Week 3 GDT: Raiders (2-0) @ Patriots (1-1)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Not sure but that's what it was recorded as in the official stats. Maybe because Richard technically never had control of the football? 

Some of the stats the NFL keeps are deceptive.  A pass should not count as a dropped ball and an incompletion.  That one drives me nuts.  It would be the same thing as an error in baseball leading to a pitcher losing a no-hitter.

All teams have injuries so no excuses. We were the better team in the first half but just didn't take care of business. Defense looked gassed in 2nd half and they looked and were the better team. Wheels fell off by 4th quarter and we've had that problem since Gruden has been back. Liked his aggressive nature last Monday and Gruden needs to keep changing it up. We're not good enough to overcome mistakes.

2 minutes ago, G said:

All teams have injuries so no excuses. We were the better team in the first half but just didn't take care of business. Defense looked gassed in 2nd half and they looked and were the better team. Wheels fell off by 4th quarter and we've had that problem since Gruden has been back. Liked his aggressive nature last Monday and Gruden needs to keep changing it up. We're not good enough to overcome mistakes.

Not having Ruggs and then losing Edwards early definitely hurt our passing game and allowed them to just key in on Waller the entire game. Our OL was pretty poor again today as well. We left so many points on the board today too with our missed chances in the red zone and our missed field goals. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 2:15 AM, Turnobili said:

A lot of challenges coming up this game... starting off with the logistics: short week, traveling all the way to Foxborough following an emotional win on Monday Night

On offense:

- Obviously, the offensive line issues are big. Haven't heard anything suggesting Trent Brown or Sam Young will be back. Incognito is out for at least 3 weeks, so we are looking at Simpson starting at LG with Good starting at RT. If either Brown or Young were able to man the RT spot, we could slide Good to LG and still be in decent shape. Contrary to popular belief on this sub, I don't think Simpson looked good on Monday. Thought he was getting bulldozed and walked back to the QB on a lot of his pass pro reps, and his run blocking assignments looked bad... on a couple of occasions he left Kolton or Hudson hanging by abandoning the double block and getting ahead of himself to venture out to the second level too early. He also whiffed more than once. You can bet your bottom dollar that BB is going to throw the kitchen sink at Simpson. Hopefully a week of reps will help him out.

- While it has to do with the above, want to talk specifically about the run game, which hasn't been that great for us. Yes, Jacobs has been playing very well individually, but we haven't been particularly productive/efficient on the ground beacuse the run blocking just hasn't been there. For every 2-3 good runs, we have a guy getting blown up behind the line for a 3 yard loss.

- I'm very curious as to what the passing game will look like against the Pats. We know BB specializes at taking your best players away from you, and obviously that emphasis will be on Darren Waller. I wonder if they are going to try to match him with Stephon Gilmore and see how that works. Gilmore would be somewhat wasted on Bryan Edwards, who hasn't really shined as a route-runner/separator yet, and I don't think it would be it would be a great use of Gilmore to have him chase Ruggs around deep. I think they'll try slapping Jonathan Jones on Ruggs (Jones ran sub 4.3). If Gilmore can somewhat contain Waller without forcing them to consistently double/bracket, that could spell a lot of trouble for our offense. Up to Carr, Edwards, Renfrow, Agholor, and Ruggs to make something happen. 

On defense:

- Cam is going to be a problem. We've had enough issues stopping the run this year, and Cam is just a different beast. He looks way healthier and more dynamic than I ever imagined he would this year. They key is obviously to do our best to contain Cam, and I do actually think this is an area where our DL might have success. While our edge rushers have not been able to get home this year (and that's a big problem going forward), having guys fly around the edge is NOT the way to deal with a guy like Cam, because running a long round arc just gives him room to escape the pocket. Instead, we need our edge guys, Ferrell/Crosby/Nassib to set the edge and CONTAIN. Do not allow Cam to get out of the pocket. While those guys trap Cam in the pocket, it is IMPERATIVE that we get pressure up the middle. So far, Hurst has looked a lot better than Collins. We need Hankins to push up the middle, and Hurst to try to penetrate. If Cam is bottled up by the edges containing him, that's how we win this. I worry that Arden Key is exactly the kind of guy to not be able to hold the edge and stay disciplined.

- The primary challenge to our corners is just to stay disciplined if Cam breaks contain. Their outside receivers are not particularly imposing, but when Cam buys them 4-5 seconds, our guys have to be ready for scramble drills. The only significant challenge is going to be Edelman in the slot. Joyner is going to be in the spotlight. I've been vocally upset with how we've used Joyner since acquiring him, but if there was a game for him to shut me up, it's this one. 

- Jonathan Abram has a chance to be the real difference maker this game. With the Patriots not being able to threaten deep very much, he is going to have to be dialed in to stop Cam on the read option, desiged QB draws, or just when he decides to step up/escape. I think this is exactly the type of game Abram is supposed to shine... let's see what he's got.

- Corey Littleton should be busy as well, not just when chasing down Newton on potential read-options, but also following James White around, who I imagine will be active this week after the tragedy he had to deal with. He has always been a huge problem catching out of the backfield. While he's a step down overall from CMC and Kamara, he can still kill you.

- I'm also unsure of Kwiatkowski's availability, haven't heard anything that leads me to believe he's back... but with how run-heavy the Pats are, having him out there would be pretty big, as a sure tackler if Cam escapes up the middle, or just to generally stuff guys like Michel/Burkhead on run downs. Otherwise, I wonder if we see a lot more McMillan this week as opposed to Morrow.

Thats my long breakdown without a prediction.

flagged abram as the difference maker in this game... i was right for the wrong reasons

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Read somewhere Abram is hurt...

That’s why I was mad when we first drafted Abram, same thing with Joseph. Safety’s basically known for their hard hitting style primarily, usually are injured soooo often. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Abrams overall play though. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

That’s why I was mad when we first drafted Abram, same thing with Joseph. Safety’s basically known for their hard hitting style primarily, usually are injured soooo often. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Abrams overall play though. 

He got hurt running into equipment that shouldn’t have been that close to the field 

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

He got hurt running into equipment that shouldn’t have been that close to the field 

Yeah and what carried him into that? Over aggressiveness that most players wouldn’t have. 

I mean you can ignore that entirely if you want and just talk about him missing the entire season last year due to his style....

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah and what carried him into that? Over aggressiveness that most players wouldn’t have. 
I mean you can ignore that entirely if you want and just talk about him missing the entire season last year due to his style....

He has played in 4 games for us and has gotten hurt in 2. 

On 9/27/2020 at 5:51 PM, BayRaider said:

He’s in the red zone trying to prevent guys from scoring you can’t tip toe down there. I could see if you mention how he looks for the big hit, but safety’s need to play fast

On 9/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, BayRaider said:

This. the small knockout artist never Last imo. He needs to square up and deliver instead of diving at ankles with that dam shoulder hasn’t he learned yet from last year.  3 games and he already possibly severely injured. He’s not finishing the season. Then we cut Randall lol

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This. the small knockout artist never Last imo. He needs to square up and deliver instead of diving at ankles with that dam shoulder hasn’t he learned yet from last year.  3 games and he already possibly severely injured. He’s not finishing the season. Then we cut Randall lol

I mean Abram isn’t as small as Joseph but dude comes in like a missle lowering his head sometimes we could have a Shazier type injury