Dexter: New Blood - Ep 1

INbengalfan

On a potential spinoff:

While there are currently no official plans in the works for a Season 2 or Harrison-centric offshoot (yet), Phillips, who oversaw the first four seasons of the series’ original run, is game to revisit the world of dark passengers and tortured killers.

“It’s all in Showtime’s hands,” he says. “If they were to call me and say, ‘We want to do Harrison. We want you to figure it out,’ I’m pretty busy, but I would drop everything I’m doing and jump right into it. I would love to do it, but it’s really up to Showtime.”

https://tvline.com/2022/01/08/dexter-new-blood-season-2-renewal-clyde-phillips-interview/

My thoughts on the finale

Spoiler

Ultimately, I wanted more and therefore don't like that he died. If someone sat me down and guaranteed me that this was the last piece of this universe we would see, I would be fine with it. My only complaint is lack of a wrap up, but that's neither here nor there. 

All the story beats to get to this point flowed nicely. Everything about Dexter was exposed, including all the collateral damage in his wake. However, killing Logan was so outside of the code, which has always been gospel, it felt out of place to me. Can anyone remember another time where he broke the code so blatantly before? Like I get it, they needed that crystalizing moment for Harrison to put it all together, but I am not sure breaking the code was the right move. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Not sure why the ending is getting so much hate. 

Spoiler

Because the power of google beat him, how is it possible a serial killer was living amongst them for 25 years in Kurt and Angela didn’t even have a clue, but Dexter gets his name revealed and 1 cop, not Miami metro, not batista and one kid who he got very close to ended him. I wanted season 2 to have some sort of chase going into LA, also if Angela was taking the fall for dexter why the hell did Harrison have to leave?

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Hide contents

Ultimately, I wanted more and therefore don't like that he died. If someone sat me down and guaranteed me that this was the last piece of this universe we would see, I would be fine with it. My only complaint is lack of a wrap up, but that's neither here nor there. 

All the story beats to get to this point flowed nicely. Everything about Dexter was exposed, including all the collateral damage in his wake. However, killing Logan was so outside of the code, which has always been gospel, it felt out of place to me. Can anyone remember another time where he broke the code so blatantly before? Like I get it, they needed that crystalizing moment for Harrison to put it all together, but I am not sure breaking the code was the right move. 

Spoiler

The first rule of his code is don’t get caught tho, so if he has to kill an innocent he didn’t hesitate, just like he was going to kill Laguerta. But like I’ve been saying to other people, if Dexter would have just led off with revealing Kurt’s trophies it would have helped his story of Kurt framing him

• Like 1

Spoiler

Not a fan of the ending. Dexter would not kill someone innocent. This was forced and intentional writing so fans wouldn’t feel bad about his death and he deserved it. I’m not falling for it. Clear forced writing that doesn’t make sense to deliver an intended outcome.  

15 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

100%. It was forced writing that didn’t make sense, to make the outcome possible. Lazy and lame. 

14 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:
  Hide contents

The first rule of his code is don’t get caught tho, so if he has to kill an innocent he didn’t hesitate, just like he was going to kill Laguerta. But like I’ve been saying to other people, if Dexter would have just led off with revealing Kurt’s trophies it would have helped his story of Kurt framing him

Spoiler

Still doesn’t make sense because they didn’t have enough evidence on him for the killings, and the Kurt thing would of made him looked framed as well. Even without being framed, the screw thing would have never held up in court by itself. 

as for the Bay Harbor Butcher, Dexter always cleaned up great. There wasn’t going to be anything but circumstantial evidence. 

Dexter was in no danger. Killing Logan completely out of character was forced writing to deliver an intended outcome. Aka lazy writing. 

Spoiler

Would have preferred to see more about Angela finding all the bodies. Maybe something like she thanks him for killing Kurt and tells him to never come back again. I wanted to see her reaction, that was her entire career.  I think he could have weaseled his way out of things instead of killing Logan. 

Spoiler

IGN posted a potentially awesome idea in their review of the episode.  If Showtime wants to take advantage of this season's success they could have Dexter behind bars in a "Silence of the Lambs" role, catching killers.  Maybe even go as far to unleash him to kill a serial killer that keeps slipping away.  Would be awesome, I think MCH would be great as that, but may be hard to pull off after the gunshot.  Really wish we could have more!  Just need MCH to get on a new show then.

