2021 NFL Draft Thread

Alabama Pro Day on NFL Network at noon. I bet Mac Jones jumps several spots after this. Wish to heck he'd fall to us but ain't gonna happen. We'll have to move if we want him . 

All I hear is LEADER ! Great teammate and more athletic than given credit. 🥰

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Alabama Pro Day on NFL Network at noon. I bet Mac Jones jumps several spots after this. Wish to heck he'd fall to us but ain't gonna happen. We'll have to move if we want him . 

All I hear is LEADER ! Great teammate and more athletic than given credit. 🥰

Must say- so far he doesn't seem as smooth as Davis Mills on his pro day. Looks tight, nervous. He's not throwing to his guys . He will at the second Ala. pro day .

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Must say- so far he doesn't seem as smooth as Davis Mills on his pro day. Looks tight, nervous. He's not throwing to his guys . He will at the second Ala. pro day .

Davanta Smith!!! That’s the guy on that team we want. He’s special idc of me and him weigh the same thing. This guy with Terry and Samuel would be scary. No big guy but Simms and prior guys like AGG can fill the bigger body guys. But if teams shun Smith because his size we better be the team saying thank you!!!

28 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Davanta Smith!!! That’s the guy on that team we want. He’s special idc of me and him weigh the same thing. This guy with Terry and Samuel would be scary. No big guy but Simms and prior guys like AGG can fill the bigger body guys. But if teams shun Smith because his size we better be the team saying thank you!!!

I saw some Mock today where he was our pick. DEVONTA BTW- got get his name right when you turn in the draft card ! B|

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I saw some Mock today where he was our pick. DEVONTA BTW- got get his name right when you turn in the draft card ! B|

True!!! I’d be elated!!! I don’t think it’s likely. But I’d run that card in. Maybe we would have a smaller Corp but you tell me a team with three DB’s going to keep up with Smith and Terry the way they run routes. Then you have Samuel’s speed and AG and McKissic I love it. We might not have big guys outside but man that would be a nasty mix of guys that I can’t really think defensively wants to try to match up against. The only thing I’d worry about would be the run blocking on the edges but Terry and Samuel are actually plus blockers. Personally I want the OL or LB but there’s no way Smith isn’t the best player if he’s there. Because there’s no way he Parsons or Derrishaw would all be avalible. Those are the top 3 guy’s with a outside shot of being there. We will have a great option at a heck of a player. The worse thing this team could do is force a pick. They just need to go BPA because it will fit a spot we can really use

Was clued in to LB Jamin Davis from Kentucky. Really impressive on the film. He navigates traffic really well, better than both Bolton and Parsons I think, and he seems to get off blocks well too. It’s always tough for me to tell how well guys are actually reading plays, but he seems to be heading in the right direction most of the time. He has very good (though not ludicrous) range and seems like quite an athlete for 6’4. 

Will be interesting to see how his pro day goes, but assuming it’s not a train wreck, I think I’ve got him over Bolton at this point. And quite possibly over Collins and JOK as well, just from a positional value standpoint. Much easier to find OLBs in a 4-3 than a true MLB.

Barring an injury or scandal, if Devonta Smith gets to our pick, I’ll eat my hat. 

If he makes it to 9, I would have to have a very serious organizational discussion about whether to make the move. Not only do I absolutely love the guy, I absolutely hate the idea of NYG getting him to pair with Golladay. That would be a killer duo. I don’t know if I could go as high as 9 for a WR — but absolutely to 12 or 13, if he gets there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Barring an injury or scandal, if Devonta Smith gets to our pick, I’ll eat my hat. 

If he makes it to 9, I would have to have a very serious organizational discussion about whether to make the move. Not only do I absolutely love the guy, I absolutely hate the idea of NYG getting him to pair with Golladay. That would be a killer duo. I don’t know if I could go as high as 9 for a WR — but absolutely to 12 or 13, if he gets there. 

Weird stuff happens in the draft sometimes.  Who had Ruggs over Juedy and Lamb last year?

