Falcons Post Game Thread

dll2000

15 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I was a little put off that they made Trubisky talk postgame. Usually it's only the QB who finishes the game, with the exception of a back up who comes in to kneel or something. I think it would be a kick in the balls to the fans and most importantly the players if Trubisky starts vs IND

Agreed.  

Having heard Foles talk now (or much of it) I am amazed at difference in his and Nagy’s interactions.  

In terms of actual game experience Foles and MT do not have much difference.  In terms of experience with Nagy MT is the senior.

But Nagy treated Foles like a colleague in speech.  He was granted autonomy at line of scrimmage.  

Nagy treats Mitch like you might a high school player, even at this point, 3 years in.

I think it would be a large mistake to assume offense is going to take off under Foles, though I obviously hope it does, but I think Nagy will feel a lot more comfortable working with Foles in long run.

I think Nagy was legitimately upset he had to bench Mitch.  I believe, reading between lines of statements and just knowing coaches and human nature,  his assistants were demanding Foles at halftime (Nagy said ‘they’ discussed it).   I think it was easier objective decision for them because they haven’t been with Mitch for 3 years.  

These are human beings (Nagy and Mitch) and they obviously like and care about each other.

• Like 1

Foles came in and played like he was expected to - make a few NFL throws, read the defense for some easy completions to get YAC and get the ball to ARob where he has the 50/50 chance. Once it worked out for us and once it was an INT. 

The 3rd down pass to Graham should have been intercepted, badly underthrew on down the left sideline to him on 3rd when he had a full step on his guy, the throw to Graham was too low and made Graham make the play. As a pro it was an expected catch for Graham, but he threw the previous throw really poorly too. 

The throw to Miller on 3rd down for a TD was beautiful. Pressure coming right up in his face and he dropped a fricken dime. Dude didn't even get to follow through on his throw. THAT is why he is a better option than Mitch. Neither is really accurate and Foles isn't half the athlete Tru is, but  Foles will take the easy plays and then still be able to throw more accurately 15+ yards downfield. When it comes to throwing with pressure in his face, Foles is hands down the better passer. 

I still don't expect a season completion percentage of more than 60-62% though. He will have those easy misses but hopefully his timing gets better with more reps. 

For others- 

Graham isn't a long term option but I REALLY hope Kmet is learning from him on those back-shoulder throws. His technique is perfect. He gets the guy on his right shoulder, steps across the guy with his right foot and then walls him off like a center is taught in basketball. Same as he did with Tru on their TD earlier in the season, and neither was thrown particularly on point. Both Graham and Kmet have big 6'6"+ and 260lb+ bodies to wall defenders off with. Kmet can make a hell of a career just by mastering that technique.  

Miller is a guy I don't want to extend much right now. He dropped another TD yesterday. He is every bit as erratic as Tru is. Mooney played about as many snaps as him I believe. He will overtake him in the next week or two unless Miller wakes the **** up.  

Daniels was damn good but had some lapses. He caused the QB to get hit when a LB can straight up the middle. He went left to the DT and Whitehair had a DT, so Daniels should have stepped down. But the man is finishing blocks off. Loved the last run of the game. They pulled him and Monty followed him as he threw one guy, then pushed another off Monty while he was fighting. He didn't know of Montgomery had broken free or not so he popped onto the guy to make sure he couldn't grab an ankle or anything. We lacked that physicality the last year or two. 

Ifedi is good. I hope we can re-sign him, but right now I just want to see him against a higher level DT. He's a mean guy too, he's finishing people like Daniels, and I LOVE seeing our OL getting up off the ground alongside the guy they blocked. It doesn't mean they were pancaked, but means they blocked through the whistle more often than not. 

Leno is a horrible run blocker. Between the fish-like flops when he tried to (usually unsuccessfully) cut block to not being able to cross his man's face, he is just terrible. But he is solid in pass pro. 

DT was around the ball more but was still bad. Got absorbed and walled off by blockers too easily and misread a few plays that led to big runs. He is the primary liability to this defense. I have no doubt that Bradham or Kendricks could come in and outplay him (assuming they are in decent shape). Woodyard could at least come in for a down or two of competent run defense. IDC about the morality of the team not liking him walk, I care about the product on the field. He is done IMO. 

Gipson made a splash play. Had some issues vs the run to, but in coverage I think he looked good. Didn't let anyone behind him. 

