Week 5 GDT - Miami Dolphins at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

42 minutes ago, John232 said:

What do you mean check out? Like they’ll be mailing it in for the rest of the year? I can see that but I think they’re going to be coming back again next year. I don’t think I’m a homer, but I really think those two have done a lot to bring the talent level of this ream to elite levels.

I do think we’re at a pretty big series of cross roads. Most notably, QB. If we keep playing like this, we’re going to be a lock for top 10 and we’re going to push top 5. That sounds bad but this happens to teams sometimes. Is what it is. If we’re even half as injured as we currently are I think we’re sitting at 4-1

Easier said than done, but we should be at the very least grooming a rookie QB to sit under Jimmy G, if not to replace Jimmy G. There's also the option of a veteran replacement; i could see Cousins, Stafford, & Ryan on Shanny's radar. 

We'll also need to revamp the OL & Secondary. Get another pass rusher. Mostert, Kittle, Samuel, & Aiyuk are a good nucleus of weapons, but it never hurts to add another, no matter the position. And getting healthy will be huge. 

Also, the team is talented, but its weird. We've flamed out on so many valuable draft picks. Thomas, Foster, Pettis, Hurd, Bethard, Witherspoon, even Joe Williams. McGlinchey is just average.

But on the other hand, we're basically averaging an elite player per draft. How many teams can say that? Kittle 2017, Warner 2018, Bosa 2019. 2020 is TBD, I like the returns on Kinlaw & Aiyuk, but they are not close to elite yet. We also hit on some FA's like Mostert, Juice, Hyder, Kwon, Sherman, etc. And we do well in the later rounds/UDFA; besides Kittle, getting starters or key depth like Greenlaw, Bourne, Moseley, Dwelley, Jones, Givens, Wilson, Breida. Also got some key starters via trade like Jimmy G, Williams, Tomlinson, even Sanders. But it seems like Jimmy G/Williams/Tomlinson have all started to flame out.

Its a talented team, but it feels like we took the weirdest path to get there lol. Regardless, the injuries are proving too much to overcome. 

37 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Damn. This is the first time in about ten years I've seen Matt go off like that. Last time was the Mike Singletary era after a game. 

We've had worse games, but those were when we had a dumpster fire of a team. We're supposed to be championship calibre now, and today we were not. Also, it was the second time since the beginning of the 2019 season that we lost by more than 1 possession. The first was the SB which was still a close game. The previous 23 games, we were at least in it. Today was the first time in a while that we weren't. Every time we made an attempt at a comeback, Miami responded and shut out any hope pretty quickly.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Are you just joking around? Shanny and Lynch built a Super Bowl contending team from garbage and they really should have won it all things considered. Not sure how this team is expecting to compete with everyone on IR. 

Like three posts above yours I explained it. It was a joke comparing them to contract year players

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was joking about mm basically calling them out as opposed to the team after they just signed new deals. They aren't checking out. But shanny hasn't had a good year, and you can argue on whether the front office has. So its funny in that sense like a player having a huge year in their contract season and then never being good again

• Like 1

Even at 2-3, I'll anxious to see how the team responds the rest of the way. I still believe in the coaches and front office. The 49ers have just had some really bad breaks. Yeah they could have taken care of some issues entering the season, but even contingency plans fail. For now, and probably the rest of the year it's just a matter of changing the mindset as a fan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Even at 2-3, I'll anxious to see how the team responds the rest of the way. I still believe in the coaches and front office. The 49ers have just had some really bad breaks. Yeah they could have taken care of some issues entering the season, but even contingency plans fail. For now, and probably the rest of the year it's just a matter of changing the mindset as a fan. 

It's really difficult because of the injuries. I don't even take today as the team laying down or anything. They are just out gunned right now. Badly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Im ok with almost all the moves they made; replacing Staley/Buckner/Sanders with Williams/Kinlaw Aiyuk, re-signing Armstead & Ward, trading Breida/Goodwin, etc.Not getting an upgrade at RG was a fail though. I'd rather have Person than Compton or Brunskill tbh. And it looks like Tomlinson/McGlinchey have regressed. Maybe Williams too

I'm still torn on thinking we can make the playoffs as a 7 seed, go on a run, and steal the SB (like the 07/11 Giants, 2010 Packers, 2012 Ravens)... or whether we'd be better off with a high pick that can be used on a QB.

