Week 6: Falcons (0-5) at VIKINGS (1-4)

swede700

18 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

The NFL is not a running league anymore.. 

Tell that to Stefanski and John Harbaugh.  Don't mistake the lack of so-called "workhorse backs" with the NFL not being a running league.  A lot of the best teams still do.  3 of the top 5 teams rushing the ball are 4-1 (Rams, Ravens, Browns), then the Patriots at 2-2 and the Vikings at 1-4.    

And in the end, just as I felt around here when the discussion was "The NFL is a 3-4 league now!", I'd rather be one of the best at something that is unique in today's NFL then be middle of the pack at what everyone else is doing...which I believe is exactly what would happen if they'd become a pass-first team. You know who that is...teams like the Bears and Raiders.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Tell that to Stefanski and John Harbaugh.  Don't mistake the lack of so-called "workhorse backs" with the NFL not being a running league.  A lot of the best teams still do.  3 of the top 5 teams rushing the ball are 4-1 (Rams, Ravens, Browns), then the Patriots at 2-2 and the Vikings at 1-4.    

And in the end, just as I felt around here when the discussion was "The NFL is a 3-4 league now!", I'd rather be one of the best at something that is unique in today's NFL then be middle of the pack at what everyone else is doing...which I believe is exactly what would happen if they'd become a pass-first team. You know who that is...teams like the Bears and Raiders.  

My issue with the Vikings, compared to teams like the Rams, Browns, Ravens, etc. is that we don’t use the pass as complimentary as the others. We are a run first team that uses the run to set up the pass. That’s it. Run, run, run, use play action to hit a big play. But we don’t really balance it out, ever, and use the pass to set up the run. This team does not utilize a quick passing game. We rarely see any plays designed to get the ball out quickly. We don’t utilize the middle of the field, almost all of the passes and routes run are outside of the numbers. You look at those other teams and they create mismatches with their tight ends and their running backs in the passing game. We don’t. 

The problem with the Vikings isn’t that they’re a run first team. The issue is that they are a run first team with an old school mentality. The Rams, the Ravens, the Browns, the 49ers, even the Packers this year all have a run first mentality. But their coaches have brought a new age approach with them. 

16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

"if you don't like it then leave"

nice...

I hear that from people all the time when I'm complaining about the state of the country right now.  LOL!  So, if you don't like some aspects of the Vikings, you certainly must hate the Vikings...don'tcha know?  😅  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

"if you don't like it then leave"

nice...

Then don't be a hater.

You didn't want to extend Cook at all. You complained right after the Vikings signed him. Dalvin Cook could run for 100 yards and you would complain he didn't catch a pass. 

He isn't Alvin Kamara right? He was injured last year. 

He isn't Austin Ekeler right? He's injured right now. 

He isn't McCaffrey right? He's injured right now.

Barkley...ditto

Now SOME posters are saying they regret the Vikings re-signed him despite his output this season? Why because he has to miss a game? NO it's because you don't like Dalvin Cook and the team philosophy. After next week he might still lead the lead in rushing, but we should have never re-signed him?

Truly I'm tired of the haters. Please watch the Chiefs or the Lions if you'd rather -- they'll make you happy.                                                                      

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I hear that from people all the time when I'm complaining about the state of the country right now.  LOL!  So, if you don't like some aspects of the Vikings, you certainly must hate the Vikings...don'tcha know?  😅  

Context matters. 

I never said you couldn't disagree with something Vikings -- I do -- but to say we shouldn't have re-signed a player who is leading the league in rushing because  he has to sit a game is so absurd that it comes off as hating a player.

Then -- nobody but me seems to point this out.

Can anybody in this Vikings forum appreciate Dalvin Cook? No?

1 minute ago, babababa said:

Then don't be a hater.

You didn't want to extend Cook at all. You complained right after the Vikings signed him. Dalvin Cook could run for 100 yards and you would complain he didn't catch a pass. 

He isn't Alvin Kamara right? He was injured last year. 

He isn't Austin Ekeler right? He's injured right now. 

He isn't McCaffrey right? He's injured right now.

Barkley...ditto

Now SOME posters are saying they regret the Vikings re-signed him despite his output this season? Why because he has to miss a game? NO it's because you don't like Dalvin Cook and the team philosophy. After next week he might still lead the lead in rushing, but we should have never re-signed him?

Truly I'm tired of the haters. Please watch the Chiefs or the Lions if you'd rather -- they'll make you happy.                                                                      

Someone disagreeing, and defending their position, isn’t a hater. 

Many of us weren’t keen on re-signing Cook, and none of the reasons had anything to do with Cook’s ability. We are all well aware of how talented Cook is. We are also well aware that he has yet to be available for an entire season. And it doesn’t look like this year will buck the trend. We are also well aware of what the analytics say about paying a running back. It’s not kind on the issue. And we are aware that a running back’s production can be replaced. Even if it takes a more running back by committee approach compared to using a work horse back. Just look at what Mattison and Boone continued to do with Cook out against Seattle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Many of us weren’t keen on re-signing Cook, and none of the reasons had anything to do with Cook’s ability. We are all well aware of how talented Cook is. We are also well aware that he has yet to be available for an entire season. And it doesn’t look like this year will buck the trend. We are also well aware of what the analytics say about paying a running back. It’s not kind on the issue. And we are aware that a running back’s production can be replaced. Even if it takes a more running back by committee approach compared to using a work horse back. Just look at what Mattison and Boone continued to do with Cook out against Seattle.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Good arguments for your analytics perspective -- I admit.

That said we're talking about expressing regret over the team re-signing Cook over a minor injury -- not a blown out knee or severe concussion.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Groin injuries for a running back aren’t minor. Like a hamstring, it doesn’t take much to reaggravate. And it can easily lead to a season long issue. 

It's not a severe groin injury. From what I've read he'll he'll probably be ready in a few weeks. 

If it was a sever injury the man would be on IR right now. 

Edited by babababa