Fuller was really damn good again. He's been a top 10 CB this year without question to me. Came up hard on the run last week too. The first big play was not his fault, it was EJax letting him get behind him. Fuller was on trail tech, likely because Ridley carves up guys with the deep out. He runs it better than anyone in the league. But instead of running that he kept going up field and EJax was caught sitting on the deep out too. Good scouting by ATL's OC, bad gamble by us that time. 

Hicks and Mack are dominant. I love seeing them kill it but they are getting a LOT of reps. I want to see McCullers out there absorbing blocks (Smith and DT's replacement will thank Pagano) and letting Nichols get rest on early downs, maybe pulling Mack on some 1st downs for a run defender, then letting the NASCAR package pin their ears back. You can manage snaps while having either Mack or Hicks on the field, then getting Mack - Hicks - Nichols or RRH- Quinn all out there on 3rd down if it is 3rd and 5+. 

• Like 4

I think to assume Foles is going to light it up from here on out is a mistake.  

Atlanta is a bad defense forced to play their 2nd string which is really bad.   Come on.   Foles lit them up like most decent NFL offenses should have done.  

The fact that they were making us look bad for much of that game was humiliating.  Humiliating.  

Look - playing QB has a lot of variables to it.  You need everyone else to play well too and every QB misses throws.  Matt Ryan missed open throws in that game.   Aaron Rodgers missed open throws in his game.    But they make big throws too.  They make enough to make up for the misses.  MT doesn't make enough plays to make up for his misses.

You need time to develop in this league and QBs almost never get that time in Chicago which is a large reason we never have a good QB.  MT had that time.  It was fair.  He didn't do it. 

Go Foles.  

... here is thing too.  Foles isn't likely to survive the season.  He stands tall in pocket and takes big shots.  That is an injury waiting to happen.  MT will likely get another shot to demonstrate he deserves a career in this league.   I think he is done with the Bears though after this year unless he is willing to come in as a back up to Foles or a young player.

• Like 2

I think Nagy's biggest failing as a coach is his leaving underperforming guys in their positions too long.

I think Long was exhibit A.  Along with take your pick of whichever TEs before this season.  I get that maybe the back ups aren't better, but if they are doing something ... you have accountability.    It means something.

He should have made change to Foles at halftime.  His assistant coaches asked for it - I know that they did.  Nagy said 'they' discussed it.  'They' is his OC and QB coach telling [discussing]  him to make the change - I have very little doubt.    Very little.  

He waited until MT threw the 3rd quarter INT and made the hole that much bigger.   It didn't have to be THAT hard and miraculous.   Nagy made it that way by waiting until the INT.  

I think DT and Leno may be falling into these categories this season as well.   I haven't studied it because I have a full time job and kids and their extra curricular going on and I volunteer to lead youth group at church on Weds.  Its a lot of stuff.   But highlights I am seeing on Tape Never Lies are disturbing.   These guys live this stuff though.   They don't even go home.  They sleep at facility a lot.    They have no excuse.  

Do you think Belichick would let a guy just play like garbage week after week?  I watched Patriots game this weekend.  BTW, that guy really is best coach of all time.  People trying to say it is Newton.  It isn't Newton.  It's Belichick.    His personnel decisions aren't always best, but his game plans and coaching are second to none.   

I think Ifedi should have been a priority resigning before Cohen or Robinson.   I think signing him fast when you saw he was good in practice would have got you a bargain.   Now everyone can see and he is an UFA.  

I have a big trial on Friday, but time permitting I may break some stuff down this week and post it.

If tape never lies does a really good  job though I won't bother.  It would be duplicative work.   

I think I should focus on one player if I do it.   Maybe Leno or DT.  

Edited by dll2000
Insert Foles
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Nagy's biggest failing as a coach is his leaving underperforming guys in their positions too long.

I think Long was exhibit A.  Along with take your pick of whichever TEs before this season.  I get that maybe the back ups aren't better, but if they are doing something ... you have accountability.    It means something.

He should have made change to Foles at halftime.  His assistant coaches asked for it - I know that they did.  Nagy said 'they' discussed it.  'They' is his OC and QB coach telling [discussing]  him to make the change - I have very little doubt.    Very little.  

He waited until MT threw the 3rd quarter INT and made the hole that much bigger.   It didn't have to be THAT hard and miraculous.   Nagy made it that way by waiting until the INT.  

I think DT and Leno may be falling into these categories this season as well.   I haven't studied it because I have a full time job and kids and their extra curricular going on and I volunteer to lead youth group at church on Weds.  Its a lot of stuff.   But highlights I am seeing on Tape Never Lies are disturbing.   These guys live this stuff though.   They don't even go home.  They sleep at facility a lot.    They have no excuse.  