We need Sherm, Mosley, Williams, & Ford back desperately. We need Jimmy G to get healthy. That will help. But the DB's probably aren't back to full health for another 2-3 weeks, the backup QB's look hopeless, the OL looks hopeless, Bosa is already out, and who knows if/when Ford will come back 

Yeah, I think the moves we made this off-season were pretty top notch. Process has generally been pretty solid with the FO, far from perfect and the blind spots they’ve had I think are finally catching up a bit..but between injuries, an off-season from hell and a really talented division..just not our year by any stretch. 

Far more importantly, I think Kyle HAS to take a very long look at how he approaches certain things, philosophically, and really make some improvements. We can go into a huge post about this, as a forum, if we wanted too,. But I think he needs to step outside of his comfort zone with player archetypes, spending, situational calling, scheme (to some extent) and on some level humility, i know the last line is speculative but the Kirk Cousins and RB obsession has always been a bit concerning for me...

• Like 1

Love Whitner, but I hate seeing a take like this:

This is the same guy that apparently approached coaches after he got benched last year asking if he could see time on special teams so he could help the team? Didn't get a sense for anyone thus far that Spoon was in the doghouse. Follow up from elsewhere:

“With Allen struggling a little bit, we were gonna go with Webster,” Shanahan said. “That was the plan going in, but Ahkello went up to the defensive staff in the second quarter. Told them that he felt good, he was ready to go and that he wanted to go in for the challenge.”

When asked why the 49ers didn’t relieve Allen until their fourth defensive series, Shanahan pointed to the precariousness of Witherspoon’s health.

“We were trying to hold out, see how long we could go through with that,” Shanahan said. “When Ahkello came up to us on the sideline and said he wanted to go and wanted a shot, that gave us a little more confidence with his hamstring. He went in and was able to pull it off and get out of the game without tearing it.”

Seems like Whitner needs to relax. Crazy how everything starts to snowball when the L's come a knockin. Jed needs to stay away for better or worse I'll say that straight up. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Love Whitner, but I hate seeing a take like this:

This is the same guy that apparently approached coaches after he got benched last year asking if he could see time on special teams so he could help the team? Didn't get a sense for anyone thus far that Spoon was in the doghouse. Follow up from elsewhere:

Seems like Whitner needs to relax. Crazy how everything starts to snowball when the L's come a knockin. Jed needs to stay away for better or worse I'll say that straight up. 

I may be wrong .. but I would swear that whitner has always had that take on spoon. For a couple years now. I feel like there was another incident a couple of years ago where that was his take about spoon. Maybe someone else can confirm

3 hours ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I think the moves we made this off-season were pretty top notch. Process has generally been pretty solid with the FO, far from perfect and the blind spots they’ve had I think are finally catching up a bit..but between injuries, an off-season from hell and a really talented division..just not our year by any stretch. 

I think they were fine. The biggest issue was probably RG, and they are just going to have to wear that. Everyone knew that was a problem and knew what they did wasn't going to solve it. 

But they couldn't expect mcg to regress like this. When you compare the trade value if AA and buck, comparing the contracts, that move made sense, as hard as it was too say bye to buck. They couldn't count on injuries. 

The just questionable stuff to me was the guys they kept on the roster more so than the ones they did or didn't bring in lol. 

But I don't think they misfired anything much

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I may be wrong .. but I would swear that whitner has always had that take on spoon. For a couple years now. I feel like there was another incident a couple of years ago where that was his take about spoon. Maybe someone else can confirm

I think so well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I was joking about mm basically calling them out as opposed to the team after they just signed new deals. They aren't checking out. But shanny hasn't had a good year, and you can argue on whether the front office has. So its funny in that sense like a player having a huge year in their contract season and then never being good again

I think this very knee-jerk. 

EVERYONE was saying all summer how Lynch & Co 'won' the off-season. How we got Trent for pennies on the dollar in a draft day steal to replace Staley. How it was a great move trading DeFo and replacing him with essentially Kinlaw and Aiyuk. How we had one of the most talented rosters in football and one of the more brilliant minds in the game.

