Week 5 GDT - Miami Dolphins at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Forge said:

100%. 

That's why I hated all the super bowl, "shanny can't get it done" takes. Like seriously, go back and look at those plays. People were wide open. We didn't execute on the field...thats not on the coach lol

And to that I say, when watching our games this year, I see ALOT of plays left on the field due to poor QB play or bad O-Line. I think the lack of concepts you stated as your main gripe was due to no Deebo or Kittle for two games and a rookie WR as you're main receiving threat. It's hard for me to criticize Shanny's offensive attack (because I have at times this year too) when I know he's hasn't been working with a full deck. 

Now there's something to be said for the QBs and there lack of effectiveness outside the hashes. I think that has hampered Shanny somewhat ever since he's been here. But it obviously didn't hurt us last year. But we were also a much more effective rushing the ball, which allowed the PA to flourish. I think our inability to threaten defenses on the perimeter so far has clogged up the middle field and defenses have flooded bodies toward that area and have made our QBs either be a) on time and accurate with their passes to that part of the field or b) made our QBs make those out-breaking throws more consistently, which they haven't. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And to that I say, when watching our games this year, I see ALOT of plays left on the field due to poor QB play or bad O-Line. I think the lack of concepts you stated as your main gripe was due to no Deebo or Kittle for two games and a rookie WR as you're main receiving threat. It's hard for me to criticize Shanny's offensive attack (because I have at times this year too) when I know he's hasn't been working with a full deck. 

Oh no, I have major personnel questions about what he is doing  for sure. Its exacerbated by on field incompetence, but it's not all on that. The gameplans can be hit and miss sometimes..this isn't a new thing, and people have absolutely bemoaned them before. There have been plenty times where I think people come away from the game underwhelmed...yes, the on field performance make it worse. Nobody would deny that...I Just don't think that Shanny can be completely blameless, especially in some of the things I Have seen. Doesn't mean he's bad or I Have issues with Shanny...I just don't know that this is the best foot forward I have seen him make in his time here, that's all. It ebbs and flows. I have no idea how hamstrung he is by this abomination at this point in time. But I do think he's not having his best season ever, which isn't a bad thing. It happens. Results matter sometimes, unfortunately because you can make the same playcall 10 times and everyone in here will likely thinks its great if you get it, and sucks if you don't lol...but it could seriously never change. That's the nature of the beast. 

• Like 2

People far too often attribute criticism with the absolute worst meaning it can have. As though by criticizing, I'm saying he's bad or something along those lines. I think he's fair game to criticize and we all have before. People criticized his handling of the end of the Seattle game last year. I criticized his end of the half management in the second seattle game and everyone pretty much criticized him in the super bowl (some unwarranted). Especially at the end of the half. I've criticized his lack of aggressiveness sometimes (particularly kicking long field goals). This isn't new, but I'm also not saying he's the main problem or anything. I just don't think that this is the best I Have seen him is all.   

This is a bit of a team wide melt down that is made worse by injuries. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Forge said:

If you're Shanny, how much faith do you have in any of these guys at this point? Not just the QB play, I mean the team as a whole? He has to be pulling his hair out. The injuries have ravaged this team to a point where I don't know that he feels good about anything. 

He could at least take some solace in the fact he just doesn't have his guys. I guess Belichick at this point would just be looking to see who is still hungry out there. Hopefully that is the same with Kyle no matter how frustrated he might be. 

I don't know why I even bothered rewatching the game, but I wanted to watch the OL, and Trent Williams certainly didn't have a bad game by any means. There was that one weird play where he thought the OL was in a different protection and just let the DE go, but he was good as usual. The problem I think is that teams have blitzed so often in the first five games, the OL just isn't on the same page and are anticipating different protections. So many times this season there has been a free rusher and you have two guys just shrugging at each other. 

McGlinchey wasn't too bad either, really good in the run game. Did allow a late sack. 

Overall, they just can't stop blitzes to save their lives. A team brings five or more, this OL falls apart. The type of miscommunications this OL has is embarrassing.  

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know why I even bothered rewatching the game, but I wanted to watch the OL, and Trent Williams certainly didn't have a bad game by any means. There was that one weird play where he thought the OL was in a different protection and just let the DE go, but he was good as usual. The problem I think is that teams have blitzed so often in the first five games, the OL just isn't on the same page and are anticipating different protections. So many times this season there has been a free rusher and you have two guys just shrugging at each other. 

McGlinchey wasn't too bad either, really good in the run game. Did allow a late sack. 

Overall, they just can't stop blitzes to save their lives. A team brings five or more, this OL falls apart. The type of miscommunications this OL has is embarrassing.  

I haven't rewatched yet, kind of scared to. Glad to hear about williams though. That was concerning. I thought mcg looked bad when I paid attention to him, he got crushed in a bull rush, have up the sack. We also had a weird thing about missing blocks. It happened so many times, I don't know what the hell was going on.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I haven't rewatched yet, kind of scared to. Glad to hear about williams though. That was concerning. I thought mcg looked bad when I paid attention to him, he got crushed in a bull rush, have up the sack. We also had a weird thing about kissing blocks. It happened so many times, I don't know what the hell was going on.

They just have no cohesion at all and it just doesn't make sense to me. Just pay attention anytime a team blitzes and how late they are to react or just flat out don't know their assignment. Forget the lack of interior OL talent or McGlinchey's terrible play thus far, they just aren't on the same page. That's the most disheartening part of it all.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, rudyZ said:

In hindsight, I would have preferred Dontae.

Dontae played reasonably well against the Eagles. I mean, anything would be better than Allen, including my dog, but Eagles Dontae was an actual asset. 

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Dontae played reasonably well against the Eagles. I mean, anything would be better than Allen, including my dog, but Eagles Dontae was an actual asset. 

Until he allowed the late TD.

But Allen was different level bad. That was just horrendous. If Moseley plays that game then it likely changes everything and the game comes down to the 4th quarter. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But Allen was different level bad. That was just horrendous. If Moseley plays that game then it likely changes everything and the game comes down to the 4th quarter. 

I mean, Moseley allowed a similar late TD against the Rams and I thought he still played reasonably well. He had I think one more pass breakup than Johnson had against the Eagles? It’s difficult for me to be completely objective, because Dontae completely outstripped my expectations. I expected him to play like Allen.

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

I mean, Moseley allowed a similar late TD against the Rams and I thought he still played reasonably well. He had I think one more pass breakup than Johnson had against the Eagles? It’s difficult for me to be completely objective, because Dontae completely outstripped my expectations. I expected him to play like Allen.

Moseley did allow a late TD last night and it took away a bit from his performance. Johnson's was more crucial though as it gave up a lead. Moseley gave up one up 15 with three or so minutes to go. 

Dontae didn't play bad before that though.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Allen played worse than Verrett against the Steelers last year.