Bears at Falcons 12:00 Fox

dll2000

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

It's their HC...he sucks.  Not sure how he hasn't been fired by now.  I wouldn't have even given him 1 more after that epic SB choke job and would have hired Shanahan instead.

As seen this past Sunday the players were coached to not jump on the onside kick and just watched as it went by them past 10 yards and the Cowboys player recovered.  That's on the coach big time.

He's also supposed to be some defensive guru and yet the Falcons D has continually sucked the past few years. 

You have to be careful of coordinators who ride a dynamic HC.   Like pulling staff off Belichick doesn’t mean you are getting Belichick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

As seen this past Sunday the players were coached to not jump on the onside kick and just watched as it went by them past 10 yards and the Cowboys player recovered.  That's on the coach big time.

Game is on the line.  They have no timeouts they cannot stop clock if you get the ball.  You do have timeouts.  

You see kicker come out with no tee.  You know it’s something weird you haven’t seen before.  

Call timeout and talk about it.  Go over rules.  What are you saving them for?!?!

People act like they can never use timeouts for any reason.   Use them when you need them.  Don’t waste them, but don’t act like they are precious coin that never be spent either.  

• Like 2

Boy I don't know... I have some concerns about the run defense but the Falcons are rushing at 3.4 yards per carry, can we stop them with 7? If so, I am God damned excited to watch Fuller/Johnson matchup against Jones/Ridley. THAT will be exciting football.

The Falcons are giving up 4.1 YPC defensively so I think this will be a nice litmus test for just how dedicated to the run Nagy truly is. They also are giving up 39 PPG, which is the worst in the NFL.

Does our offense take another step this week? 1 good quarter week 1, 2 good quarters week 2.... 3 good quarters week 3? Do the TEs get involved more this week? Does Mooney get some deep shots? Should be a fun one!

Bears - 24
FalCONS - 20

• Like 1

This is a game where I think anything can really happen. 

I can see is getting rolling offensively against a weak defense, then just hammering the ball in the run game. Particularly since they're potentially a very deflated team morale wise. 

The flip side is I can also see them coming out and scoring fast through the air, then Mitch and Nagy trying to air the ball out 50x or more to keep up and things getting super ugly fast. 

Mostly I think the big key here is we need at least 3 quarters of "good mitch" this game. The Falcons can score points, better than the Giants and Lions by far. We can't afford to cede thema full half of a football game where we do nothing offensively.

The concern is that Mitch tends to run hot or cold, not alternate back and forth between them... I think we need to be "hot" in the first quarter (to not force us to play from behind) and in the fourth quarter (to close it out), and I don't know that I've ever seen him go hot, then drop off, then go back hot to close a game out...nor do I have much faith that he can actually string 4 complete quarters of "good mitch" together in one sitting. 

I think Atlanta wins. 

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Riddle me this:

Matt Ryan is thought of as a near elite NFL qb.   He has best WRs in the game and has had them for years now.

Why doesn't he win more?

what are you saying, ryan isnt a near elite qb? id challenge you to go watch a handful of games from the last few years and say hes the reason we arent winning. its an absolute shame weve wasted his prime with a team that literally finds ways to lose.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You have to be careful of coordinators who ride a dynamic HC.   Like pulling staff off Belichick doesn’t mean you are getting Belichick.  

Yep.  Nagy comes from the Reid coaching tree and it is very successful.  To paraphrase a writer, on the subject, "if you want to win rings go under Belichick.  If you want to be a really good head coach go under Reid."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2018/11/15/andy-reid-coaching-tree-doug-pederson-sean-mcdermott-ron-rivera-matt-nagy-steve-spagnuolo-john-harbaugh

Half of the names alone is proof positive Andy knows how to develop future coaches:  Harbaugh, Rivera, Pederson, Spagnuolo, etc, etc.

• Like 1

Dexter Lawrence made a great play on Whitehair in Giants game to stuff some plays inside.  Dexter is a very, very large and strong human.   So you can’t be too mad about that.  I was a little upset that he got lazy on some technique.