Of course there were moves you, I and others thought we should have made. But overall, we were pretty stacked heading into the season. 

Unfortunately we have been ravaged by injury. Injury to key personnel. Irreplaceable personnel if we're being honest. Its very unfortunate but its part of the game. I mean when you're second and third string options are all unavailable I mean what were fans expecting to happen? This isn't last year when a starter goes down and the back-up steps up. We're missing our top three CBs and one of the best niceklbacks in the league....all at the same time....with virtually no pass-rush. 

And as far as the coaching, granted there were questionable decisions yesterday that I thought were very....odd. But I cant say that Shanny is the culprit for our woes. I'm still seeing WRs running free and a scheme that has put players in position to succeed. What I'm also seeing is our QBs missing throws, WRs dropping passes, O-Lineman not on the same page and getting beat on simple stunts and blitz packages. Yes the buck stops with the HC so Shanny has to take the fall for how the team is playing. But c'mon...how many ppl expected Trent Williams to look this bad, or the offense line to just totally implode??

The offense looks out of sync. The defense can't get off the field becaue they're working with a skeleton crew, both upfront and in the secondary. I really think that's the bottom line at the moment. Yesterday was horrible to watch but the fanbase reaction to it is really baffling to me (not you in particular, just in general). I know its the Dolphins but they've played solid football all year, despite their record. I remember Walsh having some bad regular season losses too. And not that I'm saying Shanny is Walsh but its really about how you respond to those losses that really defines your team and coaches. I want to see how Shanny & Co. respond to the adversity.  It would also help if our CBs could get somewhat healthy. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I think they were fine. The biggest issue was probably RG, and they are just going to have to wear that. Everyone knew that was a problem and knew what they did wasn't going to solve it. 

But they couldn't expect mcg to regress like this. When you compare the trade value if AA and buck, comparing the contracts, that move made sense, as hard as it was too say bye to buck. They couldn't count on injuries. 

The just questionable stuff to me was the guys they kept on the roster more so than the ones they did or didn't bring in lol. 

But I don't think they misfired anything much

Yeah, agree on all of this. Right guard was really the one position we didn’t address that everyone expected to be addressed (besides a 5th round pick). Maybe corner? 

It’s unfortunate that Brunskill, McVitz and Skule didn’t get a full off-season because I think one of those guys could have slid into guard fine. But it’s just been an absolute train wreck.

Why did CB Brian Allen get the start and more to the point is why did it take so long to pull him from the game after four series?

“Just because of how down we were going into the game. We got him off of practice squad this week because of the injuries we had. [CB Ken] Webster was his backup. [CB] Ahkello [Witherspoon], he tried to go this week, but he was too tight to go throughout practice all week, but because of our low numbers, we still dressed him for emergency. So, we were trying to hold out, see how long we could go through with that and when Ahkello came up to us on the sidelines and said he wanted to go and wanted a shot, it gave us a little more confidence with his hamstring and he went in, was able to pull it off and get out of the game without tearing it. So, that was the decision on it.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/10/12/21512233/49ers-dolphins-shanahan-takeaways-allen-witherspoon-garoppolo

"Get out of the game without tearing it." Well damn, when you put it THAT way lol. 

Point blank, Allen shouldn't have been there over Webster. I don't get that move? I'm not even sure how good or how bad Webster is, but how do you start a guy that was just pulled up from the PS over someone that was dressing the last few weeks? This was one of the worst games I've ever seen from a corner. Kid you not, if Spoon never replaced him, Allen would have allowed 200+ yards IN THE FIRST HALF! He may go from being on the active roster to no team even putting him on the PS. 

So what are we going to do next week at QB? Like if Jimmy is throwing the ball that way in practice, you have to go with Beathard right? No way is the ankle going to heal magically in a week. He had absolutely NO drive at all on the ball and was throwing straight ducks. Beathard is terrible but at least he will be able to make some throws. Now, if Jimmy looks better in practice and gains more confidence in his ankle? Then that is different, but either way, this is certainly damn it time. 

Verrett had another good game and has played some really sound ball. Good to see, no clue how long he lasts out there but glad he didn't have to retire after his performance against the Steelers from last season.