Cam Newton tests positive for COVID; Patriots @ Chiefs postponed (Tuesday?)

Cheesehawk

Just an FYI about testing and incubation period for when you get a true positive vs a false negative. It’s going to take more time to see how far it spread for both teams.

https://www.npr.org/sections/latest-updates-trump-covid-19-results/2020/10/02/919731011/why-a-negative-coronavirus-test-doesnt-necessarily-mean-you-re-in-the-clear

This phase of infection — where there's a much higher quantity of virus in the nose and throat — is when the coronavirus is most likely to be picked up by a swab and detectable in a test, Graham says, "So people are far more likely to test positive further past exposure than from a nasal swab a couple of days after exposure." In other words, perhaps five days or more after the date of infection.

The incubation period varies by person and situation. "It can depend on the amount of virus they're exposed to, it can depend on their own health," says Graham. 

9 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Weird how having fundamentally unserious people in positions of authority refusing to take the virus seriously and having no plan other than hoping it just goes away on its own has now backfired. 

647,457 Americans died of heart disease in 2017.  

But I guess since it's not new and doesn't have that extra zing to it nobody bothered to make it the #1 news story of 2017.

3 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

But I guess since it's not new and doesn't have that extra zing to it nobody bothered to make it the #1 news story of 2017.

It's not a disease that spreads and can be quarantined. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Also, moving the game 2 days is such a half assed response. Actually, no it's more like quarter-assed. 

But because money NFL be like:

pcdC8Br.gif

They're likely waiting to see if more positive tests will occur (there will be) before enacting a more suitable solution like they did for Ten/Pit.

issue is, there's no easy way to reschedule this game.

7 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

I didn't realize heart disease was contagious. Also, fewer than 10% of Americans have had COVID-19(source) with over 200k dead. Imagine what that number looks like without social distancing, masks, etc. Sadly, I think we're going to get a glimpse this fall. But this isn't the thread for science talk.

Please keep this thread relevant to the game/NFL so it isn't needlessly shutdown like the NFL will be.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

For the record, my post was started before this post and it's football related.

you responded to the same post that made me say this reminder.

having said that, following the guidelines of this forum, I'd ask you too keep this football related. i don't agree completely with how webby wants the forum run but i do have to keep to his wishes (if you want to discuss forum policy, he's very open to discussing it via PM).

To be clear...

I think its fair game (and more or less, the point of the thread) to discuss how the NFL will have to react to this news, as well as when/if additional cases develop, and how it may influence the season as a whole. My best interpretation of Webby's rules however is that discussion of the virus itself is explicitly forbidden. Webby did  make a thread on this though... but it's been shut down for a few days. Will probably be opened again at some piont in This Aint Sports Talk.

But whether it's the way I'd do it or not, Webby's goal for this forum has always been pure discussion of football. It's certainly been a successful ideology to this point. So I'd ask that everyone make my job a bit easier to sticking to it. I know it's not easy because there's things going on around us way more important than football, but that can also make this forum a haven to an extent.

Thanks!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Piquel said:

It's not a disease that spreads and can be quarantined. 

True.  But its not like covid is incredibly lethal.  A 0.3% death rate with an average age of death above 80 is hardly worth shutting down society over.

Almost everyone who is not incredibly old or with a pre-existing condition is recovering from it.  

1 minute ago, VanS said:

True.  But its not like covid is incredibly lethal.  A 0.3% death rate with an average age of death above 80 is hardly worth shutting down society over.

Almost everyone who is not incredibly old or with a pre-existing condition is recovering from it.  

sighhhh locked

• Like 10