Do you think Belichick would let a guy just play like garbage week after week?  I watched Patriots game this weekend.  BTW, that guy really is best coach of all time.  People trying to say it is Newton.  It isn't Newton.  It's Belichick.    His personnel decisions aren't always best, but his game plans and coaching are second to none.   

I think Ifedi should have been a priority resigning before Cohen or Robinson.   I think signing him fast when you saw he was good in practice would have got you a bargain.   Now everyone can see and he is an UFA.  

I have a big trial on Friday, but time permitting I may break some stuff down this week and post it.

If tape never lies does a really good  job though I won't bother.  It would be duplicative work.   

I think I should focus on one player if I do it.   Maybe Leno or DT.  

In many cases he doesn't have better options.

#firepace

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

In many cases he doesn't have better options.

#firepace

You still send a message when you bench someone playing like hot garbage even if back up is ostensibly worse.  Almost all good coaches do it because it provides an edge and doesn't let guys gets comfortable or lackadaisical.   Especially when they are being paid.

Often you may surprise yourself that the guy you assume is worse actually isn't given the opportunity.  

I remember when Lou Holtz gave an anecdote about when he got job at ND.   He told QB, who had all these accolades and was returning starter, forgetting his name sorry, that now that Holtz was here he was going to cut the QBs interceptions in half (or whatever amount he said).

QB laughed and said that's great coach,  "How do we do it?"  Holtz said, "When or if you arrive at (X number of ints) this season I am going to bench you."  QB stopped laughing.

Then Holtz did it.  It didn't last long I don't think.  Before my time.   But he did it.  And his INTs went way down after that.  

Holtz was asked about motivation.  How do you motivate players?

He said, I don't motivate players.  If they aren't motivated, I replace them with someone who is. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You still send a message when you bench someone playing like hot garbage even if back up is ostensibly worse.  Almost all good coaches do it because it provides an edge and doesn't let guys gets comfortable or lackadaisical.   Especially when they are being paid.

Often you may surprise yourself that the guy you assume is worse actually isn't given the opportunity.  

I remember when Lou Holtz gave an anecdote about when he got job at ND.   He told QB, who had all these accolades and was returning starter, forgetting his name sorry, that now that Holtz was here he was going to cut the QBs interceptions in half (or whatever amount he said).

QB laughed and said that's great coach,  "How do we do it?"  Holtz said, "When or if you arrive at (X number of ints) this season I am going to bench you."  QB stopped laughing.

Then Holtz did it.  It didn't last long I don't think.  Before my time.   But he did it.  And his INTs went way down after that.  

Holtz was asked about motivation.  How do you motivate players?

He said, I don't motivate players.  If they aren't motivated, I replace them with someone who is. 

That does not happen that often in the NFL. Money talks, and big contracts are hard to bench.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Jimmy Graham has been playing relatively well. I don't see any reason to go away from him now. Just let Kmet develop a bit. 

I don't expect his role to surpass Graham's, but 2 targets and only 32% of the offensive snaps is concerning for me. I'd at least like to see him get more time on the field. Demetrius Harris is playing more snaps right now.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't expect his role to surpass Graham's, but 2 targets and only 32% of the offensive snaps is concerning for me. I'd at least like to see him get more time on the field. Demetrius Harris is playing more snaps right now.

I'd say 1/3 of the snaps ain't half bad for the #3 TE.  Jimmy is a better receiver, Harris is a better blocker.  Do you like putting worse players on the field?  Kmet will probably see his opportunities increase as the year goes on and injuries become a factor.  But keep in mind, rookie TEs just usually arent good.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

"He's not a hall of famer already so he's a bust drrrr"

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'd say 1/3 of the snaps ain't half bad for the #3 TE.  Jimmy is a better receiver, Harris is a better blocker.  Do you like putting worse players on the field?  Kmet will probably see his opportunities increase as the year goes on and injuries become a factor.  But keep in mind, rookie TEs just usually arent good.

I'd like to see him try his hand and sub out Holtz. Or move Harris over and plug Kmet in. Either way you upgrade one way or the other if Holtz can't do better. Or even as an occasional slot guy since Miller has been disappointing. At least he should be a plus run blocker compared to the WR group. 

To be fair I don't remember how Holtz played this week. If he did well then leave him alone. But he sucked the first two weeks.