I liked it. I'm lazy and don't want to type it out on my phone. Maybe tomorrow when I'm on my PC for work

One thing is for certain, I'm guessing we're all happy compared to what we got before. For that reason, I'm definitely good. I'd put this behind 4, then 1 as my favorite Dexter season. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, Deadpulse said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

That was my only issue with it. Had I known this was it going into the season, I'd be completely satisfied at the ending but now I just feel kind of empty. It really was a perfect way to wrap the series up though so I can't complaint too much. 

He tried to kill Laguerta too and I'm sure there's a handful of other instances where he may have thought about it, but wanting to be there for Harrison seemed to have trumped the code, which is exciting that we saw some major growth right before his demise. He killed Logan because he needed to be there for Harrison and in the end, he realized that the best way to be there for Harrison was to let him go. 

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:
  Hide contents

Still doesn’t make sense because they didn’t have enough evidence on him for the killings, and the Kurt thing would of made him looked framed as well. Even without being framed, the screw thing would have never held up in court by itself. 

as for the Bay Harbor Butcher, Dexter always cleaned up great. There wasn’t going to be anything but circumstantial evidence. 

Dexter was in no danger. Killing Logan completely out of character was forced writing to deliver an intended outcome. Aka lazy writing. 

Spoiler

Batista was bringing all of Laguerta's evidence on him. He was dead to rights. In the end, the only thing that mattered to him was to do right by his son and while he thought breaking out of jail was what Harrison needed, in the end he realized the best thing he could do was let Harrison put all of this behind him. 

Overall, it was an absolute gut punch but a perfect comeback season IMO. Clyde Phillips knocked it out of the park again. 

Edited by JonStark
  • Like 2

Spoiler

The more I think about it, the more satisfied I am with the ending. If you told me a few years ago they would be able to pull off a return season and do the ending justice, I don't know if I would've believed you. A lot of people are upset, but I'm pretty sure it's just an emotional reaction to the series being over after such a great return. Dexter is my second favorite show of all time and I'm sad to see it go, but the conclusion was one of the best ways they could have done it. 

The show had to end eventually so he was either going to die or get caught, leading people to say "Oh Dex wouldn't have done that". It was inevitable. He has always toed the line in-between good and evil (although the upset people would claim he's always been good), but the thought of not being there for his son pushed him over the edge and it was too far to come back from. Harrison saying "look at what you've done" and Dex's character growing to being at peace with doing what was best for his son was a perfect bookend for his story. 

There's a difference between being upset that the series is over and saying that the ending wasn't satisfying. I'm honestly not sure that I can think of a better way for it to have concluded. Would I have liked a season before this to give us more time? Sure, but as a final season this is everything I could've hoped for and more. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JonStark said:
  Hide contents

The more I think about it, the more satisfied I am with the ending. If you told me a few years ago they would be able to pull off a return season and do the ending justice, I don't know if I would've believed you. A lot of people are upset, but I'm pretty sure it's just an emotional reaction to the series being over after such a great return. Dexter is my second favorite show of all time and I'm sad to see it go, but the conclusion was one of the best ways they could have done it. 

The show had to end eventually so he was either going to die or get caught, leading people to say "Oh Dex wouldn't have done that". It was inevitable. He has always toed the line in-between good and evil (although the upset people would claim he's always been good), but the thought of not being there for his son pushed him over the edge and it was too far to come back from. Harrison saying "look at what you've done" and Dex's character growing to being at peace with doing what was best for his son was a perfect bookend for his story. 

There's a difference between being upset that the series is over and saying that the ending wasn't satisfying. I'm honestly not sure that I can think of a better way for it to have concluded. Would I have liked a season before this to give us more time? Sure, but as a final season this is everything I could've hoped for and more. 

Exactly this.  I didn't like it when watching, but it was a great way to end it, and it had to end at some point.

The same kind of feeling I had o at the end of 24 when the Russians kidnapped Jack, never to be seen again

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ViolenceIsYourFriend said:

This was terrible! I loved the season, but the ending was atrocious. Worst than their last snafu.

And I disagree with everyone that thinks this was always how it had to end. Why? Dexter didn’t have to always lead to death or jail. I’ve seen so many people suggest that. Idk..

It kinda did though. How else does it 'end'? He isn't rehabilitating, so in order for his story to end it has to be death or jail.