. Though I see he just released a book 4 in Arcane Ascension so I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for dropping his titles in here @skywindO2

Dang you passed me. I just started Diamantine.

Did you also read How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps? I plan to read that one eventually. 

Edited by skywindO2

On 10/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, MikeT14 said:

Pet Sematary for Spooktober 

So I generally do an Audible book for my commute and read a book simultaneously.

Almost done with Pet Semetary. It's been okay. I haven't been blown away.

Reading Project Hail Mary. Outside of the ridiculous dialogue and humor at times, this book is fantastic. I love it. 

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

About to start Brothers Karamazov...anyone ever read?

Yeah.  It's pretty typical Dostoyevsky, if you've read any of his other stuff.  You'll figure out the "twist" real fast, but that's not really the point.  Good character work, but I think it's a little heavy handed with the themes.  A lot of Russian writers tend to be like that from the little Russian stuff I've read.

Worth a read, if for no other reason than to try out non-English literature, but I liked Crime and Punishment much more myself (similar criticisms though).  And I prefer Nabokov to any of the Russians I've read.  He was a ******* genius, and is much more fun to read.

• Like 1