Cam Newton tests positive for COVID; Patriots @ Chiefs postponed (Tuesday?)

Cheesehawk

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

100% chance the season gets cancelled early this year.

Here's the thing though - so far, transmission isn't occurring by playing the games.     And that mirrors the experience in other sports.

It's all about how teams enforce and adhere to measures within their own groups.    I think it's highly likely, but the crazy part here is that it's all about the commitment teams & the NFL have to have local controls.  I get it's a LOT harder with 90 players and 30-40 staff over NBA/NHL and even MLB - but it's pretty clear local bubbles are the only shot for a full season (barring a Disney NBA approach, but that ship has sailed).

A pause and reboot with full local bubbles wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Here's the thing though - so far, transmission isn't occurring by playing the games.     And that mirrors the experience in other sports.

It's all about how teams enforce and adhere to measures within their own groups.    I think it's highly likely, but the crazy part here is that it's all about the commitment teams & the NFL have to have local controls.  I get it's a LOT harder with 90 players and 30-40 staff over NBA/NHL and even MLB - but it's pretty clear local bubbles are the only shot for a full season (barring a Disney NBA approach, but that ship has sailed).

A pause and reboot with full local bubbles wouldn't surprise me.

100% the best option if they want to have any kind of shot at finishing the season.

Just now, kingseanjohn said:

If they decide that players have to essentially isolate at hotels for the next 3-4 months, I think we'll see some players pushing for opt-outs again.

yeah...NFL should give players a week to decide. I wonder if we'll see meetings between the NFL and players union this week to come up with something

This is worrying. In retrospect it would've been safer to have a truncated Pro Bowl-style season: teams of alternating AFC vs NFC players in double or triple-headers, tested on their way in and out, playing at the same stadium every week.

32 full teams, each with its own staff and practice squad, traveling to different venues throughout the country may be unsustainable during a pandemic.

7 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Only if it gets Gase canned, otherwise we are going to need to play these games and get blown out so Jets ownership may finally can the dude

On the flip, 3 weeks to prepare for a game and Gase still gets blown out? Sounds worse to me