If Ridley or a healthy Jones (in last game his leg was bothering him and he was mostly a decoy) make some plays on Fuller or Johnson we can’t be too mad.   They are great players.

Bears need to take advantage of an Atlanta defense with some flaws in it.   Their pass rush is depleted and their run defense is so so.

They have some great players on defense, but a number of okay to below average players as well.  

But we can’t be trading long drives and field goals for quick strike touchdowns.  Math doesn’t ever work on that.

I think this is the game that Jackson gets his INT and return.        

10 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Yep.  Nagy comes from the Reid coaching tree and it is very successful.  To paraphrase a writer, on the subject, "if you want to win rings go under Belichick.  If you want to be a really good head coach go under Reid."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2018/11/15/andy-reid-coaching-tree-doug-pederson-sean-mcdermott-ron-rivera-matt-nagy-steve-spagnuolo-john-harbaugh

Half of the names alone is proof positive Andy knows how to develop future coaches:  Harbaugh, Rivera, Pederson, Spagnuolo, etc, etc.

Belichick is all about him winning and teaches coaches their role in his system and generally limits them to that.  They are cogs in his machine.  But because they are highly specialized they are very effective and useful in their role.  

Reid teaches coaches to think and gives them real responsibility and decision making power.  

Also, many Belichick disciples fail at next stop because NE is a program.  Other franchises aren’t set up that way.  They plug in O and D coordinator and HC to manage and oversee them.  And change it around every couple years.

When you come in as a new HC and try to set up a bottom to top program you get push back.  You don’t have same cache to do what you want that Bill has earned in NE.   Even if owner is saying you have it.  Everyone knows you really don’t and if you lose early you are soon gone.   People will question your methods, stick to what they know and also rebel in small or large ways.   

• Like 1

Bears picked up a giant dude for NT off of Pittsburg, Daniel McCullers. 

I remember the kid coming out a few years ago... High run stopping grades from pff, but pretty limited on his pass rush, extremely hot /cold motor, and basically will never be involved in a play sideline to sideline, but he can eat space in the middle, which is what he's being brought in for and what Nichols has been struggling with. I'm not sure how much he will really be needed vs Atlanta, but for the season in general I think this is a nice low cost, low risk move. 

• Like 2

Falcons had 9 players not practicing including Julio Jones, both OTs, their starting LB who had game of his life in first quarter last week and Tak McKinnley.

Some people may want to revise their Bears are going to lose predictions.  Vegas still agrees with you at moment.

I imagine that line will be moving in other direction soon though.  

46 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I remember the kid coming out a few years ago... High run stopping grades from pff, but pretty limited on his pass rush, extremely hot /cold motor, and basically will never be involved in a play sideline to sideline, but he can eat space in the middle, which is what he's being brought in for and what Nichols has been struggling with. I'm not sure how much he will really be needed vs Atlanta, but for the season in general I think this is a nice low cost, low risk move. 

Roquan needs some block eaters to do his thing.   

If Bears rush 5 because of who they have someone should almost always be unblocked or at an extreme disadvantage.  

That being the case Bears should 'show' blitz in A gap almost every play.   

I think they should throw away the drop 8 that has come into vogue around the league.  They aren't built for it.

Play zone or press in long yardage and make them throw in 2 seconds instead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/dt-daniel-mccullers-practice-squad/

He's 6'7"/352lbs.  Think a 3" taller version of Hicks.  The guy is a giant, LOL.  He's a 6 year vet whose played in 73 games so he shouldn't need much time to acclimate.  Jenkins is nursing a thumb injury this week so McCullers could possibly see action this weekend.  Smart move to get more bulk in the middle of the DL.

Bears Daniel McCullers Steelers

This is gonna be a serious RPO game for the offense and let's hope they execute and gain confidence against a bad defense.

This win will depend on the defense stepping up , Quinn/Mack getting 2 sacks. Linebackers covering well.

Just that simple.... its sort of each take strengths against each other and each teams weakness against each other..... we'll see whose weakness can step up

• Like 1