9 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

And Rondale Moore just measured at 5'7 not his listed 5'9 at his pro day which might push him down draft boards on day 2  too

8 hours ago, taylor made said:

Curtis Samuel signing looking even better

Kinda left out the part where he ran 4.29 (98th percentile) and jumped 42.5 (99th percentile) and benched 24 reps (99th percentile). 

He’s a better athlete than Curtis Samuel, which is remarkable, given that Samuel has largely gotten by in the NFL on his athleticism. Seeing as Moore was also the significantly better college receiver (not that Samuel really even was a receiver), I feel like it may be a bit premature to crown ourselves for opting to give Samuel $11M/year over drafting Moore. 

That said, with a pro day outcome like that, it’s kinda hard to imagine Moore lasting until the mid-late 2nd for us to take him, so I guess the point is taken in that respect. Even with the height (and more importantly, the hamstring), I just can’t see the league letting a guy that crazy explosive drop into the 50s. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Just wait, he’ll make it to our pick and we’ll take the guard from USC lol

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Weird stuff happens in the draft sometimes.  Who had Ruggs over Juedy and Lamb last year?

True, it does. But I will say that both Jeudy and Lamb were still gone by 19, even in that wacky scenario. 

I mean, look — if we get Devonta Smith at 19, I will happily devour the hat. It might take me a while, but I’d do it with glee. That would be a dream come true. Watching him and Terry run circles around DBs would be a sight to behold. I just think it’s (much) more likely he’s gone by 6 than there for us. But each one of these guys who mocks him dropping that far does keep the hope alive in my heart. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Just wait, he’ll make it to our pick and we’ll take the guard from USC lol

Have I ever told you the story of when I was at the draft in 2005, and the Redskins passed on my beloved receiver (who turned out to be the size of a guard) from USC? I was distraught. Despondent. Couldn’t imagine continuing to trudge this mortal coil even a day longer.

This would be similar. Except now I know how to evaluate receivers...I think 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Have I ever told you the story of when I was at the draft in 2005, and the Redskins passed on my beloved receiver (who turned out to be the size of a guard) from USC? I was distraught. Despondent. Couldn’t imagine continuing to trudge this mortal coil even a day longer.

This would be similar. Except now I know how to evaluate receivers...I think 😂

Id like to point out in that draft the Jags drafted a 6’6” 245 lb QB in the first round and played him at WR.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Kinda left out the part where he ran 4.29 (98th percentile) and jumped 42.5 (99th percentile) and benched 24 reps (99th percentile). 

He’s a better athlete than Curtis Samuel, which is remarkable, given that Samuel has largely gotten by in the NFL on his athleticism. Seeing as Moore was also the significantly better college receiver (not that Samuel really even was a receiver), I feel like it may be a bit premature to crown ourselves for opting to give Samuel $11M/year over drafting Moore. 

That said, with a pro day outcome like that, it’s kinda hard to imagine Moore lasting until the mid-late 2nd for us to take him, so I guess the point is taken in that respect. Even with the height (and more importantly, the hamstring), I just can’t see the league letting a guy that crazy explosive drop into the 50s. 

Definitely a unique prospect! Glad we are letting another team take the gamble!

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Id like to point out in that draft the Jags drafted a 6’6” 245 lb QB in the first round and played him at WR.

Imagine how different Jacksonville football history would be if instead of taking that big loping giraffe of a QB, they’d taken the actual QB from Cal who was plummeting down the board. 

That draft really kinda sucked, though. For lots of reasons, but the two biggest being (a) that the 2nd best player in the draft went to Dallas and (b) that the best player in the draft went one pick ahead of us, at the position we ended up drafting. Not that I had any good read on it (I would have taken Mike Williams and Marlin Jackson), but it was a bit of a whiff for Gibbs too. At least I wouldn’t have traded up for Jason Campbell. 

Interesting thing I just learned, the Broncos used some of the picks they got from us in the Campbell deal to put together the Jay Cutler-Javon Walker duo that had one semi-glorious year of success before Brandon Marshall emerged and Walker’s body finally disintegrated for good.

• Like 1